Per Dreger Sabres 2020 First Pick Maybe Available

Brawndo

On the Instigators this AM, Dreger mentioned that the Sabres might be willing to trade their 2020 First for immediate help. This is dependent on where the Sabres Pick is after the lottery. If it remains in the 6-9 range,  it could be moved for the it will be the talk leading up to the draft per Dreger

A cost controlled center from a cap strapped team, might be the move. 

The concern is with the Sabres Prospect Pool having a dearth of forwards is this the best move?  Would this be the act of a desperate GM who has a win or else ultimatum? 

Depending the return I could be on board with this 

There is no depth before there is a good team on the ice first.  It would have to be the right player at the right position, but I would do it.

Who's got a good 2C, 24-27 yrs old, on a team with cap issues?

Could we move the 1st rd pick for a goalie?  What would that look like?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

There is no depth before there is a good team on the ice first.  It would have to be the right player at the right position, but I would do it.

Who's got a good 2C, 24-27 yrs old, on a team with cap issues?

Could we move the 1st rd pick for a goalie?  What would that look like?

Yup. You absolutely trade that pick for the right player. 

51 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

On the Instigators this AM, Dreger mentioned that the Sabres might be willing to trade their 2020 First for immediate help. This is dependent on where the Sabres Pick is after the lottery. If it remains in the 6-9 range,  it could be moved for the it will be the talk leading up to the draft per Dreger

A cost controlled center from a cap strapped team, might be the move

The concern is with the Sabres Prospect Pool having a dearth of forwards is this the best move?  Would this be the act of a desperate GM who has a win or else ultimatum? 

Depending the return I could be on board with this 

There are several players meeting that description I would trade that pick for. I would throw something else in to sweeten the pot.
In fact, it is the move I would most like to see Botterill do, as long as the player is good

If it is for Dylan Strome or someone on that level, I might give myself up for COVID-19 research.

• Haha (+1) 2

Again, this dearth if forward talent is so overblown. They have four relatively young, top six forwards plus Dylan Cozens. Throw in whoever you trade the pick for and that’s six. You have plenty of other young guys to then battle it out for the third line and a still young veteran fourth line.

You shouldn’t need another top forward for two years although you’d expect to get lucky with one. I get it, you always want a pipeline full of prospects but this team should be on the cusp of contending for a few years with a 2C and a 1G. If it is, no one will care who the top twenty prospects will be.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Neo said:

He, he, he ... No, seriously, he’s really good. 

The past few years, he has been a 40-50 point guy.  With last season being his least productive.  You would be getting his age 30-33 seasons for $5M per.  He would be good for the Sabres as a veteran stop gap type option, but I’m not sure if he is worth a top-10 pick in a very good draft.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Your top draft pick could end up being Nylander, Grigorenkp or Girgensons?  Unless it is a top five pick, I would always look at trading pick for a young proven player already in the NHL.

You're missing the forest through the trees. You devalue those picks because Buffalo is and remains bad at drafting. Grigs and Girgs actually are bad examples for this. Nylander should have been Sergachev. You want to trade the pick because you don't have faith in buffalo getting it right, not because the talent you get there isn't good enough. 

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Aren't the Sabres one of the "cash strapped" teams now?  Based on everything Pegula.  

No.  They have been willing to consistently spend to the cap.  They will have some cap space to add salary/talent next season.

Its possible that through some financial misfortune, that could all change now, but I don’t think it’s particularly likely.

While I’d be ok if we traded pick 8 or 9 for Cirelli, I’m not sure there is anyone else I’d do that for.  

If he draft 6 or 7 I’d prefer to keep the pick because I like Rossi and think he’ll still be there at that time.

Also please stop floating this “we are bad a drafting” spin.  TM was bad at drafting.  DR was mediocre at drafting but at least his top tier guys are NHL players like McCabe, Risto, Zadorov, Girgensons etc.

JB is still an unknown.  UPL is a consensus top goaltending prospect.  Portillo was named a 1st team USHL all-star, Cozens an MVP.  Once Pekar, Samuelsson, Laaksonen, Davidsson, Cozens etc hit the pros we’ll have a much better idea if Jbot has succeeded or failed in that department.  Just because you unhappy that he drafted Johnson over a forward on your list doesn’t make him “bad at drafting”.

Most of our problems with depth seems to me at least to come from so few late surprises and so many more 2-3 rd failures.  Back 2005 much of that team was built on successful 2nd/3rd rd picks like Pommers and Roy, Tallinder and Max, coupled late round successes like Miller, Campbell, Gaustad, and Kotalik.

VO and Ullmark are the only late rd successes and I think McCabe, a DR pick, is the only Sabres 2nd rd pick on the roster.

TB’s Point and Cirelli are 3rd picks I believe. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Your top draft pick could end up being Nylander, Grigorenkp or Girgensons?  Unless it is a top five pick, I would always look at trading pick for a young proven player already in the NHL.

A YOUNG proven player?  Absolutely. I would make this trade most years.  

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You're missing the forest through the trees. You devalue those picks because Buffalo is and remains bad at drafting. Grigs and Girgs actually are bad examples for this. Nylander should have been Sergachev. You want to trade the pick because you don't have faith in buffalo getting it right, not because the talent you get there isn't good enough. 

I'm not sure that Buffalo misses on its first-rounders significantly more often than any other team.    

Sabres'  first-rounders since 2010 that were not in the top five overall:  Cozens, Mittelstadt, Nylander, Ristolainen, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia, Pysyk.  All of them are either in the league (Grigorenko coming back) or still a prospect.

Bruins' first-rounders in the same time period, also no top-five overall:  Beecher, Vaakainen, McAvoy, Frederic, Zboril, DeBrusk, Senyshyn, Pastrnak, M. Subban,  Hamilton.  I don't see this as appreciably better. Pastrnak was an extraordinary find, but some of these guys never made and never will make it in the NHL.

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

A YOUNG proven player?  Absolutely. I would make this trade most years.  

I'm not sure that Buffalo misses on its first-rounders significantly more often than any other team.    

Sabres'  first-rounders since 2010 that were not in the top five overall:  Cozens, Mittelstadt, Nylander, Ristolainen, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia, Pysyk.  All of them are either in the league (Grigorenko coming back) or still a prospect.

Bruins' first-rounders in the same time period, also no top-five overall:  Beecher, Vaakainen, McAvoy, Frederic, Zboril, DeBrusk, Senyshyn, Pastrnak, M. Subban,  Hamilton.  I don't see this as appreciably better. Pastrnak was an extraordinary find, but some of these guys never made and never will make it in the NHL.

And none of this happens in a vacuum. Check out the 2012 draft after Girgensons. There’s a few that would be considered a huge upgrade.

Edited by tom webster

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

And none of this happens in a vacuum. Check out the 2012 draft after Girgensons. I think you have two guys Vasilewski and Hertl and no one else through three rounds that made it in the first three rounds.

Oh definitely.  Another reason I'd go with a proven commodity rather than roll the dice.  

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.