Report: NHL to potentially return in North Dakota in August

Theana745

16 minutes ago, shrader said:

It's a hockey board.  Do you really want the entire world to be consumed with COVID conversation 24/7?  We've been hoarding TP but maybe we should have been hoarding antidepressants.

Ha!  Accidentally lucked into the DVR recording most games the last week or so of the season, so been watching some of those.  They're as good as live because we have no idea how games not involving the Sabres turned out.  You hoard what you want, and we'll hoard what we want. ?

Edited by Taro T

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Although class struggle is a real thing.

Yep.  This whole corona virus mess is starting to reveal just how dysfunctional American society is in the year 2020.

Anyway, there's no way there's going to be a 2019/2020 regular season.  That's done.

I'm pretty sure the playoffs are done too; the league just doesn't want to admit it.

The Canadian GP, scheduled for mid June got axed, making the 9th race of the season to be "postponed".  

Folks in F1 circles are now suggesting there won't be any races this entire summer, and the season itself may not happen.

It's just not going to be feasible to have a hockey game with a crowd this year.  Maybe late in the calendar year, but now you are already into the new season.

2019/2020 is going to go down as the NHL season that was cut short by a pandemic, and the year in which there was no Stanley Cup champion.

33 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I know.

You know what all this feels like to me? There's a massive buildup to a monster hurricane, but as soon as it hits, we're ready to move on to something else.

Let's get through wave 1 of a worldwide pandemic first. You all can discuss how on earth the NHL manages to award a Cup this year. I am done. And I'm taking my ball.

Speaking of, I booked a beach condo in NC for late August. You just know what'll happen.

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’ll stick to my prediction made in another thread.  As soon as the NBA cancels the remainder of its season, Bettman will fall right in line and do likewise. 

I really don't know what the holdup is?  I think the situation in North America is going to get worse before it gets better.  Soon there will be the second wave starting in Asia.

I must admit that I was sceptical about the impact of this thing at first, but I have recently revised that felling to ... WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Yep.  This whole corona virus mess is starting to reveal just how dysfunctional global society is in the year 2020.

Anyway, there's no way there's going to be a 2019/2020 regular season.  That's done.

I'm pretty sure the playoffs are done too; the league just doesn't want to admit it.

The Canadian GP, scheduled for mid June got axed, making the 9th race of the season to be "postponed".  

Folks in F1 circles are now suggesting there won't be any races this entire summer, and the season itself may not happen.

It's just not going to be feasible to have a hockey game with a crowd this year.  Maybe late in the calendar year, but now you are already into the new season.

2019/2020 is going to go down as the NHL season that was cut short by a pandemic, and the year in which there was no Stanley Cup champion.

Agree, just made 1 edit which I think we can all agree on. This exposed everyone.

5 hours ago, Radar said:

Although class struggle is a real thing.

Well, yes.    Not recognizing that class struggle is real would be as debilitating and dangerous as seeing it everywhere.  Fortunately, blindness of the former is an illness.  Unfortunately, ubiquity of the latter is a pandemic.   Somewhere in between is sanity and rational discourse.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Not recognizing that class struggle is real would be as debilitating and dangerous as seeing it everywhere.

“As” debilitating? Why is seeing class struggle everywhere a worse illness than the failure to recognize that it exists? It’s easy to confuse the two if you were born into a middle class world. I can assure you, anyone that grew up eating roadkill has no such bias about how we got to the haves vs have nots. When the poor child that grew up on roadkill and worked his ass off in school sees the rich kid that couldn’t add 2+2 get into the college that he’d always dreamt about because his parents were loose with cash and rules, that’s class warfare. That’s an inequality that is almost insurmountable. To suggest any less is to either be naive to reality or defensive of circumstances. Am I wrong?

@Ogre

I don’t know if you’re wrong or right.  Your second sentence asks a question about a conclusion I didn’t draw.  After that, you’re on your own.

If you're asking me if seeing class struggle where it doesn't exist is as bad as not seeing class struggle where it does exist, then my answer’s yes.  My rationale follows.  In both cases, you fail to address class struggle.

Edit to add ...  I was neither of the two kids you described while growing up.   I was closer to one than to the other.  I get a little antsy when my view is attributed, even tangentially, to a privileged upbringing.  You’re not the first to make this mistake.  It’s a not uncommon knee jerk.  I can assure you, I can’t be out empathied.  If you're seeing a defensive bone, or naiveté, in my body of work, you’re hallucinating.  Addressing the speaker with a slur, while missing the idea in play, frustrates debate.  I cede no moral high ground.

Lastly, the word privilege is important to me.  I use it above as it’s used in our culture wars.  In any human sense of the word, I consider myself privileged.  I am an American born in the 20th century who was raised by honest, loving, hard working, human beings.  Kinda makes me say “grateful” a lot, and tear up, a lot.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

Seems like there's so much class conflict being pushed in this thread.  On a lighter note, some good news for everyone, Jeff Skinner is donating 52k to help out Buffalo! Remember we're all in this together regardless of our walk of life.

Edited by Theana745
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Weave said:

I’m not fond of a return in August.  That leaves no break before 20-21 starts in October.  Teams that participate in August will have a leg up on teams that aren’t in it. 

Just write the damned season off.

Only reasonable thing to do when it comes about public health,  anyone that thinks this will be over by August is dreaming.   

We are the only league in Europe that stopped this football season thinking it will be hard enough to start the new season on time.    UEFA just threatened to ban us from European games next year but really ***** them.   They are only thinking about the money they loose and the big five losing billions if the seasons are cancelled.

Huh. I don't get it. It's a dead animal, Chewie. Just cancel the entire season already.

I mean... waiting until the last states with teams pass their apex of the curve. Then get all the players back from around the world. Then re-training camp. Then get all the support workers making minimum wage back in line and put them in harm's way? Then a playoffs? You're already to the draft. So what's the point? Eat into free agency? Eat into planning for next season? Just deal with it NHL. 2019-20 is done. Get your preparations on for an expansion team and season already.

7 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Huh. I don't get it. It's a dead animal, Chewie. Just cancel the entire season already.

I mean... waiting until the last states with teams pass their apex of the curve. Then get all the players back from around the world. Then re-training camp. Then get all the support workers making minimum wage back in line and put them in harm's way? Then a playoffs? You're already to the draft. So what's the point? Eat into free agency? Eat into planning for next season? Just deal with it NHL. 2019-20 is done. Get your preparations on for an expansion team and season already.

I think this is the question that many are asking.  I also think the answer is obvious.

Its a business.  They are trying to figure out ways to potentially get business going again.  They are figuring out potential options.  Even if they agree that it’s mostly likely not going to be able to happen, if it is able to happen they need to have plans in place, ready to go.  They won’t have time to waste a week figuring out logistics.  It’s what any business would do.

@Neo

i’m not smelling what you’re cooking. Are you disagreeing that class bias isn’t a real thing in this world? Why does a elected official create Frankensistricts in poor areas? To level the playing field? Ha! It’s everywhere man. It’s in the schools. The governments.Wealth is as much a disease as the failure to admit that it isn’t. (See how I do?) It also does more damage to the human soul. The powerful and connected are far more likely to reach a lofty goal with minimal effort on their part than the child that grew up on the Rez. People may not like to be constantly reminded that the ice is tilted but leaving silent ears to hear the cries for help certainly isn’t going to reveal a remedy. We’ll disagree then. That’s fine. I’ll keep beating the drum though. The more noise I make the better.

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

@Neo

i’m not smelling what you’re cooking. Are you disagreeing that class bias isn’t a real thing in this world? Why does a elected official create Frankensistricts in poor areas? To level the playing field? Ha! It’s everywhere man. It’s in the schools. The governments.Wealth is as much a disease as the failure to admit that it isn’t. (See how I do?) It also does more damage to the human soul. The powerful and connected are far more likely to reach a lofty goal with minimal effort on their part than the child that grew up on the Rez. People may not like to be constantly reminded that the ice is tilted but leaving silent ears to hear the cries for help certainly isn’t going to reveal a remedy. We’ll disagree then. That’s fine. I’ll keep beating the drum though. The more noise I make the better.

Wasn't for me, but define what you mean by wealth. 100,000, 500,000, 750,000, 2 million per year? 5 million per year? 10 million per year? I think people would understand your argument more if you did this. You can't just say all wealthy people are bad. If you did that you'd be insulting nearly NHL/NFL/NBA/MLB  player, some lawyers, some doctors. And that's not fair. Some people do good things with their money

Edited by Theana745

6 hours ago, Ogre said:

@Neo

You don’t understand what I wrote.  I can’t write more clearly.   I am a man of limited capacity.  I’ll shoulder the blame.

To your direct question, second sentence.  Of course not.  That’s one of the reasons I never wrote that, said that, or implied that.  As with your previous post, after that, you’re on your own.

This conversation could be Exhibit A to the problem I “feel”.  To wit, the ripeness of mangos can be seen through the lens of class struggle and pointing out that mango ripeness has nothing to do with class struggle results in more conversation about ...  wait for it ... class struggle.

Bang the drum as loudly as you like.  Careful, though ... cacophony misapplied ain’t gonna help the poor.   I’d bang the drum more judiciously; perhaps pause and listen to the other instruments.  I believe more people will hear your music and you’ll hear more of theirs.

Edited by Neo

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Three pages in and a discussion about hockey in ND went to hell. 

Guilty as charged.   Well, not quite charged.  Guilty as observed.

My swan song for this thread ...  From time to time we directly, or indirectly, refer to what we believe to be the privilege of others while posting on SabreSpace.  Risky, reckless, stuff.  There are 7 billion people on the planet.   With no math or science backing me, I’d guess that if SabreSpace is part of your regular routine, you’re more priviliged than 90% of the world.   Further with my construct, you’re at least as privileged as 70% of the remaining 10%.  Now, take human history into account, and I believe we’re all 1% ers.   To the extent, and in the sense, that privilege is a burden (I believe it is), it’s a wonder any of us can get out of bed.  So, yeah, I see the world as pretty good, which interferes not with seeing that which must get better.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Very familiar and truth be told, that’s where I was hoping you would say. Probably my favorite beach in NC, I hope you enjoy yourself!

It's a real jewel. Close to  Wilmington, gorgeous beach with mostly small condos. Just a few high rises. And affordable. My oceanfront place is $1400/wk incl taxes, fees and dog upcharge. I'm not into the Outer Banks at all.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.