Just watched the Top Goalie Countdown

gilbert11

Brodeur is the only goaltender I consider as Hasek’s peer.  I give Dom the nod overall.  Dom carried weaker teams and was less protected by system.  I recall conversations about NJ and its LWL/ Trap and the depression of scoring chances.  True, but Marty was great.  Dom is GOAT.

I don’t get to Miller as top fifty.  I considered him in the bottom half of the top third in the league (5th to 10th) in any given year.  A very good goaltender for a long time.  I wish he’d stopped Crosby for his sake.  How special he was in that Olympics.  How dramatic that moment was.

• Like (+1) 1

Memory lane .... Sabres fans chanting “Bernie, Bernie, Bernie” while Parent skated the Conn Smythe around the ice.  Truly, Buffalo Fan iconic.  Sixteen years later, that same group of fans would chant “Scotty, Scotty, Scotty” in the same rhythm in Niagara Square.  Two years earlier, they’d chanted “Thank you, Sabres” in the waning seconds of a game six playoff elimination.

I always wondered what the likes of Bobby Clark, Moose Dupont, Big Bird Saleski, et al. thought while that was happening.  They played in front of Philly fans, a species with different DNA.

Tampa has good fans, nice fans.  Even they tilt their heads, much like dogs do when they hear a word they recognize in a context they don’t, when I tell these stories.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

Where was Terry Sawchuk? 

Ryan Miller is nowhere near the top 40 all time.

Here is the reason why I put Hasek as #1, at least among goalies I have actually seen play.

He performed at an incredibly high level where it seemed like he was on a lucky hot streak that had to end soon...and it never did!  He just stayed that way for what?  Maybe an 8 season chunk of time or something like that?

He was on a "oh that's just ridiculous" level and didn't leave it for a period of years.

I don't ever recall seeing another goalie operate at that high a level for that long.

I think you can make an argument that the way the league is currently offensively structured on most nights is directly related to the Dominator's dominance of the league.

When he was on top, opposing teams started saying and thinking that the only way you could score on him was to get lucky with a bounce or deflection, because he was too good to beat straight up.

That gave rise to what we see now--with systems funneling the puck back to the points, traffic to the front of the net, and point shots hoping for deflections.  That whole thing seems to have taken off and really become common place during Dom's era, and it was because teams knew on certain nights they weren't going to beat him any other way.

In this sense, you can at least argue Dom stamped his name on the structure of the game.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, sabremike said:

Any list of the greatest goalies ever that doesn't have Hasek right at the top isn't worth paying attention to.

The only POSSIBLE argument for best goalie ever on the planet, and I still reject it, is Tretiak.  Hasek is the best goalie ever to play in the NHL, hands down, and NHL Network knows it.  It also knows that it gets eyeballs on screens with controversy.

I'm ok with Miller not making top 40, but not ok with Barasso making it in his stead.  Miller was better.

Edited by Eleven

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The only POSSIBLE argument for best goalie ever on the planet, and I still reject it, is Tretiak.  Hasek is the best goalie ever to play in the NHL, hands down, and NHL Network knows it.  It also knows that it gets eyeballs on screens with controversy.

I'm ok with Miller not making top 40, but not ok with Barasso making it in his stead.  Miller was better.

I’m not sure that last paragraph is true. Barasso was a son of a bitch but he was special. 
Haven’t seen the list but after the top 10, I believe very little separate the next 40/50.

6 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’m not sure that last paragraph is true. Barasso was a son of a bitch but he was special. 
Haven’t seen the list but after the top 10, I believe very little separate the next 40/50.

He really wasn't that special.  He had an incredible rookie year, and then he played with one of the best teams the NHL ever has seen.  Everything in between was meh.

Gotta agree on your last sentence.  Maybe the top 15 or 20, but at a certain point, it's just a battle of who is more famous and who played with better teams.  Like if Richter is on this list, I'll know it's total BS.

Edited by Eleven

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

He really wasn't that special.  He had an incredible rookie year, and then he played with one of the best teams the NHL ever has seen.

Gotta agree on your last sentence.  Maybe the top 15 or 20, but at a certain point, it's just a battle of who is more famous and who played with better teams.  Like if Richter is on this list, I'll know it's total BS.

Hundred percent agree on last sentence.

https://youtu.be/_bqtE9Y_kr8

24 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He really wasn't that special.  He had an incredible rookie year, and then he played with one of the best teams the NHL ever has seen.  Everything in between was meh.

Richter, Number 37.

Edited by Neo

Pretty cool watch.  Rogie Vachon and Bunny Larocque ...  The end is interesting.  There’s a panel discussion where Brodeur is selected over Hasek, followed by 5 or so minutes of highlights of each.  The highlights would lead anyone unfamiliar with the pair worried about the mental health of the panelists who selected Brodeur.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.