Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LGR4GM

Pegula Sports Entertainment, behind the scenes

Recommended Posts

Just now, Gabrielor said:

Given your position, and since you don't seem to mind discussing it:

His plan had too many failings of this own doing. We're a team that lacks NHL talent, lacks prospect pool talent, lacks picks, and is up against the cap, so much that overage costs will incur. Those 4 conditions shouldn't be possible simaltaneously.

He championed youth and building from the draft (great idea), but failed to put proper NHLers ahead of those developing (which is why Mittelstadt is tanking), and burned all kinds of picks on temporary players making little/no impact. Meanwhile, you can argue that Rochester's recent success was largely on the backs of guys who are career AHLers, and wouldn't end up effecting the Sabres. He also let Phil Housley coach more than one year after gaming a near 80 point team tank to last place. (and I won't belabor O'Reilly here, but we'll see it on all-time worst lists forever now)

Don't read this as any kind of attack. I'm merely curious in how someone could view Jason Botterill as anything other than the primary reason we're a NHL laughingstock.

 

 

First, I don't consider your response as an attack and don't take it as such.

On the issue of player development I do agree that Mitts and Tage were rushed. That was a mistake. That is not to say that both of them have been irredeemably been damaged. Tage should be a contributor this season. With Mitts I'm not sure. 

Where I disagree with most posters here is that I believe that Botts had a more long term plan than most people here were willing to tolerate. I'm not arguing that he has been a resounding success because it is obvious that it is not the case. What I do believe is this franchise from a talent standpoint is not as barren as most people portray it to be. It's my opinion that if this staff can make a few consequential personnel decisions this offseason this roster will be be meaningfully upgraded. And I do believe that it was the fired GM who put this franchise in a good position to be able to make those decisions. Will this regime take advantage of the situation this offseason? I certainly hope so. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnC said:

First, I don't consider your response as an attack and don't take it as such.

On the issue of player development I do agree that Mitts and Tage were rushed. That was a mistake. That is not to say that both of them have been irredeemably been damaged. Tage should be a contributor this season. With Mitts I'm not sure. 

Where I disagree with most posters here is that I believe that Botts had a more long term plan than most people here were willing to tolerate. I'm not arguing that he has been a resounding success because it is obvious that it is not the case. What I do believe is this franchise from a talent standpoint is not as barren as most people portray it to be. It's my opinion that if this staff can make a few consequential personnel decisions this offseason this roster will be be meaningfully upgraded. And I do believe that it was the fired GM who put this franchise in a good position to be able to make those decisions. Will this regime take advantage of the situation this offseason? I certainly hope so. 

 

 

I made a big HFBoards post forever ago on our Defensive unit and pipeline vs Murray's last season. It was night and day. I still hold a large amount of hope for that pipeline, because of the various flavors it has: the Superstar (Dahlin) the Hjalmarsson (Johnson, Jokiharju) the toughness (Samuelsson, Borgen), the offense (Laaksonen), the transition (Bryson). So yeah, he built that very well (if at the expense of forwards with the Johnson/Samuelsson picks)

Regardless of the setup, I wouldn't have had much faith in this offseason if he was still here. History shows his 'good moves' count is 2, with room to argue for mayyybe a couple more. In 3 years.

 

I've probably taken this thread way off topic though, so I'll circle back to: I think Botterill was a terrible GM, and I hope that the bad moves / planning / team building / rushing prospects ends with him, and isn't also a trickle-down from the Pegulas.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think the remake of the hockey department was clearly the straw.

I also wonder if there were philosophical differences on how to use the cap space Botterill had accumulated this summer.

 

This is my reading too - the final straw, but I don't think that straw carries that much weight if they weren't reasonably dissatisfied with his performance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think the remake of the hockey department was clearly the straw.

I also wonder if there were philosophical differences on how to use the cap space Botterill had accumulated this summer.

 

Your first sentence is exactly what I have been propounding on the Botterill issue. My contention is that he would have been retained if he would have been willing to implement the organizational restructure that the owners sought. Kim stated after his release that they had numerous discussions with him after the season that came to no avail. Which clearly indicates that he wasn't on board. So he was fired. 

I'm not criticizing the owners because they were presiding over a franchise that was hemorrhaging money (one report was $37 m) with the results not coming close to being satisfactory. Terry P pointed out that under the revamp the scouting department would have less staff, less travel and more video. A change in the operation reflecting the imperative in cutting costs. That's not necessarily a bad thing because when faced with a fiscal calamity you are often forced to be more creative in how you operate. 

Kevin Adams was an in-house staffer who wasn't part of the hockey operation. He was spearheading the business side of the hockey enterprise that included youth hockey. You don't find it odd that there was no GM search process to find a replacement for the fired GM? The point that I'm driving at is that the imperative to change how the operation was run related to financial considerations. 

Make no mistake about what I'm saying here. I'm not criticizing the owners in dramatically changing how their hockey business was going to be run. And I do believe that this more austere (smaller) organization has a better ability to be more nimble and cohesive. When all is said and done the success of the franchise relates to the staff making better decisions. You can be a smaller outfit with less operating costs and still be a successful operation.   

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2020 at 3:23 PM, Gabrielor said:

I'm controversially a Buffalo-born Sabres fan who roots for the San Francisco 49ers, not the Bills, so I was fine with the Sabres as the focus 😀 

And that's fine. Just reminding you that the Bills are higher on the local pecking order. If you asked 100 Buffalo fans if you could have one team be great and the other total garbage, which team would you want to be great? The Bills would be selected 98 times.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And that's fine. Just reminding you that the Bills are higher on the local pecking order. If you asked 100 Buffalo fans if you could have one team be great and the other total garbage, which team would you want to be great? The Bills would be selected 98 times.

I’m one of the 2% 😂

I couldn’t possibly care less about the Buffalo Bills.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I’m one of the 2% 😂

I couldn’t possibly care less about the Buffalo Bills.

That's too bad because they are a looking like a dark horse for the Super Bowl in this crazy COVID season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's too bad because they are a looking like a dark horse for the Super Bowl in this crazy COVID season.

I don’t like the Bills mainly because I’m not a fan of the sport. I casually check it out about 4-6 quarters a season. So if they suck or if they are incredible, it just doesn’t move the needle for me. 🤷‍♂️

Hockey is my go to sport. Always has, always will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2020 at 12:20 PM, dudacek said:

Surprised this hasn’t gotten more attention given the suggestions they were in trouble in the wake of the recent layoffs:

”Pegulas’ net worth has not yet diminished during the economic downturn. In fact, from March 18, 2020 through June 17, it actually increased by 2% – from $5.0 billion to $5.1 billion.”

Looks to me more like a company taking steps to capitalize as best it can on the current climate than a company struggling to survive.

Again, the Pegulas were never in peril of going broke.  The concern was would they have the ST cash flows to keep the cash available to meet current liabilities.  

And their needing liquid assets to take advantage of LT opportunities the current recession have provided hasn't in any way added to the cash Adams has to spread around, much to all our chagrins.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I’m one of the 2% 😂 

I couldn’t possibly care less about the Buffalo Bills.

Right there with you.  Hockey is far and away the #1 sport in this household.

Bills are typically the #2 team but there have been times that the Bandits were a far more fun team to watch.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...