Top 10 Hits In Sabres History

SarasotaSabre

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Should have been one of the Risto hits on Ovie included...

I can't think of a game the two played where Risto wasn't all over Ovie.  I wonder if there's some ethnonationalist reason for it.  Finns do not like Russians.

27 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't see how this gets, legitimately, to 10.

23 minutes ago, SwampD said:

It should just be called 10 Hits in Sabres History.

Also, apparently Sabres history began in around 1998 or so.

No way are those the top ten hits in Sabres history.  I'm not sure a legit list would have Campbell at #1, but maybe it would.

Edited by Eleven

21 minutes ago, inkman said:

Mike Peca has his own top ten so it shouldn't be too hard 

I missed his era in Sabres hockey.  I moved to Orange County, and  this was before NHL Centre Ice had taken off.  I respect the love for him, and you can't help but love his grittiness, but most of the video I've seen of him (and Kaleta) are where they leave their feet to make hits.  Both hits in this montage display that.  I'm glad these are taken out of the game.  Both players in today's game would struggle, as they are undersized, and the rule is a disadvantage for smaller players. 

Well, I don't think there are 10 important hits in team history. Schoeny's hit was important for a young team seeking respect, yada yada yada. I think the rest would be biggest hits. But not a lot seem to be memorable. I remember Peca as a big hitter, but I can't see any of them in my mind's eye. I'm not into that sort of thing though.

I suspect Swampy is onto something. This franchise really hasn't been known for that kind of thing.

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

I missed his era in Sabres hockey.  I moved to Orange County, and  this was before NHL Centre Ice had taken off.  I respect the love for him, and you can't help but love his grittiness, but most of the video I've seen of him (and Kaleta) are where they leave their feet to make hits.  Both hits in this montage display that.  I'm glad these are taken out of the game.  Both players in today's game would struggle, as they are undersized, and the rule is a disadvantage for smaller players. 

Oh Mikey was filthy as *****, not as much at Pat but Peca pushed the envelope as much as he could.  Those Western Canadian boys were taught well.  

Campbell’s may or may not be the best hit, but it certainly is the most celebrated.

The Schoeny clip is the only other one that even registers.

The Peca one I remember is on Domi in the conference finals, when he delayed leaving the penalty box for a split second so he could crank him as he stepped out.

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Campbell’s may or may not be the best hit, but it certainly is the most celebrated.

The Schoeny clip is the only other one that even registers.

The Peca one I remember is on Domi in the conference finals, when he delayed leaving the penalty box for a split second so he could crank him as he stepped out.

I don't have a lot of clearly memorable hits (or maybe meaningful), but that was one of them.

Shony at the zamboni doors, Peca stepping into Domi unawares, Campbell on Umberger, Campbell had another big one behind the net the same season, Maguire dumping Stepan after Probert ran Barasso, and not so much a big hit as a meaningful one.... the hit that led to May vs. Corson in May's rookie year that announced THIS season the Sabres are not foolin'.

I'll have to watch the vid now to see what's on there.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Can we count significant hits involving the Sabres? That would add Lucic on Miller and Leroux on LaFontaine.

I'm already trying not to let the isolation bring on the darkness, I sure as hell don't want to bring these up.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Hitting?  What's that?!

That Rasmussen hit at #7 in the original video was as devastating a hit as I've ever seen in a Sabres game.  The video doesn't reveal the full extent as it's not in real time. 

The Soupy Campbell hit at #1 remains one of the most exciting live moments in a Sabres hockey game I ever recall seeing.  I'm still waiting for something to equal it; haven't seen it yet.

RJ: "And NOW THEY'RE ALL CHASING AFTER CAMPBELL!" 

?

EDIT:  Here's a real time video of the Rasmussen hit mentioned above:

Edited by Kruppstahl

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

It was a pretty big hit, sort of, but the aftermath is legendary ...

This has to remain in the Top 5 ALL TIME Sabres moments.

I noticed in the film that a guy in the crowd right next to the fight was taking some flash photography!

I don't think I've ever seen those images.  I wonder if they came out OK and if there was ever an attempt at making them public.

Those pictures would now make for a heck of a nice piece of Sabres history.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.