Building the best Sabres team ever

dudacek

Which of these coaches, in their prime, would you most want coaching your team?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these coaches, in their prime, would you most want coaching your team?

• Joe Crozier
    • Floyd Smith
    • Scotty Bowman
    • Rick Dudley
    • Ted Nolan
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Ralph Krueger
  2. 2. Which of these GMs, in their prime, would you most want building your team?

• Punch Imlach
    • Scotty Bowman
    • Gerry Meehan
    • John Muckler
    • Darcy Regier

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I am locked in on McKee for blocking shots and I won't be swayed.  But I 'll listen to arguments between Van Boxmeer and Spacek.  Please persuade my vote on that one.

Spacek - captain of team that played in the 1st Ice Bowl.

Van Boxmeer - guy that as a rookie got knocked out cold from a single punch by Dave Schultz.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Spacek - captain of team that played in the 1st Ice Bowl.

Yeah, he won the spin of the wheel that month.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Van Boxmeer - guy that as a rookie got knocked out cold from a single punch by Dave Schultz.

Who didn't?

These are trivia facts, not reasons!  Come on Taro!

Edited by Eleven

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yeah, he won the spin of the wheel that month.

Who didn't?

These are trivia facts, not reasons!  Come on Taro!

Van Boxmeer had been a very promising rookie but had his career trajectory highly derailed due to that 1 punch knockout.

Van Boxmeer was pretty much a disaster in his own end - not Housley level bad, but still not good.  

Spacek was far more of a 2 way player.  He also was extremely strong - short but seriously solid.

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Van Boxmeer had been a very promising rookie but had his career trajectory highly derailed due to that 1 punch knockout.

Van Boxmeer was pretty much a disaster in his own end - not Housley level bad, but still not good.  

Spacek was far more of a 2 way player.  He also was extremely strong - short but seriously solid.

Not going to argue either point, but I will point out that two-way play is not the primary role for this roster slot.

Van Boxmeer’s 69 and 68 point seasons are two of the best in Sabres history. Spacho man topped out at 45. And the 68 points was in 69 games.

Edited by dudacek

47 minutes ago, Taro T said:

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not going to argue either point, but I will point out that two-way play is not the primary role for this roster slot.

Van Boxmeer’s 69 and 68 point seasons are two of the best in Sabres history. Spacho man topped out at 45. And the 68 points was in 69 games.

While I forever will be angry with Bowman for what he did to/with the Sabres, I cannot ignore that Van Boxmeer was a contributor.  At least he got some value for Robert, there.  (My sister, on the other hand, temporarily changed her allegiance to Pittsburgh because Bowman traded the player she had a crush on, and penguins are cute or something.  This was rectified quickly.)

Spacek played better in neutral ice and in his own zone.  Van Boxmeer put up more points and had the better bowl cut.

That's why this is a tough decision.  It may be the toughest out of all of dudacek's polls so far.

Edited by Eleven

The team already has Dahlin or Howie on the top PP.  Boxy could carry it and pass it a little, had a very good slapper and was the absolute worst defenseman in the D zone that has ever dressed regularly for the Sabres.

Spacek wasn't great but was pretty solid on both ends.  McKee is one of my all-time favorite Sabres.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The team already has Dahlin or Howie on the top PP.  Boxy could carry it and pass it a little, had a very good slapper and was the absolute worst defenseman in the D zone that has ever dressed regularly for the Sabres.

Spacek wasn't great but was pretty solid on both ends.  McKee is one of my all-time favorite Sabres.

McKee is probably second or third on my list of favorites.  That dude just shut stuff down.  He was the Sabres equivalent of Bruce Smith (my favorite Bill of all time).

Jason Woolley is going to be my 7th defenceman. He wasn’t as skilled as some of the competition but he showed up.

Highest scoring defenceman in Sabres playoff history (and 12th overall). And it’s not particularly close.

Edited by dudacek

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Jason Woolley is going to be my 7th defenceman. Highest scoring defenceman in Sabres playoff history.

And it’s not particularly close.

Brad Park was a defenseman who scored in Sabres playoff history.

Yes, I am awake past when I'd like to be, and I'm being cranky.

Edited by Eleven

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

The team already has Dahlin or Howie on the top PP. 

This is an excellent point.  With Housley on the roster already,  there is no way we are building the best team possible by adding VanBoxmeer or Wooley to the roster.  There is only space for one all O and no D defenseman.  I’m changing my Wooley pick to a player with a little more to offer on out side of the ice, but can still play point on PP very effectively.  Spacek it is, shading out Galley by a bit.

I’m laughing at myself .... the more I read, and the more I remember we’re assembling a roster and not picking best this or that, I change votes.

Jay and Jaro ....  I liked all of these guys.

Edited by Neo

Guys, Housley didn’t make the cut.

Also, if you are worried about who's already in the lineup, Dale Hawerchuk did make the cut and he did QB the best PP in team history from the point. (Or was that Risto?)

Edited by dudacek

12 hours ago, Eleven said:

McKee is probably second or third on my list of favorites.  That dude just shut stuff down.  He was the Sabres equivalent of Bruce Smith (my favorite Bill of all time).

I too was a big fan of Bruce's but he was certainly a bit more...high maintenance than McKee.  To be fair, he was also a better and more dominant player.

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It would be an interesting argument as to who was the most dominant athlete in Buffalo history.

I'd go with Dom, but I'm a hockey-first guy. Bruce was incredible.

It's a short argument.  It's only two letters.  O and J.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.