Best not-Buffalo play-by-play / commenters?

Eleven

4 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Gary Thorne was a GREAT hockey play by play guy.  When ESPN gave up on the NHL we really lost something there.

In addition to the names already mentioned, and keeping the discussion to hockey...

No one has mentioned Mike Lange (Penguins) or Pat Foley (Blackhawks) yet?!?!??!

I think Pat is just about the best TV play by play guy in the business now that RJ is well past his prime and Lange has been relegated to radio broadcast work only.  

Ex-CBC man Ken Daniels is in Detroit these days and one of the better voices of the league.  I really enjoy the team of Daniels and Mickey Redmond, who always sounds like he is nursing a steady line of Martinis in the broadcast booth.

Jim Hughson, #1 announcer for HNIC is absolutely fantastic as well, as is Chris Cuthbert.  

I would also give honorable mention to the Caps' team of Joe Beninati and Craig Laughlin, who are excellent.

There are a lot of good announcers around the league these days.

Unfortunately, I genuinely believe we have one of the worst pairs in the league right now in Buffalo.

That mostly falls on Rayzor, but RJ should have retired several years ago and it shows every night.  

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Oh no.  NO.

Agree.  Laucher is a lot of things; an excellent analyst ain't one of 'em.

Right up there with lauding Mickey Redmond IMHO.  Dude, dude, you don't understand, Mickey's so drunk, he's awesome.  Umm, actually, if he weren't maybe he could be.  But ... he is & he ain't.  (And, if Mickey ain't ripped, apologies for the accusation, but that isn't a point in his favor.  Also, not saying Craig works drunk, just saying he's as bad (or worse) than Redmond who comes across as downing a fifth of Jack prior to hitting the booth.)

But Mickey & Craig are infinitely better than Javk Edwards.

Phil Rizzuto and Bill White. I know everyone hates on Phil because he was such a homer but with all the dead time between pitches he and White were legendary with their stories. Plus Rizzuto had the greatest HOF speech of all time.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/11/2020 at 12:37 PM, Buffano DeBoom said:

Jim Gordon 

Fantastic for the Rangers years back. Great with the Giants as well.

As an aside, no one ever has mentioned that no only was SB XXV a great game (except for the ending) but what HOF talent broadcasted that game. 

Bills- Van Miller 

Giants- Jim Gordon

Westwood One- Jack Buck

ABC- Al Michaels 

Back to the matter at hand. Hugheson and Cuthbert are incredible.

Sabres crew leaves a lot to be desired. One of the great aspects of watching these classic games is how on top of their game Rick and Jim were. RJ is a shell of himself and Dan bores me to tears.

Don't get me started about meathead. Ray is about as useless as Bulldog.

I don't know who the best is.  Dan Kelly, former Blues play by play was one of the best and was called upon to do National TV games many times.

His son John Kelly is a chip off the old block and is quite good.  Bernie Federko  (former blue and a Hall of Fame center) provides insightful analysis.  They have a pretty good group in St Louis.   The arena is nice, games are fun, the crowd is L O U D because the seating is close and steep (think old Aud), and the experience is what the NHL is supposed to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I don't know who the best is.  Dan Kelly, former Blues play by play was one of the best and was called upon to do National TV games many times.

His son John Kelly is a chip off the old block and is quite good.  Bernie Federko  (former blue and a Hall of Fame center) provides insightful analysis.  They have a pretty good group in St Louis.   The arena is nice, games are fun, the crowd is L O U D because the seating is close and steep (think old Aud), and the experience is what the NHL is supposed to be. 

I believe he did the Canada Cup in '87 that I just rewatched. Unbelievable series. 

2 hours ago, gomper said:

I believe he did the Canada Cup in '87 that I just rewatched. Unbelievable series. 

Yes, he did a lot of big National games.  Well respected.  Comfortable voice, accurate coverage and no bias.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.