NHL Top 50 Bizarre Moments

gilbert11

Just watched the NHL Top 50 Bizarre Moments in history.  Sabres-related moments were:

#50- Sabres VS Phoenix- shot puck ends up tangled in back of Mike Smith’s jersey.  When he backs into net, Sabres given goal and win game.

29- fan goes on ice by Sabres bench and Rob Ray pummels him

6-  bat flying over rink hit and killed by Jim Lorentz with his stick (can’t get more bizarre than that)

#1 in case you were wondering was 1979 game between Boston & Rangers in MSG.  Phil Esposito has breakaway at end of game but was stopped. He smashes stick on ice and skates off into the tunnel.  Afterwards, Boston’s Peter McNabb goes into stands to fight with fans and other Bruins follow him.

I thought about Malarchuk but there was a funny tone to the show and nobody would consider that funny.

For example, other moments that made it were somebody throwing a live chicken on the ice and 2 players dropping their gloves and just skating around for a couple minutes with neither throwing a punch.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gilbert11 said:

I thought about Malarchuk but there was a funny tone to the show and nobody would consider that funny.

For example, other moments that made it were somebody throwing a live chicken on the ice and 2 players dropping their gloves and just skating around for a couple minutes with neither throwing a punch.

So, basically, they just watched Don Cherry's Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Hockey #1 and stole some clips?

Can believe, but shouldn't have to, that No Goal wasn't #1 by a mile. 

Lindros holding out a year then getting traded by Quebec twice in about 15 minutes and the league needing an arbitrator to finally decide which trade was valid has to be #2. 

#3 should be the Gunds essentially selling 1/2 of the No Stars to Norm Green so they could move back to near the Bay area where they started on their improbable journey and neither franchise staying in Minnesota. 

A legit case that #4 was awarding Disney and Blockbuster franchises to extend the league's media presence (huh?) in the '90's could be made.

And would round out the top 5 with Gil Stein putting himself in the HHoF as a builder and then being unceremoniously removed shortly after the league eliminated the position of League President replacing it with the League Commissioner.

The Alan Eagleson saga probably fits in the top 50; but that was just pure graft, collusion, and criminality so it barely squeezes in and only for its sheer longevity and scope.

9 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

Just watched the NHL Top 50 Bizarre Moments in history.  Sabres-related moments were:

#50- Sabres VS Phoenix- shot puck ends up tangled in back of Mike Smith’s jersey.  When he backs into net, Sabres given goal and win game.

29- fan goes on ice by Sabres bench and Rob Ray pummels him

6-  bat flying over rink hit and killed by Jim Lorentz with his stick (can’t get more bizarre than that)

#1 in case you were wondering was 1979 game between Boston & Rangers in MSG.  Phil Esposito has breakaway at end of game but was stopped. He smashes stick on ice and skates off into the tunnel.  Afterwards, Boston’s Peter McNabb goes into stands to fight with fans and other Bruins follow him.

Perhaps if there were fog enveloping the ice and players had to skate around with bedsheets during timeouts to lift said fog, it could be more bizarre? ?

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

So, basically, they just watched Don Cherry's Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Hockey #1 and stole some clips?

Can believe, but shouldn't have to, that No Goal wasn't #1 by a mile. 

Lindros holding out a year then getting traded by Quebec twice in about 15 minutes and the league needing an arbitrator to finally decide which trade was valid has to be #2. 

#3 should be the Gunds essentially selling 1/2 of the No Stars to Norm Green so they could move back to near the Bay area where they started on their improbable journey and neither franchise staying in Minnesota. 

A legit case that #4 was awarding Disney and Blockbuster franchises to extend the league's media presence (huh?) in the '90's could be made.

And would round out the top 5 with Gil Stein putting himself in the HHoF as a builder and then being unceremoniously removed shortly after the league eliminated the position of League President replacing it with the League Commissioner.

The Alan Eagleson saga probably fits in the top 50; but that was just pure graft, collusion, and criminality so it barely squeezes in and only for its sheer longevity and scope.

Where would you put “broke man buys Islanders” on your list?

49 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Where would you put “broke man buys Islanders” on your list?

It might be 6, but would want to think about the rest of the entries for the top 10 before setting it in stone.

Florida fans throwing 1,000's of Brad Marchand dolls on the ice during their inexplicable run to the Stanley Cup Finals when he was still a mere elementary schooler has to be up there towards the top of that next tier of the list.

• Haha (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It might be 6, but would want to think about the rest of the entries for the top 10 before setting it in stone.

Florida fans throwing 1,000's of Brad Marchand dolls on the ice during their inexplicable run to the Stanley Cup Finals when he was still a mere elementary schooler has to be up there towards the top of that next tier of the list.

I remember that.  It was fantastic.

• Like (+1) 1

Mal Davis' head goal:   Sabres clear puck up boards, bounces off Mal Davis' head as he's leaving the ice, bounces a couple more times, and beats the opposing goalie (I forgot

who it was.)   Strange goal.  That's how I remember it anyhow.

Best Gretzky goal that no one seems to remember nor have a copy of:  Gretzky was in "his office" behind the net.  He lifted the puck over the center of the net, off the goalies'

back and in.   Not a lacrosse goal.  A flip OVER the net from behind.

4 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

taro tsujimoto "picked" 183 overall in 1974.   People talk about picking Ric Seiling over Mike Bossy. Well, in 1974, picked after Taro Tsujimoto were 2 Stanley Cup winners:

Dave Lumley at 199  and Stefan Persson at 214.

There are plenty of cup winners who are bad players - were those guys good? Cup winners as an adjective doesn't actually tell us if that was a bad move 

13 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

taro tsujimoto "picked" 183 overall in 1974.   People talk about picking Ric Seiling over Mike Bossy. Well, in 1974, picked after Taro Tsujimoto were 2 Stanley Cup winners:

Dave Lumley at 199  and Stefan Persson at 214.

The Sabres choosing an ACTUAL person AFTER selecting Tsujimoto is more bizarre than Dave Lumley lucking into having his name on the Stanley Cup.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Stefan Persson(D) NYI   1978-79   78GP 10G 56A 66P +38

Dave Lumley(F) EDM  1981-1982  66GP 32G 42A 74P +12

Nothing to sneeze at.   But yes, the Sabres drafting Bob Geffrion at 196 after Taro is really a head-scratcher, true.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, etiennep99 said:

Best Gretzky goal that no one seems to remember nor have a copy of:  Gretzky was in "his office" behind the net.  He lifted the puck over the center of the net, off the goalies'

I remember it.  Damned if I can remember the team it was against. 

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

Perhaps if there were fog enveloping the ice and players had to skate around with bedsheets during timeouts to lift said fog, it could be more bizarre? ?

Yes, I agree, but they didn’t show that part.  With obvious bias, that whole episode should’ve been #1.  I was disappointed with their #1.

Other more Bizarre moments would be like 2 players having their skates stuck to each other.  That doesn’t make a Top 50?

Only dedicating 60 minutes to a top 50 didn’t leave much time for each of their moments.  There was one that must’ve been involving a player with ‘rat’ in their name, which I didn’t catch, as after a goal the fans littered the ice with rats, including one live one.

Other type of moments that made their list were own goals, including one where, on a delayed penalty and pulled goalie, a player fired the puck back to the point and it went all the way down the ice into their own goal. 

3 hours ago, etiennep99 said:

Mal Davis' head goal:   Sabres clear puck up boards, bounces off Mal Davis' head as he's leaving the ice, bounces a couple more times, and beats the opposing goalie (I forgot

who it was.)   Strange goal.  That's how I remember it anyhow.

They showed one where a Penguin took a shot from the point, it deflected off Crosby in front, went off the glass behind the net, hit the back of the goalie and into the net.  They didn’t say whether the shooter called it.

There was another where a player showed his soccer skills by heading the puck into the net. It was not allowed.

1 hour ago, gilbert11 said:

Yes, I agree, but they didn’t show that part.  With obvious bias, that whole episode should’ve been #1.  I was disappointed with their #1.

Other more Bizarre moments would be like 2 players having their skates stuck to each other.  That doesn’t make a Top 50?

Only dedicating 60 minutes to a top 50 didn’t leave much time for each of their moments.  There was one that must’ve been involving a player with ‘rat’ in their name, which I didn’t catch, as after a goal the fans littered the ice with rats, including one live one.

Other type of moments that made their list were own goals, including one where, on a delayed penalty and pulled goalie, a player fired the puck back to the point and it went all the way down the ice into their own goal. 

The rat thing, if it was Florida was during their Stanley Cup run.  Mellanby killed a rat in the dressing room before a game and ended up scoring 2 or 3 goals.  The fans literally threw hundreds of fake Marchands onto the ice when Florida would score their 1st goal of a game during that playoff run.

The only player, before Marchand, that was called the Rat that immediately springs to mind was Kenny Linesman, though they wouldn't have littered the ice for 1 of his goals.  Back in the days before Linesman came along, people didn't throw much other than hats, beer cups, and the random octopus onto the ice, so though there might have been others w/ that moniker doubtful the fans would've done that then.

The own goal was likely Colorado Rockies giving Billy Smith the first ever NHL goal "scored" by a goalie. 

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The rat thing, if it was Florida was during their Stanley Cup run.  Mellanby killed a rat in the dressing room before a game and ended up scoring 2 or 3 goals.  The fans literally threw hundreds of fake Marchands onto the ice when Florida would score their 1st goal of a game during that playoff run.

The only player, before Marchand, that was called the Rat that immediately springs to mind was Kenny Linesman, though they wouldn't have littered the ice for 1 of his goals.  Back in the days before Linesman came along, people didn't throw much other than hats, beer cups, and the random octopus onto the ice, so though there might have been others w/ that moniker doubtful the fans would've done that then.

The own goal was likely Colorado Rockies giving Billy Smith the first ever NHL goal "scored" by a goalie. 

Yes, it must’ve been Florida.  There were 100s.  They seemed to cover more than half the ice, more than hats for a hat trick.

Another funny moment was with a team up by a goal and an empty net, a player is all alone skating towards the net with the puck.  The announcer says “This should clinch it” just before the player loses his edge and goes flying to the ice and the puck goes wide. An opposing player trailing the play, grabs the puck and heads up ice and his team scores to tie the game before the end of regulation.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Weave said:

I remember it.  Damned if I can remember the team it was against. 

As I recall, it was a Hockey Night in Canada score update in my area,  a  "hey look what The Great One did this time" kind of thing.  Circa 1985.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one to remember Weave..  As the memory starts to go, I start to wonder if I made the whole thing up in a dream. ?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.