Pegula Sports Entertainment, behind the scenes

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

You really want to come on a forum with some of the most knowledgeable Sabres fans on the planet and try and tell us to think about the ROR trade from a different angle? 

ROR won a Stanley Cup. The Sabres haven't won a playoff game since 2011. A playoff round since 2007. A Stanley Cup in their history. What a terrible weak argument to try and say the ROR trade had to be made. It didn't. The Pegulas wanted it to be made and Botterill did it. It was and probably will be the worst trade in Sabres history for a long time. At least in the Hasek trade he forced his way out. ROR was under contract for 4 more years. They did NOTHING to replace him. They then ended up at the bottom of the league 2 years in a row. What a great ***** trade. That is why I don't spend money on this anymore. The Sabres keep doing stupid things and as a fan I have had enough. A blind man knew that trade was trash.

He was a piece to our puzzle. He was the best 2 way forward on the team. He was the only 2nd line center we had. He was the only legit top 6 center besides Eichel we had. This is completely indifensible and I can only assume you are associated with PSE. No actual fan of this team in their right mind thinks the ROR was good at this point. The man won a Cup immediately after leaving but he was not the "right piece" for Buffalo. Guess winning Cups isn't the right piece. What a joke. 

The funny thing about any topic on any message board is that the discussion of the topic almost invariably gets worse in quality as time goes on. The depth of the ROR discussion now, and the points made by this poster, pale in comparison even to the points made by the pro-trade crowd in the months after it went down. The discussion built up from foundational points to a lofty height, and it's been so long that he's rehashing some of the original points at the bottom of the mountain, and nobody has the energy to walk all the way through to the understanding we all left off at like a year ago 

13 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The funny thing about any topic on any message board is that the discussion of the topic almost invariably gets worse in quality as time goes on. The depth of the ROR discussion now, and the points made by this poster, pale in comparison even to the points made by the pro-trade crowd in the months after it went down. The discussion built up from foundational points to a lofty height, and it's been so long that he's rehashing some of the original points at the bottom of the mountain, and nobody has the energy to walk all the way through to the understanding we all left off at like a year ago 

Bingo.

I was one of those people who tried to defend the O'Reilly trade when it happened and, with the perspective of hindsight, it's simply impossible to do anymore.

The only way someone could defend the O'Reilly trade is if they were shilling for the people who made the trade happen: the Pegulas.

They wouldn't have been able to put a downpayment on their Superyacht if they'd had to pay O'Reilly's bonus.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Theana745 said:

On days like this it makes me wish the other fans on this message board were like those airing in the MSG promotional video. Anyways, I think this is a good place to pause this particular conversation for now. I understand that there's spirited debate on both sides here, and that's okay. Revisiting this conversation in a few days will do good for all of us.

BOTH SIDES!

Ha. Man, this content has had a little bit of errthang. What a wild ride this has been from/with @Theana745 ... btw, there's also a @Theana74 in the Members roster. 

19 hours ago, Theana745 said:

1) Arena experience is sound. You can't just yell about something without telling someone what's wrong with it. In regards to the food prices, you're paying for the atmosphere like anything else.

2) ROR decision was a good move. You can't have people who act recklessly and endanger lives in our organization. Simple as that. 

3) All teams have up and down periods. That's just the way of life sometimes. 

Thank you. Appreciate this

I can actually point to ways to fix the arena experience.  Don't assume.

I never brought up ROR, why did you choose to use him in your response to me?  Moreover, I'm not one of the posters who hates that the trade was made. The information I had about ROR was enough for me to want him gone. (Well, WANT is a strong word.. I understand why he needed to go.)

Yes, all teams have up and down periods.  When they are down, they lose money.  When they are completely mismanaged, they lose more money.

13 hours ago, Theana745 said:

I don't know what to say anymore here. You get attacked from all sides if you say something from a different perspective. I really thought by coming online, I'd be able to bring people together. I think tensions are too hot right now with the article, COVID and perceptions percieved socital, socioecomic issues. Hopefully in a few days people will be more receptive to arguments with nuance 

You get attacked because your responses don't address situations.  Your responses repeat the same words over and over again. It's not a discussion, it's like listening to a talking display case.  Each time you push the button you get the same message.

My tensions are anything but high., COVID doesn't bother me, and I don't have preoccupations with socioeconomic issues.  I have a fundamental problem with a lack of critical thinking, especially the lack of it that you are applying in responses to me.

You're not making arguments, you are making statements.  Argument have supporting evidence.

Edited by LTS
edited my take on ROR a bit clarifying "WANT"
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LTS said:

You get attacked because your responses don't address situations.  Your responses repeat the same words over and over again. It's not a discussion, it's like listening to a talking display case.  Each time you push the button you get the same message.

This is why, if I had to bet, I would bet that this poster was a paid "viral PR" person.  It was all too canned.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

This is why, if I had to bet, I would bet that this poster was a paid "viral PR" person.  It was all too canned.

It doesn’t seem sophisticated enough to be professional.

I’m more inclined to think it’s someone having some ‘fun’ trolling (sorry PA, but I think it applies in this case).

Wasn’t it using a different name before?

35 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It doesn’t seem sophisticated enough to be professional.

I’m more inclined to think it’s someone having some ‘fun’ trolling (sorry PA, but I think it applies in this case).

Wasn’t it using a different name before?

"It" made me smirk a bit. I like it.

I still wouldn't call it trolling per se.

---

And the rich get richer. See also: Kerry, you're doing it wrong (or you're both full of *****).

https://www.fastcompany.com/90494347/american-billionaires-have-gotten-280-billion-richer-since-the-start-of-the-covid-19-pandemic

I have no attention span and just glanced through the article, which appeared to highlight the heads of Zoom and Amazon. 

No ***** those guys would be making more money than usual during a time when nobody is allowed to have in person meetings, and people are scared to shop in stores (or not allowed to buy "nonessential" items in some cases)

Why wouldn't they be?

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

I have no attention span and just glanced through the article, which appeared to highlight the heads of Zoom and Amazon. 

No ***** those guys would be making more money than usual during a time when nobody is allowed to have in person meetings, and people are scared to shop in stores (or not allowed to buy "nonessential" items in some cases)

Why wouldn't they be?

Did you not glance at the headline and the first paragraph? I know you have to rebel against everything your cyber-father posts, but no need to start playing dumb.

I brought you into this board and I can take you out!

In the same month that 22 million Americans lost their jobs, the American billionaire class’s total wealth increased about 10%—or $282 billion more than it was at the beginning of March. They now have a combined net worth of $3.229 trillion.

California and New York have the first and second most billionaires in the country with 276.  Kentucky has one.  Obviously, it’s compassionate that privileged New York pays its fair share and that humble, working class, Kentucky declares bankruptcy.

44 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Did you not glance at the headline and the first paragraph? I know you have to rebel against everything your cyber-father posts, but no need to start playing dumb.

I brought you into this board and I can take you out!

i did notice that! Then they gave those two examples, and I didn't find anything to outrage over and left.

Did they talk about the nature of that increase? Is it something gained illegitimately, to the detriment of the public, something like that? It can't have been driven by the gains of Zoom and Amazon, right? Genuine questions - I know less about the nature of wealth, capital, its creation and transfer, than you do in your typical warnings that precede your posts - by a lot. 

16 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

i did notice that! Then they gave those two examples, and I didn't find anything to outrage over and left.

Did they talk about the nature of that increase? Is it something gained illegitimately, to the detriment of the public, something like that? It can't have been driven by the gains of Zoom and Amazon, right? Genuine questions - I know less about the nature of wealth, capital, its creation and transfer, than you do in your typical warnings that precede your posts - by a lot. 

That is an ugly rock to look under. Unfortunately we’re long past that point that it needs to be analyzed.

You have two extremes. One where everyone makes exactly the same and the other where one person controls all the money and nobody has anything. We are hurtling towards the latter.

14 hours ago, Neo said:

California and New York have the first and second most billionaires in the country with 276.  Kentucky has one.  Obviously, it’s compassionate that privileged New York pays its fair share and that humble, working class, Kentucky declares bankruptcy.

What does this mean? 

22 hours ago, darksabre said:

Bingo.

I was one of those people who tried to defend the O'Reilly trade when it happened and, with the perspective of hindsight, it's simply impossible to do anymore.

The only way someone could defend the O'Reilly trade is if they were shilling for the people who made the trade happen: the Pegulas.

They wouldn't have been able to put a downpayment on their Superyacht if they'd had to pay O'Reilly's bonus.

That is the main problem I might have with the trade.  I wasn't, and still am not totally against trading him.  The team wasnt' much, if any better with him on it (at least as far as results go). The problem I have is...there were too many reports, too many rumors....on message board, twitter, and news reports from mostly credible reporters...that said if the Sabres paid his bonus they could have gotten a much better return.  I have to think that one of those reports/rumors were true (particularly that Carolina came up a lot)...and getting less in the trade than you could have gotten if you had paid the bonus...that is as much on ownership as on the GM.

22 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I could see that possibility.  I hesitate to assign it to that fully only because then I would have to "blame" the organization for another bad decision and without 100% proof I don't want to do it so I leave the "blame" at the poster level.

49 minutes ago, LTS said:

I could see that possibility.  I hesitate to assign it to that fully only because then I would have to "blame" the organization for another bad decision and without 100% proof I don't want to do it so I leave the "blame" at the poster level.

That's quite fair.  I was thinking of a scenario in which the organization hired a Pegula's friend's cousin's crappy PR firm, and the engagement included "viral marketing," and the PR firm assigned its 23-year-old entry level associate to peruse message boards, twitter etc and promote canned talking points, and there was little to no oversight, and the next thing you know there is someone posting here and sounding like he/she is from outer space.

• Haha (+1) 3