Report: “Another Disconnect” Between Botterill and Krueger

That Aud Smell

Pretty interesting stuff. As per usual, with discussions using stats, I am left with some questions.

He says that dumping the puck in just gives up possession, which is silly. He must have know that because he then says that we were actually 13th in the league at recovering the puck, but still at only 33% recovery. So, 67% loss of possession.

My question is what is the turnover % when carrying the puck in. Unless it’s drastically different, then he’s just cherry-picking stats to make a point.

Still an interesting read.

Edited by SwampD

32 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Can you update Tweets? I don remember seeing “more on it tomorrow” last night.

No idea.  The tweet in the OP says it though.

54 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Dude. This guy is far from what I call a “writer”.    Modern day journalist maybe. Using gifs of Joey to get you to read his ambiguous tweet is not “writing”.    Whether he has a story or not we shall see.  Whether his story is credible, who knows? 

He writes articles about the Buffalo Sabres and post them on websites.  Call it what you want I suppose.

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Pretty interesting stuff. As per usual, with discussions using stats, I am left with some questions.

He says that dumping the puck in just gives up possession, which is silly. He must have know that because he then says that we were actually 13th in the league at recovering the puck, but still at only 33% recovery. So, 67% loss of possession.

My question is what is the turnover % when carrying the puck in. Unless it’s drastically different, then he’s just cherry-picking stats to make a point.

Still an interesting read.

I don’t have numbers in front of me, but it’s pretty well established that carrying the puck in is more likely to lead to sustained offensive zone possession.  Now, carrying the puck in is not always feasible and sometimes you just have to dump it in, but its much better to design a “system” with the goal of carrying it in as much as possible.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t have numbers in front of me, but it’s pretty well established that carrying the puck in is more likely to lead to sustained offensive zone possession.  Now, carrying the puck in is not always feasible and sometimes you just have to dump it in, but its much better to design a “system” with the goal of carrying it in as much as possible.

True, but if the numbers say that the Sabres were really bad at carrying the puck in, then it’s not a disconnect, it’s a change to plan B cuz plan A sucked.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

True, but if the numbers say that the Sabres were really bad at carrying the puck in, then it’s not a disconnect, it’s a change to plan B cuz plan A sucked.

Yeah, we went through these discussions with Bylsma too. It’s very chicken and egg.  Do we suck at possession BECAUSE we dump it in, or do we suck at possession THEREFORE we dump it in.

Two coaches now out of three that didn’t seem to trust this roster to successfully carry the puck into the o zone.  And the one that did game plan carrying it in was a failure as a head coach.

Not that the other two lit the world on fire.....

• Like (+1) 2

So -- nothing in the article about tensions or disagreements between RK and JB?  Just an observation that JB wants to the team to enter with possession, and the team in fact played more of a dump and chase game?

What a BS clickbait move by the writer. 

Credibility diminished.

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So -- nothing in the article about tensions or disagreements between RK and JB?  Just an observation that JB wants to the team to enter with possession, and the team in fact played more of a dump and chase game?

Credibility diminished.

In general I like Chad, and think that he has interesting things to say, but I agree.  Very clickbait.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Credibility diminished.

I’m gonna mostly agree. Shame on you, Chad! One more trick like that and we’ll be calling you Chet.

I mean, I think he can plausibly defend that he didn’t intend to connote a personal conflict when he referenced a disconnect. But, that’s how I read it.

Someone upthread intuited that this was going to be a stats-based inference piece, not a sourced piece. Whodat? 

12 hours ago, Lanny said:

This is him doing analysis of player deployment and roster building. Maybe poor choice of words on his part, but it’s not “confirmed from a source” type of thing. 

3 hours ago, Curt said:

No idea.  The tweet in the OP says it though.

He writes articles about the Buffalo Sabres and post them on websites.  Call it what you want I suppose.

This page reloads from Twitter each time though. If he updated his Twitter, the OP would update.

32 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Good call @Lanny.

Also, I may be somewhat to blame here? Maybe I just misread Chad’s (Chet’s??) intent.

/Insert Roseanna Danna Danna “never mind” gif

It wasn't Roseanne Roseannadanna; it was Emily Litella.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Litella

Never mind.

36 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Before I click, is there any meat on these bones or is it just more nonsense?

Meat. 

I now have a better understanding for why Dahlin was so bad for chunks of the year. Any coach telling Dahlin to play dump and chase should be fired. 

"In Corey’s data, Dahlin had a carry-in per 60 minutes rate of 3.5 and a carry-in percentage of 55% in his rookie year. This season, the carry-in rate per 60 minutes dropped to 2.56 and a carry-in percentage of 34%."

Fire the entire coaching staff, fire the gm, fire the scouting staff, and start the ***** over. This team is a nightmare and I will be spending 0 dollars on them until they stop being completely clueless. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Meat. 

I now have a better understanding for why Dahlin was so bad for chunks of the year. Any coach telling Dahlin to play dump and chase should be fired. 

"In Corey’s data, Dahlin had a carry-in per 60 minutes rate of 3.5 and a carry-in percentage of 55% in his rookie year. This season, the carry-in rate per 60 minutes dropped to 2.56 and a carry-in percentage of 34%."

Fire the entire coaching staff, fire the gm, fire the scouting staff, and start the ***** over. This team is a nightmare and I will be spending 0 dollars on them until they stop being completely clueless. 

Thank you.  I will read.

For what it's worth, they've got to get rid of Cousin Oliver, too.  The equipment manager.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.