How did you come across Sabrespace?

#freejame

So we’ve had a thread with everyone posting their first post on the site, but what I’m most interested in is how everyone came to be a poster. 

I want to say it was Spring of 2007 and I was at the computer section of my high school library. Someone a few computers down was on the site and I peaked over their shoulder to see what they were looking at. Lo and behold they were on the forum. I went home later that day and started reading. It took me until Vanek was traded and a member only poll for me to make an account and a think a couple more years to post, but I’ve been here ever since. 

So, how did you become a member?

At this point I dont remember... but I found it thru twobillsdrive back some time ago while still working on the Hill.  I was known under a different moniker over there more political... just observed here because I didnt get to see many games on TV or go to many games in DC 

A friend of mine, who doesn't post on TSW, told me about TBD for Bills news / talk.  Was during the NHL lockout.  Lurked over there for a month or so and then noticed the link to TSR.  When the lockout ended, decided to join both boards.

Just missed being in the 1st 100 posters on this board.

Far more active here than there.  But the Sabres play (when games were on) this past decade or so has definitely tamped the enthusiasm to talk about them.

Was on HF Boards for a little while, but liked this place more and never really spent too much time there.

We finally got internet at my house for the first time in the fall of 2011, my Junior year of high school. I was obsessed with the Sabres and would spend hours typing "Sabres" into google and reading everything that came up, no matter the source. Learning how the Internet worked. Then one day I discovered a site that grouped all of the articles together for me! I checked that site and clicked the links every day for a month or two. Then discovered the entry to the forum. Then got lost for days, reading as many threads as I could beginning to end, even the ones years old. It was my first intro to an Internet forum. I was blown away by Sabrespace lore and the presence certain members had (and the hushed mentions of the king that had gone missing, PA)

I distinctly remember thinking that there was no way I could ever have the longevity or ability to become a part of the sacred community

Then I became an adult and realized that you're all just as dumb as me ;)

(I kid, but those feelings were genuine as I was sheltered and impressionable)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I have no idea 

Stole my answer ....  I’d GUESS I was lurking somewhere like HF and saw a reference to this place.  I lurked here for a long time before posting.   I’m not generally shy, but this place was so ... informed, close, balanced ...

Sabres news is hard to get on Vancouver Island.

The front page news feed was a godsend. Pretty sure I read it for years before realizing the real good content was on the forum, then read the forum for quite a while before joining it because I've never been real comfortable with social media.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Sabres news is hard to get on Vancouver Island.

The front page news feed was a godsend. Pretty sure I read it for years before realizing the real good content was on the forum, then read the forum for quite a while before joining it because I've never been real comfortable with social media.

Very similar story, just change Vancouver Island to Northern Ontario. Lurked a while before posting, my only social media other than following some hockey reporters on Twitter.

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Very similar story, just change Vancouver Island to Northern Ontario. Lurked a while before posting, my only social media other than following some hockey reporters on Twitter.

I apologize if I’ve asked previously, but how far north?  I’m always amazed at how far north Hudson Bay is.  But I know Ontarians generally don’t mean that far north when they say “Norrh Ontario.”

11 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I apologize if I’ve asked previously, but how far north?  I’m always amazed at how far north Hudson Bay is.  But I know Ontarians generally don’t mean that far north when they say “Norrh Ontario.”

I grew up near Thunder Bay, 14 hours northwest of Toronto.

I have slowly migrated “south”, now living near North Bay, 4 hours north of Toronto.

Edited by French Collection
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.