John McDonough Fired By the Hawks

GASabresIUFAN

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/blackhawks-fire-president-ceo-john-mcdonough-in-shocking-shakeup/

Any interest in bringing him in to oversea Jbot and the hockey team.?

No.  As I've said before, this level of management is superfluous.  If Botterill can't get it done, fire Botterill and hire a different GM.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Is he?  He hired Stan Bowman (who I'm not a huge fan of) and he approved the huge contract for Seabrook and others? 

It goes back to this:

People don't think that the Pegulas are competent enough to hire a GM (despite the fact that they have done so in football, but let's not digress).

So what makes them competent to hire a president to oversee the GM?  Nothing, right?

So then they probably should hire someone to oversee the president who oversees the GM.

And then someone to oversee THAT person.  Etc.

It becomes a reverse "House that Jack Built," and I mean the nursery rhyme, not what we hope Eichel will do.

Just get a better GM and start winning and all of this silliness goes out the window.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2

He had nothing to do with Hawks winning.  He was a PR guy from the CUBS.  He has a massive ego that would never mesh with Kim P.  That was a bunch of good drafts, and Bill Wirtz died.  When he died hockey was put on local TV, and they started hiring good people.  I wish Stan Bowman would come to Buffalo. He can manage a salary cap and is not afraid to make trades.  The bad signings they are stuck with were john m mandating keeping players for pr reasons after they won cups.  Seabrook, Crawford, toews etc...  Toews is at best a second line center now, and was never the game changer kane is.  They pay them both the same for a long time.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

No.  As I've said before, this level of management is superfluous.  If Botterill can't get it done, fire Botterill and hire a different GM.

you are dead on about this.  keep non sports people out of the bills and sabres.  They offer nothing.  Build a winning team and the fans come, and you will make money.

1 hour ago, Xzy89c said:

He had nothing to do with Hawks winning.  He was a PR guy from the CUBS.  He has a massive ego that would never mesh with Kim P.  That was a bunch of good drafts, and Bill Wirtz died.  When he died hockey was put on local TV, and they started hiring good people.  I wish Stan Bowman would come to Buffalo. He can manage a salary cap and is not afraid to make trades.  The bad signings they are stuck with were john m mandating keeping players for pr reasons after they won cups.  Seabrook, Crawford, toews etc...  Toews is at best a second line center now, and was never the game changer kane is.  They pay them both the same for a long time.

You need proof of the second for me to believe at all in the first. Right now Chicago looks like a cap nightmare. 

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

It goes back to this:

People don't think that the Pegulas are competent enough to hire a GM (despite the fact that they have done so in football, but let's not digress).

So what makes them competent to hire a president to oversee the GM?  Nothing, right?

So then they probably should hire someone to oversee the president who oversees the GM.

And then someone to oversee THAT person.  Etc.

It becomes a reverse "House that Jack Built," and I mean the nursery rhyme, not what we hope Eichel will do.

Just get a better GM and start winning and all of this silliness goes out the window.

I can simplify things. Terry's the hockey president. He needs to hire his own replacement and go away.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PASabreFan said:

I can simplify things. Terry's the hockey president. He needs to hire his own replacement and go away.

He doesn't act as a hockey president, he and Kim always will head the organization no matter how many people with titles there are, and let's not start this white zone red zone ***** again.  

Edited by Eleven

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

He doesn't act as a hockey president, and let's not start this white zone red zone ***** again.  

Don't hockey presidents make the big decisions about a franchise, like when to "go for it" and when to "tank"? When to cut a franchise player loose? Don't they hire and fire GMs? Don't they have a big say in who the GM hires to coach the team, maybe even having the final say?

I don't know what the zone theory is.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Don't hockey presidents make the big decisions about a franchise, like when to "go for it" and when to "tank"? When to cut a franchise player loose? Don't they hire and fire GMs? Don't they have a big say in who the GM hires to coach the team, maybe even having the final say?

I don't know what the zone theory is.

Only if there isn't a GM already doing that job.  I'm not going to repeat what I wrote above (which I also have written before); at some level, the Pegulas *will* be responsible for hiring the ultimate decision maker.  I know you don't like it, but that's just the way it is unless and until they no longer own the team.

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Only if there isn't a GM already doing that job.  I'm not going to repeat what I wrote above (which I also have written before); at some level, the Pegulas *will* be responsible for hiring the ultimate decision maker.  I know you don't like it, but that's just the way it is unless and until they no longer own the team.

Well, "Airplane" is a classic film, but I'm not sure it's fair to expect everyone to know the red zone/white zone theory based on this clip.

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I know where you're getting that from.  As much of an ass as Jerry Krause was, he made the deal to get Scottie Pippen.  He hired Phil Jackson as coach. He drafted Horace Grant. He traded Charles Oakley for Bill Cartwright. He drafted BJ Armstrong, he brought in Dennis Rodman.

Players do win games, but somebody needs to get the players onto the team.

'Crumbs' certainly gets credit for the building around MJ, but his quote (out of context or not) is uniquely tied to a Dynasty that was elevated by the best player to ever play the game.    I agree with all of the above, and throw in Tony Kukoc as a second round pick.   But here is where I dissent.  MJ established his dominance in year 2 (1985) but it took Jerry 6 years  (7 if you include the 90/91 year) to win their first championship.  Can you imagine if JB was given another 4 years to get the job done?  He also has to own the collapse after Jordan left.  The next two years they finished D.F.L. in the Central.  Other points include his decision bring in Tim Floyd as head coach in 97, which was over-ruled by the owner himself.  And lastly he once proposed to Reinsdorf trading Jordan. 

Bringing it back to the Sabres, I tend to agree with others that TPegs in not a great leader and weak ownership coupled with a below average GM is why we are in the state we are in.  Could a President of Hockey Operations Executive help, probably. Is this the guy?  Not sure.  

p.s. Most fascinating thing I learned about Krause from The Final Dance was his affiliation with Reinsdorf came from time spent as a Scout for the White Sox.  In a day and age where most GM's have some kind of playing career in that sport, to jump from MLB to the NBA and not having played either (obviously) is incredible.  

32 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

'Crumbs' certainly gets credit for the building around MJ, but his quote (out of context or not) is uniquely tied to a Dynasty that was elevated by the best player to ever play the game.    I agree with all of the above, and throw in Tony Kukoc as a second round pick.   But here is where I dissent.  MJ established his dominance in year 2 (1985) but it took Jerry 6 years  (7 if you include the 90/91 year) to win their first championship.  Can you imagine if JB was given another 4 years to get the job done?  He also has to own the collapse after Jordan left.  The next two years they finished D.F.L. in the Central.  Other points include his decision bring in Tim Floyd as head coach in 97, which was over-ruled by the owner himself.  And lastly he once proposed to Reinsdorf trading Jordan. 

Bringing it back to the Sabres, I tend to agree with others that TPegs in not a great leader and weak ownership coupled with a below average GM is why we are in the state we are in.  Could a President of Hockey Operations Executive help, probably. Is this the guy?  Not sure.  

p.s. Most fascinating thing I learned about Krause from The Final Dance was his affiliation with Reinsdorf came from time spent as a Scout for the White Sox.  In a day and age where most GM's have some kind of playing career in that sport, to jump from MLB to the NBA and not having played either (obviously) is incredible.  

What makes you think that svelte looking specimen Crumbs (love that you perpetuated the nickname) wasn't a two sport athlete like MJ.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.