Pegula Sports Entertainment, behind the scenes

LGR4GM

11 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This goes to the point, I think, that the family's still pretty closely linked to oil & gas.

$300 million is not chump change, but compared to the $4 billion fortune when they largely got out of it, it's not a big deal.  The Pegula's are investing enough for a 20% stake.

IMO, they are not really very involved in the industry.  They are looking to make a few quick bucks, which is what business people do.  I will agree that while not very active, they are closely linked and have kept up good contacts in the oil and gas industry.  

Poor ol' Yuri's head must be spinning.

16 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

$300 million is not chump change, but compared to the $4 billion fortune when they largely got out of it, it's not a big deal.  The Pegula's are investing enough for a 20% stake.

IMO, they are not really very involved in the industry.  They are looking to make a few quick bucks, which is what business people do.  I will agree that while not very active, they are closely linked and have kept up good contacts in the oil and gas industry.  

I thought the 300 million was investor money.  They're basically using other peoples money (and some of their own) to acquire land and assets that they'll move later.  Buy for a dollar, sell for 2. 

16 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I’m gonna be buying some oil and energy stocks soon.

I bought a couple stocks on the downturn a couple months ago. Today, I’m glad I did.

Yeah, i thought the same with airline stock when it tanked.  But all it takes is to invest in the one that goes belly up and all your money goes to hell - so i was a tad nervous. 

22 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Yeah, i thought the same with airline stock when it tanked.  But all it takes is to invest in the one that goes belly up and all your money goes to hell - so i was a tad nervous. 

Did the same with the airlines. Anxiety every day watching them jump around lol

10 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Economic downturns always widen the gap. Those with liquidity or able to get liquid assets buy cheap. On a much different level, you want to buy a boat? There are deals to be had all over WNY.

Is this one for sale ...

https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/terry-pegulas-yacht-top-five/view/google/

My take is that they're desperate.  The gas industry made them rich.  They won't go broke, but it makes me feel that they realize they're way over they heads in the sports ownership business..

Edited by Tondas

6 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

A $60M stake isn’t really very involved?

I will say this: The fact that they’re getting back in the game with a bunch more cash (presumably) may speak to their liquidity. Or maybe they’re pushing a lot of their chips back into the game.

On 7/21/2020 at 9:03 PM, That Aud Smell said:

A $60M stake isn’t really very involved?

I will say this: The fact that they’re getting back in the game with a bunch more cash (presumably) may speak to their liquidity. Or maybe they’re pushing a lot of their chips back into the game.

They're raising money to basically buy out a bunch of people out.  They'll probably just flip the assets back to big companies for profit if i had to guess. 

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This reads as a fairly comprehensive overview of PSE. Not a deep dive, maybe, but it covers a lot of ground. 

https://news.littlesis.org/2020/08/04/new-pegula-fracking-venture-draws-investment-and-board-role-from-former-pennsylvania-governor-corbett/

It amazes what is considered publishable articles in today’s world. It’s almost incoherent, jumping back and forth, taking a few shots at the Pegulas, throws in a line about rookies being sent home, returns to start talking again about other investors.

Its like journal entries that can’t be tied together.

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

It amazes what is considered publishable articles in today’s world. It’s almost incoherent, jumping back and forth, taking a few shots at the Pegulas, throws in a line about rookies being sent home, returns to start talking again about other investors.

Its like journal entries that can’t be tied together.

The quality of journalism and well written pieces have gone downhill bad in the past 20+ years. It’s stark. I’m sure Those that are older than 35 or so can see the difference. In all aspects across all subjects. It’s very poor for the most part. 

19 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

The quality of journalism and well written pieces have gone downhill bad in the past 20+ years. It’s stark. I’m sure Those that are older than 35 or so can see the difference. In all aspects across all subjects. It’s very poor for the most part. 

I'm almost convinced that true journalism is a thing of the past.

26 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not positive that journalism is dead, but for the most part reporting is.  

Very few Wawrow's left out there.

I think there is still plenty of it, but not in the places us old farts used to find it.  More and more I think the international news outlets have the reporting we were used to.  And NPR and AP still do a respectable job.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I think there is still plenty of it, but not in the places us old farts used to find it.  More and more I think the international news outlets have the reporting we were used to.  And NPR and AP still do a respectable job.

I find NPR very one way in their reporting, commentary, and overall feel of the organization, and the quality has diminished over the years.

AP ... yea, that’s mich better in quality of reporting, journalism, and article writing. 
Still much different overall than 20+ years ago.

?‍♂️ 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/21/2020 at 2:28 PM, WildCard said:

Did the same with the airlines. Anxiety every day watching them jump around lol

Airline stocks are not great growth investments.  Sure there may be value for some of them when the inevitable recovery comes To those willing to wait.  There will more consolidation too. 

Im riding the Tech boom now.  Bought a bunch of QQQ after Covid hit.