Report: NHL to potentially return in North Dakota in August

Theana745

I’m not fond of a return in August.  That leaves no break before 20-21 starts in October.  Teams that participate in August will have a leg up on teams that aren’t in it. 

Just write the damned season off.

• Like (+1) 8

23 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’m not fond of a return in August.  That leaves no break before 20-21 starts in October. Teams that participate in August will have a leg up on teams that aren’t in it.

Just write the damned season off.

It could.  Or it could leave those teams gassed down the stretch when other teams are a month+ fresher.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with.  Wouldn't be remotely surprised to see whatever it is being half-arsed and poorly thought out.  Which, is typically, par for the course.

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Maybe more than any professional league in North America, the NHL is desperate to have games, generate some gate revenues.

It's embarrassing for them. You know the old saw that those with means say to those without? Save for a rainy day. The news told us a while back half the country didn't have anything saved for an emergency. Pull yerself up by yer bootstraps! Turns out a lot of businesses made it about 10 days before getting desperate. The airlines had a banner year in 2019. First ones with their hands out. The NHL is like your "successful" cousin who's trying to get a job at Amazon during the pandemic.

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's embarrassing for them. You know the old saw that those with means say to those without? Save for a rainy day. The news told us a while back half the country didn't have anything saved for an emergency. Pull yerself up by yer bootstraps! Turns out a lot of businesses made it about 10 days before getting desperate. The airlines had a banner year in 2019. First ones with their hands out. The NHL is like your "successful" cousin who's trying to get a job at Amazon during the pandemic.

This is the sort of tortured analogy one gets when one ties everything back to some class struggle narrative.  Try this one ...

Sally made muffins for the first time, and they failed to rise in the oven ....  because ...

(Thought starter ...  I provided a name, assumed a gender, described a cooking implement and a food category .... you can write PAGES with this)

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

This is the sort of tortured analogy one gets when one ties everything back to some class struggle narrative.  Try this one ...

Sally made muffins for the first time, and they failed to rise in the oven ....  because ...

(Thought starter ...  I provided a name, assumed a gender, described a cooking implement and a food category .... you can write PAGES with this)

Sally the secretary's hormones were off because she had been knocked up by the rich prick boss.

Easy. Next?

3 minutes ago, Neo said:

But, but... corporations are people! You don't think Southwest should save up for a rainy day and not go running for the welfare line the instant business takes a big hit?

Edited by PASabreFan

23 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Sally the secretary's hormones were off because she had been knocked up by the rich prick boss.

Easy. Next?

But, but... corporations are people! You don't think Southwest should save up for a rainy day and not go running for the welfare line the instant business takes a big hit?

Well, I have lots of thoughts.   I can’t successfully share them with someone who conflates pandemic, rainy day and welfare.  Draw your distinctions among the three (and their kin), and the conversations diverge.  It’s the goulash that’s nonsensical, no matter how fun or self gratifying.

Just now, Neo said:

Well, I have lots of thoughts.   I can’t successfully share them with someone who conflates pandemic, rainy day and welfare.  Draw your distinctions among the three (and their kin), and the conversations diverge.  It’s the goulash that’s nonsensical, no matter how fun or self gratifying.

It’s impossible not to. There’s a reason they had to put no buy backs into the bailout bill.

1 minute ago, Neo said:

Media elites report with mouths agape (and other elites react with disbelief and contempt) that 43% of Americans don't have $400 for an emergency repair. Is loss of income during a pandemic a rainy day? Is it also a rainy day for the airlines? Are bailouts corporate welfare? Should the airlines have been better prepared to withstand this period (or at least more than two weeks of this period), given their record profits last year? I fail to see the goulash, which is delicious. I see a perfectly crafted omelet.

53 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Every sport is trying to figure a way out.

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

Every sport is trying to figure a way out.

Exactly.  I heard one yesterday on one of the espn shows saying that the NBA is exploring televised horse games between two players.  If what the NHL is doing here is embarrassing, what exactly is that idea?

Question for all. Obviously first responders and yourselves come first, but how much of a price hike (gamecenter etc.) would you willing to accept to watch NHL games and help the league and players say not only a float but also competitive? 

Edited by Theana745

14 minutes ago, SwampD said:

It’s impossible not to. There’s a reason they had to put no buy backs into the bailout bill.

Well, it’s not impossible for everyone.   It may be irresistible for some.

And now, back to work.   I am not observing the crises from afar, nor am I watching it closely.   I’m swimming in it.  For the portion of this situation that’s financial, my office is an Emergency Room and an ICU.  My people are exhausted heroes.  My patients employ your family or are employed by them.  I could write an interesting piece about contagion, disability, damage and death that’s not biological.   It sure behaves biologically.  But, of course, the patients in my story are villains to the self selected aggrieved.  Enjoy yourselves, I have the sick to attend to.

That is the reason that gratuitous scud missiles vex me.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Theana745 said:

Question for all. Obviously first responders and yourselves come first, but how much of a price hike (gamecenter etc.) would you willing to accept to watch NHL games and help the league and players say not only a float but also competitive? 

Is this serious? Help the players stay afloat?

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is this serious? Help the players stay afloat?

No not directly. I'm just thinking the league will consider price raises on gamecenter and other modalities to make up for the lack of in door revenue. Can stations renegotiate contracts with the league? At some point, and I don't know when, wouldn't they lose more money trying to hold the playoffs for 1/20 of the profit, rather than just waiting till next year.

Edited by Theana745

I would support doing something like this to hand out the cup, especially if we figure out via antibody tests that way more people have had this virus than we realize (I read that Iceland has tested a higher percentage of their population than any other country, and 50% of positives were asymptomatic) and it becomes clear that immunity is a thing. 

But August is way too late. A *potential* normal start for next season takes precedence for me over handing out a cup this year, which as dark points out, the nhl doesn't care THAT much about since they're willing to not do it roughly once every seven years 

• Like (+1) 1

Regarding the "class warfare" discussion upthread -- since the players get half the revenues, they have the same incentive to resume the season in some fashion that the owners do.

Regarding increased ticket/TV pricing -- there is NFW that this will happen.  Everyone will have lost a huge percentage of their disposable income.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.