Official: 2018 2nd Round Pick Matthias Samuelsson Signs his ELC with the Sabres

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

He sounds just like Jake McCabe. That's his ceiling. We'd be better off without McCabe playing regular minutes, so I'm not very excited about this Botterill special. 

He is bigger and stronger than McCabe.  He is pretty huge, McCabe is average size.

Not that it means he will be better.

14 hours ago, Curt said:

He is bigger and stronger than McCabe.  He is pretty huge, McCabe is average size.

Not that it means he will be better.

I think he’s got poise to his game that Jake doesn’t as well.

The question (again) is will that carry over at the faster pace of the NHL?

Edited by dudacek

Finally got around to listening to the WGR interview with his college coach, former NHL coach Andy MUrray.

For what it’s worth, Murray says Matthias was ready to play pro last summer, and will compete for a NHL job this fall. Played him in all situations, up to 27  minutes a night and said you are happy when he has the puck on his stick because you know he will make the right decision.

Western Michigan was a pretty good team this year, ranking in the lower reaches of the top 20.

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/03-27-western-michigan-hockey-head-coach-andy-murray-on-mattias-samuelsson

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

I think this new defenseman is going to work out fine. In face, I was also thinking about our agreement. About me staying on another season. And if this defenseman does work out I want to transfer a D to another team this year.

You mean this summer before the harvest?

Sure, there's more than enough D-men.

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I think this new defenseman is going to work out fine. In face, I was also thinking about our agreement. About me staying on another season. And if this defenseman does work out I want to transfer a D to another team this year.

You mean this summer before the harvest?

Sure, there's more than enough D-men.

Jason Lars - "It's only one more season...you can join the playoffs academy NEXT year"

Jack Eichwalker - "Ya, that's what you said last year"

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The game described by those who know and have seen Samuelsson is something that would make our defense corps unbelievably well-rounded, especially if Borgen can also stick around. 

Puck wizard, offensive prowess: Dahlin
Puck mover: Montour
Two-way, all-situations guy: Jokiharju
Nasty, bone-crushing checks: Risto
The Carlo/Cernak: Samuelsson
Additional edge and defensive-focused play: Borgen
NHL quality depth that fills some of these roles, not as well as the idealization of the players listed: Miller, McCabe 

Obv not all of these guys will be here one or two years from now but still. 

This is my rosy view. My nightmare scenario:
This contract is signed as one last-gasp attempt by Jason to show the Pegulas that HE is why the team is finally going to take a step it hasn't taken yet - all of Samuelsson, Cozens, Tage, Mitts are shoe-horned into a roster spot too high for their abilities, while one last botched D->forward trade underwhelms playing alongside one last Frolik-quality depth acquistion, and we are left with yet again horrible depth and a bunch of traumatized, lost prospects whose next two years will look similar to Casey/Tage's last two 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Jason Lars - "It's only one more season...you can join the playoffs academy NEXT year"

Jack Eichwalker - "Ya, that's what you said last year"

It's pretty obvious that Uncle Jason Lars and Aunt RaKru are going to have to be fired in order to get ***** the farm and exploring the Stanley Cup Alliance...

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

This is my rosy view. My nightmare scenario:
This contract is signed as one last-gasp attempt by Jason to show the Pegulas that HE is why the team is finally going to take a step it hasn't taken yet - all of Samuelsson, Cozens, Tage, Mitts are shoe-horned into a roster spot too high for their abilities, while one last botched D->forward trade underwhelms playing alongside one last Frolik-quality depth acquistion, and we are left with yet again horrible depth and a bunch of traumatized, lost prospects whose next two years will look similar to Casey/Tage's last two 

I like the rosy view better.

The ... nightmare... feels a little to close to home.

20 hours ago, dudacek said:

Finally got around to listening to the WGR interview with his college coach, former NHL coach Andy MUrray.

For what it’s worth, Murray says Matthias was ready to play pro last summer, and will compete for a NHL job this fall. Played him in all situations, up to 27  minutes a night and said you are happy when he has the puck on his stick because you know he will make the right decision.

Western Michigan was a pretty good team this year, ranking in the lower reaches of the top 20.

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/03-27-western-michigan-hockey-head-coach-andy-murray-on-mattias-samuelsson

I've never doubted his hockey sense. I doubt his skill level overall. Again if he's a pk guy and 3rd pairing defender, I'll be happy. 

56 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I've never doubted his hockey sense. I doubt his skill level overall. Again if he's a pk guy and 3rd pairing defender, I'll be happy. 

Pretty sure that if Botterill is still GM in 3 years that it's a given he'll be 3rd pairing & getting time on the PK.  ? The catch is, will he be good at either role?  Likely yes, but definitely not a given.

• 4 months later...

New Amerks coach Seth Appert on Samuelsson:

“He’s an outstanding player...You know he was one of the best defenders in the world in that 2000 birth year. He had all the hard assignments for us. He had to go against Svechnikov, Kakko, all the best players in the world. We were not a prolific offensive team.We won a lot of games 3-2, 2-1. We leaned on Matthias a ton. He’s going to be a great pro.”

Samuelsson was Appert’s Captain when he coached with the US national development team.

Appert also dropped a subtle line “...if I get a chance to coach him again...” which echoes Andy Murray’s line up-thread about him challenging for an NHL job this year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, dudacek said:

“He’s an outstanding player...You know he was one of the best defenders in the world in that 2000 birth year. He had all the hard assignments for us. He had to go against Svechnikov, Kakko, all the best players in the world. We were not a prolific offensive team.We won a lot of games 3-2, 2-1. We leaned on Matthias a ton. He’s going to be a great pro.”

Samuelsson was Appert’s Captain when he coached with the US national development team.

Appert also dropped a subtle line “...if I get a chance to coach him again...” which echoes Andy Murray’s line up-thread about him challenging for an NHL job this year.

That's good to hear. I still like the idea of Samuelsson in the AHL to start but I will say I have changed my mind about signing him. With the NCAA season likely not happening or being reduced, I am glad he will have access to pro level training with the Sabres. Really curious to see if he's worked on his agility during this big long break. Maybe he will surprise and end up as a great 2nd pairing option. 

It's a win if he can fill a consistent bottom pair role for us on the left side, this season and beyond. We are short on the left and it would save us having to make a trade. 

Maybe Dahlin, McCabe and Samuelsson can hold down the left side.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

That's good to hear. I still like the idea of Samuelsson in the AHL to start but I will say I have changed my mind about signing him. With the NCAA season likely not happening or being reduced, I am glad he will have access to pro level training with the Sabres. Really curious to see if he's worked on his agility during this big long break. Maybe he will surprise and end up as a great 2nd pairing option. 

I think more than anything it probably gives us a hint of the kind of coach Appert is. I see it as him talking up a guy, a nice reminder of what the real goal is. Classic motivation. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Yes -- I listened to this interview and was very pleased to hear him speak so highly of Samuelsson.  I think he also said something to the effect that Mattias was their captain and top defenseman.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

With the way the right side is designed, Samuelsson has a good opportunity to be more of a stay at home type playing with say Ristolainen. 

Samuelsson - Jokiharju shutdown pair

Samuelsson - Borgen  get-off-my-lawn pair

Sameulsson - Montour/Miller balance 3rd pair

Several options...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.