Pegula Sports Entertainment, behind the scenes

LGR4GM

Russ Brandon was always going to hit back at some point.

Separately, this is troubling, mostly in the sense that after 10 years of the Sabres being run like a hobby, more suffering will have to happen before a corner is turned.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

This all reinforcers the worry I posted awhile back: Pegula's won't keep taking on dead money and will therefore keep Botterill

Yup.  I said it looked like we might be trending towards an internal budget time.  Certainly, the unlimited budget in off ice areas is a thing of the past.

• Like (+1) 1

"Sunlight is a great disinfectant."  May that turn out to be true.

They are clearly in way over their heads, particularly with the Sabres.  The problem seems to start with being too much fans while not being knowledgeable of sports business.

The Pegulas seem to have fallen into a personal version of false generalisation: just because they were good at one type of business does not mean they are good at another.  They are also finding that some of the habits they have in business have not transferred well to the Sabres: Terry is reputed to favour up-and-comers with new ideas and points of view over retreads.  In this vein, Tim Murray, Jason Botterill, and Brandon Beane are exactly the kinds of hires he made in business.  How many would have preferred a reputable retread for GM and Coach over what we have suffered through since the last lockout?

Now they need to retrench the business -- with the additional burden of having also compounded the offence by getting over-exuberant with its expansion.  This is very bad for the short term, but if they have learnt from their mistakes (no one becomes a billionaire without this), then they should get the ship righted -- eventually.   One change with the Sabres must be to get some experienced, reputable, high-character hockey people in company org chart.

29 minutes ago, Theana745 said:

Things are different now. Less stories now, less league action. Someone in the pegulla organization could easily be mad about COVID and the current state of affairs in regards to wealth in the country, hence deciding to come forward. Again not saying that as the definitive truth, but something we all need to consider when analyzing this news piece 

Except we don't. They have multiple sources in the piece, not just one. Further it explains so many of the issues many of us on this board have been bitching about since the ill fated and amazingly stupid ROR trade. Something is rotten in the state of denmark and now we know why. 

49 minutes ago, Theana745 said:

Tbh, seems like the source had some sort of vendetta for the organization. I personally would take this article with a grain of salt

Except is it from multiple sources so this theory just got destroyed. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Except we don't. They have multiple sources in the piece, not just one. Further it explains so many of the issues many of us on this board have been bitching about since the ill fated and amazingly stupid ROR trade. Something is rotten in the state of denmark and now we know why. 

Yes, but at a time like this, I can't help but think we need to all pitch in and repay this selfless couple for all they've given us. A GoFundMe campaign, maybe.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Except is it from multiple sources so this theory just got destroyed. 

LOL, 39 sources, according to Tim. Blame, cause and depth of issue might be debatable, but the fact that issues exist is indisputable.

I would also like to pull out the part about how much nepotism exists in PSE. The kids or their spouses all have roles or are involved somehow. Further someone cleary mentions you need a president for each of the major teams (Sabres/Bills) because that itself is a full time job. 

It's like everything related to Buffalo professional sports at this point is terrible.  I have no sympathy for those two and frankly I'm done with them and their franchises.  I'll stick around the forums for the discussion, but the teams are dead to me. (Well, the Bills have been for awhile).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

This all reinforcers the worry I posted awhile back: Pegula's won't keep taking on dead money and will therefore keep Botterill

Or that they won't fire him because they are sure he's an honorable guy, as compared with the scoundrels they've had to get rid of.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Pegula, current and former employees say, explained that return on investment included maintaining the family’s lifestyle."

I missed this initially. So, Kim flat-out told the rank and file that the needs of the sports franchises would not be allowed to diminish the family's luxury lifestyle?

The worst. And not even for thinking it, not even for being guided by it -- but for effing saying it out loud to everyone. Idiots.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Terry and Kim Pegula, meanwhile, have paused construction of their new superyacht in Amsterdam.

Oh the humanity.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Nothing in the past 5 years of sabres hockey has made me as happy as that article just did.

True. We can't have that fun and cathartic presser after a major firing, but we do get to think about Terry peeling open a cheap can of cat food and sharing it with Kim (one plastic spork between them).

29 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Or that they won't fire him because they are sure he's an honorable guy, as compared with the scoundrels they've had to get rid of.

I believe I sense snark here. Smell points out how, uh, HAM HANDED Kim's comment about family lifestyle was, but there's also how dumb her shifting of blame was from where it belongs (those who hire/retain) and those who "let you down."

These are not smart people.

• Like (+1) 1

I have a few observations about both the article and the Q&A, but I need to give them both a second read (where I usually read The Athletic doesn't lend itself well to concentration).  I'm slightly disappointed, but I also wonder how much of it is business as usual in the industry.  

More to come.

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

True. We can't have that fun and cathartic presser after a major firing, but we do get to think about Terry peeling open a cheap can of cat food and sharing it with Kim (one plastic spork between them).

I believe I sense snark here. Smell points out how, uh, HAM HANDED Kim's comment about family lifestyle was, but there's also how dumb her shifting of blame was from where it belongs (those who hire/retain) and those who "let you down."

These are not smart people.

or nice people

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Yup.  I said it looked like we might be trending towards an internal budget time.  Certainly, the unlimited budget in off ice areas is a thing of the past.

Here's a possible reason: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/20/oil-prices-sink-to-20-year-low-as-un-sounds-alarm-on-to-covid-19-relief-fund?

So much for drilling another well.