The Curious Case Of the 1993-1994 Buffalo Sabres

Amazing the teams they assembled with less funding. Now with the deep pockets most thought could take us up have had an opposite effect it seems. Money doesn't mean you don't need good management.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Radar said:

Amazing the teams they assembled with less funding. Now with the deep pockets most thought could take us up have had an opposite effect it seems. Money doesn't mean you don't need good management.

Look at the results they had under Muckler with an open purse (3rd highest payroll in the league) and what they began building after he was forced to tighten the ship.  Being under a tight budget might result in better value coming in as the GM has to make sure he's bringing in value players & that there will be a cohesion within the dressing room.

Budget conscious teams don't bring in a Craig Simpson at that stage of his career with his back issues.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

He was a truly horrible skater.  People mistook that for not trying.  TBH, I needed someone more aware than I was to show me what he did wrong on the ice to really get it.

He did have some terrible playoff series and couldn't score in them. That created frustration, and the press and fans really let him know it. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

He was a truly horrible skater.  People mistook that for not trying.  TBH, I needed someone more aware than I was to show me what he did wrong on the ice to really get it.

He, like Barrasso and Housley, also had the misfortune of being around after Bowman was canned -- they bore the brunt of the residual anger people felt for him.

All true.  But I wouldn’t say Andy-chuk was a bad skater in a “technical” sense.  He was just slow as molasses.  Best pair of hands I have ever seen though.  Brad Miller was a horrible skater.  To this day, I’m not even sure he could skate without a few pushes.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, nfreeman said:

On a somewhat related note, Scotty Bowman was on WGR last week for a pretty long and enjoyable interview.  It's in the audio vault if anyone is so inclined. 

Thanks a lot.  I will check that out later.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.