Why Can’t Gallant Keep A HC Job?

GASabresIUFAN

Probably the Ted Nolan effect. Though I think he probably coaches a little better than Nolan, the principle of his system always seems to be playing with speed and nothing else. It's a good message if your goal is to establish a hard working "culture", but at some point maybe the players are looking for more than just "skate hard".

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Probably the Ted Nolan effect. Though I think he probably coaches a little better than Nolan, the principle of his system always seems to be playing with speed and nothing else. It's a good message if your goal is to establish a hard working "culture", but at some point maybe the players are looking for more than just "skate hard".

This is likely the easiest explanation, and yet their first round versus SJ last year showed me some of the most gorgeous hockey I've ever seen. Hard to think that was a product of something too simple to hang onto the coach for. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

This is likely the easiest explanation, and yet their first round versus SJ last year showed me some of the most gorgeous hockey I've ever seen. Hard to think that was a product of something too simple to hang onto the coach for. 

Actually, the easiest explanation is that, as he's a "players coach" and a former player himself and has success on the ice, he has never made the internal transition in his own head that he's "management" now and not "one of the boys."

Purely speculation here, but when successful people find themselves losing their job they more often than not have done something to piss their boss off.  My guess is that he is, shall we say, blunt, for lack of a better word, when talking with the GM and owners and owners tend not to be pleased when they are spoken to bluntly.  The players love him, the teams perform above expectations.  As soon as they slump, he's gone.  He's not given the opportunity to get out of it.  That says, clear as day, that he pisses his bosses off.

For crying out loud, when he was fired from Florida they wouldn't even get him a cab to the airport, much less a flight home.  The guy is a great coach.  I've advocated for him being Buffalo's coach in the past.  But after Murray being the GM, there's no way the Pegjlas would hire him.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 6

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.