Henrik Lundqvist -- anyone interested?

nfreeman

Lundy has had a great, likely HOF-level career.  He's got star power, presence and fantastic hair.  He also just turned 38, had a crappy season this year and fell out of their goalie rotation, becoming the #3 behind 2 FNGs.  His GAA has gotten worse each year for the past 6 years; same with his SV% other than a 1-year blip 2 years ago -- his #s this year were 10-12-3, 3.16 GAA and .905 SV%.  To be fair, this decline has coincided with an overall slide into mediocrity/bottom dweller status by the team.

He has 1 year left at $8.5MM.

This could be an opportunity to get a decent pick or prospect from the Rangers in exchange for eating Lundy's cap hit, and get some leadership and improved goaltending in the bargain.  It's not impossible that the motivation from being dumped by the Rangers, plus a better group of defensemen in front of him could result in somewhat of a revival.

I'd much rather bring in a no-BS good #1 goalie, but if that isn't available -- is anyone interested?

If we were a goalie away from doing something significant - I'd be ok with taking a shot at a former excellent one.  Or if the other scenario was our future goalie was a year away - then I'd be interested.  We're in neither situation so I'm not eating cap so we can't afford to get forwards for leadership. 

Who is the prospect in the deal?  IMO, it should be a decent rostered player at a cheap price if the Sabres are taking on that contract.  And absolutely not a draft pick.  Can't say it enough:  draft picks in the NHL are not good compensation.  

And how do they deal with Hutton's cap hit?

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Lundy has had a great, likely HOF-level career.  He's got star power, presence and fantastic hair.  He also just turned 38, had a crappy season this year and fell out of their goalie rotation, becoming the #3 behind 2 FNGs.  His GAA has gotten worse each year for the past 6 years; same with his SV% other than a 1-year blip 2 years ago -- his #s this year were 10-12-3, 3.16 GAA and .905 SV%.  To be fair, this decline has coincided with an overall slide into mediocrity/bottom dweller status by the team.

He has 1 year left at $8.5MM.

This could be an opportunity to get a decent pick or prospect from the Rangers in exchange for eating Lundy's cap hit, and get some leadership and improved goaltending in the bargain.  It's not impossible that the motivation from being dumped by the Rangers, plus a better group of defensemen in front of him could result in somewhat of a revival.

I'd much rather bring in a no-BS good #1 goalie, but if that isn't available -- is anyone interested?

I'd have to say no. But! If they take Jeff Skinner and his whole contract, yes 

It wouldn’t be a terrible idea.  Better than going into next season with Hutton.  

However, Henrik probably isn’t going anywhere.  He has a NMC, loves NY and he’s the King.  I think he just wants to stay there.  Only way I see him leaving is to chase a cup as a backup or something, but the fact that he is still there leads me to suspect that he has probably made it clear that he doesn’t want to move.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.