OT - Tiger King: Netflix

LGR4GM

I've seen the whole thing, mostly watched on a  single night/early morning.

Easily one of the best produced, most riveting documentaries I have seen.

It's just an extremely interesting story and it is exceptionally well developed/presented to the viewer. 

Like all non-fiction, its greatest asset is that it's all TRUE!  Makes it that much better.

The same story presented as a work of fiction would actually take on a comedic tone and wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

It reminds me a bit of "King of Kong" in certain ways, which is another great documentary worth your time if you haven't seen it yet.

I just got through it, in several sittings.

It started off incredibly strong - like, holy sh1t balls - and then, maybe inevitably, started to trail off as it moved toward its ... inevitable (?) conclusion.

It is remarkable for presenting a cast of principal characters who are all repugnant and riveting in their own peculiar ways. Full marks to the director, and his creative team. (Among other matters, I found the sound and music editing to be so effective - there were so many transitions that helped develop the story in really effective ways.)

Of the secondary characters, I found Saff (sp?) and the long-time manager (the double amputee - Reinke?) to be the most sympathetic. Saff is pretty clearly the most redeeming human in the show. Reinke the manager is more of a mixed bag, but I felt I could sense the goodness there (albeit in a very, very broken vessel). Those bologna sandwiches he was living off at the end were heart-breaking to me.

Doc Antel says the director had John remove his dental work and take off his shirt for all his interviews to make him look more meth-head like. Doc says his teeth have been fixed for years. 

He also says that Carole killed her husband ?

Its long, but it's funny. To me doc is still a super creep. But anyways, here it is, for your viewing pleasure.

Edited by ubkev

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

A show about a bunch of people who are awful? Are Seinfeld reruns not getting it done anymore? 

I got through 1.5 episodes of Mad Men and stopped because there wasn't one likeable character in the show.  I don't understand the appeal of Tiger King at all.

49 minutes ago, darksabre said:

You should give Mad Men more time, trust me. 

I gave mad men 4 episodes. Initially I gave it 2 episodes but then someone said I should give it more time. 

54 minutes ago, Weave said:

I got through 1.5 episodes of Mad Men and stopped because there wasn't one likeable character in the show.  I don't understand the appeal of Tiger King at all.

Diff'rent strokes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.