Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LabattBlue

Entercom layoffs - Paul Hamilton among the casualties

Recommended Posts

I appreciated his work alot more than most around here.  I'll miss it.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite frankly, Marty Biron does all of Paul's job and then some much better.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Hamilton isn't particularly good / insightful, but sad to see him lose his job.  Scary time to be out of work.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Crosschecking said:

Wow. So many of us have taken employment for granted. This is certainly a wake up call.

It goes further than employment, but you are right.  One that you hope sticks when this passes.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2020 at 6:46 PM, Weave said:

I appreciated his work alot more than most around here.  I'll miss it.

Couldn't agree more. Can't understand the hate around here for Hamilton. Knows more about hockey in my opinion than any other local media guys . Really do miss the old days with Jim Kelley. Of course I miss true journalism period.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crosschecking said:

Wow. So many of us have taken employment for granted. This is certainly a wake up call.

Boy, you aren't kidding.  It's hitting me harder as this thing progresses.  I'm not happy with my current situation but damn am I glad I have it right now.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been laid off 4 times in my life (all in the early 90s); it's never fun, especially in a bad economy.  My hope is that this pandemic-induced downturn will pass as COVID-19 comes under control and be followed by an economic boom of pent-up demand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I've been laid off 4 times in my life (all in the early 90s); it's never fun, especially in a bad economy.  My hope is that this pandemic-induced downturn will pass as COVID-19 comes under control and be followed by an economic boom of pent-up demand.

I've been laid off too.  However, my last 13 years before retirement were with the federal government.  Say what you will about the government bureaucracy, but in times of trouble, they take care of their employees.  I was based in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina.  They put us up at the Hilton (government rate, of course) for 3 months.  What other employer would do that?  I thank the federal government, and EVERY taxpayer for keeping my wife and I from potential financial ruin.   Plus, I found my government job the most challenging and rewarding of my career.  If you have kids, please encourage them to consider a government job.  I know it's not a sexy job, but the work is rewarding, the "company" will never go bankrupt, and you'll have a good pension where you can sit on your ass and post on SabreSpace all day 😄.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Radar said:

Couldn't agree more. Can't understand the hate around here for Hamilton. Knows more about hockey in my opinion than any other local media guys . Really do miss the old days with Jim Kelley. Of course I miss true journalism period.

Some of the dislike for Hamilton comes from his favourites.  I can't think of a good reason why he thought that Larsson and Girgensons were more expendable than Sobotka.  He's had baffling stuff like this throughout his career.

I should mention that he was far better than Duff as play-by-play man and would be pleased to see him get the radio gig if Duff does TV (or vice-versa).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Radar said:

Couldn't agree more. Can't understand the hate around here for Hamilton. Knows more about hockey in my opinion than any other local media guys . Really do miss the old days with Jim Kelley. Of course I miss true journalism period.

I liked Paul, until I didn’t.

He went from really insightful hockey insider type stuff, to whiny, I’m going to ask loaded questions that can only be answered the way I want them to be answered in order to have sound bites that match the narrative I’ve already written my piece about.

Alway enjoyed him as a guest, though, on SatBD.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tondas said:

I've been laid off too.  However, my last 13 years before retirement were with the federal government.  Say what you will about the government bureaucracy, but in times of trouble, they take care of their employees.  I was based in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina.  They put us up at the Hilton (government rate, of course) for 3 months.  What other employer would do that?  I thank the federal government, and EVERY taxpayer for keeping my wife and I from potential financial ruin.   Plus, I found my government job the most challenging and rewarding of my career.  If you have kids, please encourage them to consider a government job.  I know it's not a sexy job, but the work is rewarding, the "company" will never go bankrupt, and you'll have a good pension where you can sit on your ass and post on SabreSpace all day 😄.

I work for one of the bigger government contractors.  They're not quite to the level you describe.  But since the layoff thing settled down, it's been a pretty good run (the last 22+ years).  I'd like to get to about 30 or so and then retire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...