PSE Announces Numerous Layoffs in Management Positions

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Tondas said:

Hey TPeg, What happened to this philosophy??

image.thumb.png.265cee5b24047ec4434e5ebc4000d703.png

Gas is too cheap for frackers to make any money right now.

The Sabres are screwed.

Not that they weren't already.

Edited by SwampD

1 hour ago, Tondas said:

Hey TPeg, What happened to this philosophy??

image.thumb.png.265cee5b24047ec4434e5ebc4000d703.png

There is a world-wide oil glut.  This only works in a functioning worldwide economy.  (It does not even need to be robust.)  Thus, his net worth has taken a big hit.

5 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

There is a world-wide oil glut.  This only works in a functioning worldwide economy.  (It does not even need to be robust.)  Thus, his net worth has taken a big hit.

You are correct about the glut.  But Peg sold mostly land (and it's corresponding gas rights) to make his fortune.  I assume he diversified his investments so a tanking gas market would be mitigated.  I'm throwing a little shade at Peg because of how smug he was when he made the "I'll just drill another well" comment.  Sort of tone deaf for a Buffalo community.  

While we can all speculate on their cash reserves, and we all have an opinion on why their standing in the community is where it’s at, can we agree on

1) their ticket sales suck

2) their media relations suck

3) the live experience at the arena sucks

They fired the head of ticket sales.(1)
They fired the head of media relations(2)

They fired the head of live events(3)

Most everyone else was furloughed(guaranteed their job) or asked to take a temporary pay cut(common across basketball and hockey)

• Like (+1) 6

^
The cash flow and liquidity of an NFL franchise just isn’t comparable to that of an NHL franchise.

I’m not overly worried about what PSE is doing with the Sabres right now. The NHL is almost certainly done with the current (past) season. Meanwhile, the NFL is trying to figure out how to have an upcoming season.

I do wonder: Will the NFL go with Fauci’s model of having a few central locations for competition and practice, no fans, teams (with families?) housed in hotels, etc.?

34 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm trying to remember if it was @dudacek or @Brawndo who offered a theory that Botterill's ability to increase internal spending had been reduced. On what, I don't recall. Analytics, maybe.

It was from a Tim Graham Mailbag that the Sabres are reducing overall expenses in some areas 

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

It was from a Tim Graham Mailbag that the Sabres are reducing overall expenses in some areas 

The timing of the layoffs is interesting.  Know that at least through last week their STH reps hadn't been laid off. Don't know how they got effected with this new round of layoffs.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

So Terry's original notion that "there's no salary cap on scouting" etc. etc. has gone away?

It's interesting to see a billionaire panic.  I guess they can bite off more than they can chew like the rest of us.  Sound, sports experienced executives need to right this ship, and TPegs is not able to build the right team.

28 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

So Terry's original notion that "there's no salary cap on scouting" etc. etc. has gone away?

If I remember the piece @Brawndo referenced correctly, the hockey department wasn’t supposed to be affected.

Also, who else thinks that the odds of Botterill being replaced after taking a pay cut, surviving two rounds of purges, and “guiding the ship through these tough times” have become pretty damn small?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If I remember the piece @Brawndo referenced correctly, the hockey department wasn’t supposed to be affected.

Also, who else thinks that the odds of Botterill being replaced after taking a pay cut, surviving two rounds of purges, and “guiding the ship through these tough times” have become pretty damn small?

Stop harshing my outrage/hopefulness!

Yeah, I mean how do you even go about hiring a new GM right now anyway? Terry's flip phone won't do Zoom.

Edited by PASabreFan
fastest fingers in PA
  • Haha (+1) 1

Here is the Article 

Obviously, the Sabres and Bills seem to be trending in very different directions when it comes to success on the ice/field. Recently, a lot of heat seems to be directed towards the Pegulas for the Sabres’ lack of success and their inexperience in owning an NHL team (many fans have been calling for a president of hockey ops to be hired). The problem is that they have just as much experience running a NFL team as they do a NHL team, but the NFL team is starting to show signs of success and promise. What do you think the Bills’ organization is doing to have the team trending in a promising direction that the Sabres might be lacking? — Joey M.

The Pegulas have more experience running an NHL team by three and half years. The difference is that they recovered from the Rex Ryan fiasco by hiring the right tandem in coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane.

McDermott established a wholesome and character-driven culture. Beane assembled a fantabulous scouting department, consisting of several evaluators who have served upper-level roles with other teams or are considered attractive candidates to do so eventually: assistant GM Joe Schoen, pro personnel director Malik Boyd, college scouting director Terrance Gray, player personnel director Dan Morgan, college scouting assistant director Lake Dawson, senior scout Dennis Hickey and personnel adviser Brian Gaine. We at The Athletic Buffalo have written feature stories on most of them.

Think back to previous Bills GMs and their top lieutenants; most never got another NFL job.

Back to the Sabres … I don’t think a hockey czar is needed just as the Bills’ front office proves a football czar is unnecessary. Jason Botterill could be the Sabres’ boss man in the same way Beane commands the Bills.

The significant difference is that Botterill’s staff doesn’t resemble his Orchard Park counterpart’s deep crew.

Sabres assistant GM/Rochester Americans GM Randy Sexton previously was Ottawa Senators GM for two and a half years and Florida Panthers GM for seven months, and his teams failed to reach the postseason. He worked with Botterill in Pittsburgh as amateur scouting director. Sexton oversaw the Penguins’ drafts in 2016 and 2017. None of those picks have played in the NHL. The Penguins didn’t have any first-round selections, but they did take three second-rounders with Sexton.

Buffalo’s other assistant GM, Steve Greeley, is considered a front-office riser. The 39-year-old former Boston University associate head coach interviewed for the Carolina Hurricanes’ top job in 2018.

Amateur scouting director Ryan Jankowski was assistant GM with the New York Islanders from 2005 to 2010 and oversaw player personnel for Canada’s world junior and under-18 teams before joining Buffalo.

An answer to fortifying the Sabres’ front office would be to spend money to make those lieutenant jobs more attractive to top scouts with better credentials. But with rumblings of more personnel cutbacks across Pegula Sports and Entertainment offices, a substantial cash infusion into hockey operations seems unlikely.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.