GDT: March 30th 8pm. MSG-B Capitals at Sabres (11/17/05)

Zamboni

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

That’s not true. I canceled Center Ice because I worked until 11pm and would come home to watch the replays at midnight on Empire. Right after Hockey Hotling.

It is true.  Adelphia had killed Empire by the time the lockout was over.

MSG carried 75 RS games in '05-'06.

1st 2 rounds of the playoffs got split between MSG, NBC, & OLN.  Semis & Finals went entirely national for the broadcasts.

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Unless I read it wrong, it looks like MSG didn’t have the rights to broadcast Sabres games in WNY until 2006. 

After the collapse of Empire Sports Network and its parent Adelphia,[2]MSG bought the rights to the Buffalo Sabres in 2006 under a 10-year deal; where telecasts are controlled by the team via the Sabres Hockey Network, including the sale of advertising, and the simulcast of Rick Jeanneret's commentary on both radio and television”

The games coming out of the lockout were on MSG.  (Empire was deceased by then.)

Pretty sure the multi year contract went into effect the following season.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The games coming out of the lockout were on MSG.  (Empire was deceased by then.)

Pretty sure the multi year contract went into effect the following season.

Unless I’m mistaken, Adelphia (And Empire by extension) no longer had the rights to broadcast Sabres games  , as of the end of the 2004-2005 season.

So what you are saying is, after that season, the NHL (who owned the Sabres then, right?) authorized MSG to broadcast the games come October of 2005-2006 season? And then the actual long term contract with MSG started at some point in 2006? 
Don’t guess on this. I’m genuinely curious as to the timeline and structure of broadcasting rights etc... in that timeframe after Adelphia was out. If you can find links that help with the timeline and details, please provide them. It would be an interesting read. To me at least lol.

15 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Unless I’m mistaken, Adelphia (And Empire by extension) no longer had the rights to broadcast Sabres games  , as of the end of the 2004-2005 season.

So what you are saying is, after that season, the NHL (who owned the Sabres then, right?) authorized MSG to broadcast the games come October of 2005-2006 season? And then the actual long term contract with MSG started at some point in 2006? 
Don’t guess on this. I’m genuinely curious as to the timeline and structure of broadcasting rights etc... in that timeframe after Adelphia was out. If you can find links that help with the timeline and details, please provide them. It would be an interesting read. To me at least lol.

The SABRES own their local broadcast rights.

The Sabres gave serious consideration to terminating their agreement with Empire prior to the '04-'05 season due to obvious uncertainty as to what would happen to Empire's parent Adelphia.  They didn't get enough interest from other broadcasters, so stayed with Empire for '04-'05.  But, as that season was cancelled, no games were actually broadcast. ?

Adelphia killed Empire in March 2005 (1 year after they sold WNSA effectively killing Buffalo's only FM sports format radio.)

The Sabres scrambled after the lockout to find a broadcast partner and landed a 1 year deal with MSG.  Quinn got that deal extended starting w/ '06-'07.

It should be easy enough to find links to this.  I followed the Adelphia bankruptcy very closely when it was ongoing.  (And courtesy of one of our old timers that hardly ever posts here anymore, even got a copy of the bankruptcy filing / paperwork.  Thanks again to Sabresince70 .  That was extremely kind to pass info on to me.)

Edited by Taro T

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

So what you are saying is, after that season, the NHL (who owned the Sabres then, right?)

I don't know about the television rights situation (and I am eager to find out what's going on with that), but Golisano purchased the team in 2003, before the lockout.

And, btw, the reason my posts say that Adelphia killed Empire is because it literally did.

Adelphia got legitimate, fair offers to buy Empire, but the bankruptcy trustee turned them all down choosing to liquidate the assets instead (for a fraction of what the purchase offers were) because in the LT he believed that Adelphia would end up paying more in rights fees to show Empire on Alelphia's restructured platform that it would receive at the time to sell it.  Which was not proper on several levels.  2 of which were: he was supposed to make the creditors and equity holders as complete as possible and he didn't do that;  also, Adelphia ended up getting rid of its WNY cable business so there were no LT Empire rights fees to worry about after all.

There was ABSOLUTELY NO REASON FOR EMPIRE TO FOLD!

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And, btw, the reason my posts say that Adelphia killed Empire is because it literally did.

Adelphia got legitimate, fair offers to buy Empire, but the bankruptcy trustee turned them all down choosing to liquidate the assets instead (for a fraction of what the purchase offers were) because in the LT he believed that Adelphia would end up paying more in rights fees to show Empire on Alelphia's restructured platform that it would receive at the time to sell it.  Which was not proper on several levels.  2 of which were: he was supposed to make the creditors and equity holders as complete as possible and he didn't do that;  also, Adelphia ended up getting rid of its WNY cable business so there were no LT Empire rights fees to worry about after all.

There was ABSOLUTELY NO REASON FOR EMPIRE TO FOLD!

Who was the trustee?

45 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Who was the trustee?

Knew somebody would ask that.  ?

Want to say it was Kailbourne, but it's been a while.  Will try to dig past my son's apartment contents and get to the file cabinet that info is in this weekend to verify that. 

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Want to say it was Kailbourne, but it's been a while.  Will try to dig past my son's apartment contents and get to the file cabinet that info is in this weekend to verify that. 

Just realized it was in the Southern District and not here; I'm not going to know the person anyway.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Is this something you were passionate about following? Wanting to know more details than the average joe? Or did you have a degree or two of separation and what’s why you know so much about it. It’s pretty cool you remember and know so much about it. 

35 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Is this something you were passionate about following? Wanting to know more details than the average joe? Or did you have a degree or two of separation and what’s why you know so much about it. It’s pretty cool you remember and know so much about it. 

Back in the day got as much info about the Sabres as was out there.  This wasn't absolutely Sabres related directly, but considering the criminals owned the Sabres, followed the travails of John, & Timmy, and the other Rigases, and Adelphia, and the Sabres receivership quite in depth.

Didn't follow Enron nor WorldCom (even though that had huge WNY ties as well with them owning Frontier Communications (or whatever iteration Rochester Telephone was in at the time)) closely, but got every tidbit on Adelphia and their cable box accounting shenanigans that was publicly available and on potential Sabres ownership groups, too.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.