OT: The New Religion Thread.

Eleven

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

@I-90 W

Here is your quote from the other thread. I laughed at it a lot. I just wanted you to know that. I highlighted the parts that made me laugh the most. Enjoy your "absolute morals", I have no desire to follow the "morality" of Christianity or any religion. I did not bring religion up or even comment on it but in your persecuted christian mind you felt so attacked by me saying "I don't care what the bible says", that you literally had to go on the offensive. So much for turning the other cheek. 

Quick side question, what color is Jesus's skin?

There is a reason I stay away from this thread so I will leave it at that.

Images of Jesus are a Second Commandment violation, I don’t know why you’re asking me what color his skin is. Turn the other cheek? That doesn’t refer to engaging in apologetics (which we’re commanded to do). If you’re going to twist Scripture, at least read the whole book.

You have a history of mocking Christians on this board, my response wasn’t based solely on today. As far as letting me know that you’re laughing at me, that’s not how you engage in word views that are antithetical to your own. At least I engaged with yours after I criticized it. You shouldn’t feel “pressured” when someone presents an argument that is different than your own btw, sounds like you’re the one with a persecution complex. Finally, I deleted my comment because I know how nasty some of you can be, but since you insist on dragging this back, here is my response. 

1 hour ago, I-90 W said:

Images of Jesus are a Second Commandment violation, I don’t know why you’re asking me what color his skin is. Turn the other cheek? That doesn’t refer to engaging in apologetics (which we’re commanded to do). If you’re going to twist Scripture, at least read the whole book.

You have a history of mocking Christians on this board, my response wasn’t based solely on today. As far as letting me know that you’re laughing at me, that’s not how you engage in word views that are antithetical to your own. At least I engaged with yours after I criticized it. You shouldn’t feel “pressured” when someone presents an argument that is different than your own btw, sounds like you’re the one with a persecution complex. Finally, I deleted my comment because I know how nasty some of you can be, but since you insist on dragging this back, here is my response. 

I had a comment but decided against it. I'll say this though, I don't engage in religion on this board and certainly don't have a history of mocking Christians. Enjoy your thread. 

I will wish all my Christian Brothers and Sisters a Blessed Easter and all my Jewish Brothers and Sisters a Blessed Passover.

It is always the case that those two Blessed days / times happen together, but it is very rare (once every 30 years) that Ramadan starts at very close to the same time.  This is that year.  Ramadan should start on April 12th.  The empty (I prefer empty to new) moon is scheduled for April 12 and the Ramadan Crescent should be sighted and the first fasting day should be April 13th.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
  • Thanks (+1) 3

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I will wish all my Cristian Brothers and Sisters a Blessed Easter and all my Jewish Brothers and Sisters a Blessed Passover.

It is always the case that those two Blessed days / times happen together, but it is very rare (once every 30 years) that Ramadan starts at very close to the same time.  This is that year.  Ramadan should start on April 12th.  The empty (I prefer empty to new) moon is scheduled for April 12 and the Ramadan Crescent should be sighted and the first fasting day should be April 13th.

Thank you.

Good to know. It has always amazed me at how ancient civilizations kept such great track of time using the sky.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Both the Islamic and Jewish calendar are based on the luner cycle as opposed to the sun.

That's why Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring solstice. Have known that for many a year, never knew that it was all Lunar related.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, woods-racer said:

That's why Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring solstice. Have known that for many a year, never knew that it was all Lunar related.

It all sounds so pagan. Wait wut ?😳

Happy Easter everyone !

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

It all sounds so pagan. Wait wut ?😳

Happy Easter everyone !

It's hilarious how many of the early Christian rituals are total ripoffs of pre-existing pagan rituals.

From the timing of Christmas to Easter to almost everything in between.

• Like (+1) 3

There are many Christians who don’t observe the liturgical calendar, and some even view it as idolatry. Reformed Christians have 52 holidays a year, every Lord’s Day. We don’t observe Easter as it is not commanded or even mentioned in Scripture. Having said that, one could make the case that it is a liberty issue, but we do not recognize it corporately.  Every Lord’s Day is Resurrection Day. 

19 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

It's hilarious how many of the early Christian rituals are total ripoffs of pre-existing pagan rituals.

From the timing of Christmas to Easter to almost everything in between.

Or it just could be how they kept track of time, the same as every advanced civilization of the day. Remember these are all based off of Jewish traditions that are a thousand years older than the Romans.

2 hours ago, woods-racer said:

Or it just could be how they kept track of time, the same as every advanced civilization of the day. Remember these are all based off of Jewish traditions that are a thousand years older than the Romans.

Partially, but Christmas was placed in December right around the solstice, which was one of the highest of the Pegan Holidays.

Jesus returned to Jerusalem for Passover, so it only made sence when they decided to base Easter on his death and rising that it be in line with Passover, which it is.

It is intersting to note that if the last supper actually happened, as most Christians believe, that it was a Seder.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:25 PM, woods-racer said:

9 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Partially, but Christmas was placed in December right around the solstice, which was one of the highest of the Pegan Holidays.

Jesus returned to Jerusalem for Passover, so it only made sence when they decided to base Easter on his death and rising that it be in line with Passover, which it is.

It is intersting to note that if the last supper actually happened, as most Christians believe, that it was a Seder.

But you just said its all lunar related, what is a solstice?

The Catholic religion and all of Christianity is based off of the Jewish religion ( Jesus is a Jew) and it's calendar. To Catholic's it's called a Liturgical calendar. So the Passover is pagan?

The last Supper was on a Thursday, part of the Triduum, that is Sedar?

11 hours ago, woods-racer said:

But you just said its all lunar related, what is a solstice?

The Catholic religion and all of Christianity is based off of the Jewish religion ( Jesus is a Jew) and it's calendar. To Catholic's it's called a Liturgical calendar. So the Passover is pagan?

The last Supper was on a Thursday, part of the Triduum, that is Sedar?

The Christian calendar is not lunar.  At some point the Christian leadership decided that Christmas needs to be celebrated near one of the highest Pegan holidays, which was / is at the winter solstice.

Passover is not Pegan, you must know that.  Easter was placed on the Christian calendar to coincide with Passover, as Jesus (you are right, a Jew) returned for Passover.  Passover in Judaism must be based on the lunar cycle in some way, but I am uncertain as to how.

The last supper is commemorted on Holy Thursday, you are right, which would have been the first night of Passover, which is traditionally the Sedar feast.  Although some have a Sedar on the first two nights of Passover.

It is about 1 hour until sunset here in Halifax, which means Ramadan will start then.  First fasting day is tomorrow.

I will see yous all in 30 days ... the moon cycle will mean that it is 100% that Ramadan will be 30 days.  There is no place on earth where the Eid crescent will be viewable prior to sunset on Ramadan 29.  Therefore, we will have 30 days for Ramadan and Eid will be on May 12th at sunset.

Take good care of each other while I'm away.

Ramadan Mubarak!!

Salam / Peace ...

• Like (+1) 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 11:18 PM, I-90 W said:

There are many Christians who don’t observe the liturgical calendar, and some even view it as idolatry. Reformed Christians have 52 holidays a year, every Lord’s Day. We don’t observe Easter as it is not commanded or even mentioned in Scripture. Having said that, one could make the case that it is a liberty issue, but we do not recognize it corporately.  Every Lord’s Day is Resurrection Day. 

I'm not rigid on this, but I can't disagree with it either. IIRC, this is straight out of the WCF.

On 4/4/2021 at 9:31 AM, SwampD said:

image.thumb.jpeg.8203acca2a408ac9e23fe3b5aeb0d4d3.jpegIMG_9024.jpeg

Somewhat amusing, even if it is 2CV. In fact, it wouldn't bother me if you've gone full blown DaVinci Code over this.

Since the Complaint Thursdays thread was locked today, I thought I would share some serious concerns here. Even if it comes across as being "political", I kindly request for the mods and admin to keep it here because I believe that this needs to be available for all to see.

Frankly, I am absolutely embarrassed at what has become of American conservative evangelicalism. It has become an irrational political force that only agrees with what it wants to hear - and 86 the facts that infringe on their comfort zone. I find myself standing alone when I demand facts and proof instead of just going along with the crowd on unproven conspiracy theory narratives. I'm not going to say who or what, but I have just about had it with people who claim to be believers and yet perpetuate a humongous lie just because they didn't get their way and they have an extremely myopic perspective about the world as a whole.

Having said that, I am seriously considering getting rid of my Facebook account and never going back there. I have a much easier time talking sense on SS with this motley crew on here (I'm saying that in a friendly way, and not derisively) than I do on FB with others who claim to be in the same camp with me.

1 hour ago, Crosschecking said:

Since the Complaint Thursdays thread was locked today, I thought I would share some serious concerns here. Even if it comes across as being "political", I kindly request for the mods and admin to keep it here because I believe that this needs to be available for all to see.

Frankly, I am absolutely embarrassed at what has become of American conservative evangelicalism. It has become an irrational political force that only agrees with what it wants to hear - and 86 the facts that infringe on their comfort zone. I find myself standing alone when I demand facts and proof instead of just going along with the crowd on unproven conspiracy theory narratives. I'm not going to say who or what, but I have just about had it with people who claim to be believers and yet perpetuate a humongous lie just because they didn't get their way and they have an extremely myopic perspective about the world as a whole.

Having said that, I am seriously considering getting rid of my Facebook account and never going back there. I have a much easier time talking sense on SS with this motley crew on here (I'm saying that in a friendly way, and not derisively) than I do on FB with others who claim to be in the same camp with me.

I don’t know a single person who quit Facebook who regretted their decision.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

Interesting I wonder what side of censorship dear leader will come down on for the post

7 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

Agree with the overall point you are making.

Regarding facebook.  It is what you make it.  They have the controls built into it to allow you to avoid what you want to avoid.  Unfollow is a wonderful thing.  No embarasing "unfreind" conversations but you never see a thing they post.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

Interesting I wonder what side of censorship dear leader will come down on for the post

I have a greater respect toward the leadership of SS since I took my yearslong break.

On 5/7/2021 at 4:04 AM, drnkirishone said:

Personally, I don’t censor or ban posters unless they’re high on acid and go on tirades.

As far as Complaint Thursdays thread not being open, I had life to deal with.

And Hi 🤘🏻

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.