GDT: 8pm. MSG-B. Whalers at Sabres: Last game at the Aud (4/14/1996)

Zamboni

True story: after this game, I snuck onto the ice via the penalty box.  After the security guard scolded me with a big smile on his face, I went to where Seymour, Doug Moss, and I think Norty were signing autographs. 

When they signed my ticket, Seymour said, "have a safe trip home."

I replied, "thanks; I need that more than you know."

They all looked at me for a moment before Doug Moss's GF asked, "what do you mean?"

I replied that I had driven in Friday night from East Lansing, Michigan and was driving back 6 hours overnight to teach a 9:10 class at MSU.  After a stunned silence, one of the guys in line said, "are you saying that you are doing 12 hours of driving this weekend just for the game?"

I said that it was true and that I had done the same thing for the retirement of Tim Horton's number earlier that season.  I explained that I was a day 1 fan who threatened to flunk students who dared to bother me if I was watching a game at the bar.

After a huge laugh, Doug Moss slapped me on the back while Seymour said, "stories like yours and fans like you are why I hope we can all celebrate a Cup victory together soon."

Excuse me while I cry over the poignancy of the last thing I ever heard Seymour speak.

Edited by E4 ... Ke2
Got misty and accidentally mistyped a few things.
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Gross misconduct penaltyEdit

Similar to a game misconduct in severity, gross misconduct penalties have been eliminated from the NHL rulebook. It was imposed for an action of extreme unsportsmanlike conduct, such as abuse of officials or spectators, and could be assessed to any team official in addition to a player. Infractions which garnered a gross misconduct now earn a game misconduct. The penalty had last been assessed in 2006 on Atlanta Thrashers coach Bob Hartley due to post-game comments made regarding referee Mick McGeough's blown call during a game versus Edmonton. The Phoenix Coyotes' Shane Doan was the last player to be given a gross misconduct penalty in 2005 for alleged ethnic slurs directed at French-Canadian referees (later investigated and subsequently cleared by the NHL).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.