Possible compliance buyouts to solve salary cap problems

freester

https://leaderpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/james-neal-milan-lucic-jeff-skinner-p-k-subban-which-nhlers-might-face-compliance-buy-out/wcm/4df8ce1c-697a-4a62-8f7e-f8db68de9a8c/?src=rss

This article discusses the worst contracts in the league and Skinner and Okposo are on the list.  I highly doubt Botteril would use a buyout on his prized acquisition Skinner, but Okposo is a possibility.

Okposo buyout length and cap hit is too much. I don’t think he’s a possibility. Sabres are still paying Hodgson. And are just finishing paying Leino his buyout. I think there’s a stronger possibility KO is on this team for another season. Unless injury retires him.

Edit:  doh! Compliance buyout. Ok got it. Ok yea I can see KO being a possibility then. 

Edited by Zamboni

3 hours ago, OhMyDahlin said:

I think some sucker would trade for Skinner...so my buyout would have to be Okposo.

At least Skinner still has talent, somewhere...it's there somewhere. 

you really think a team would take Skinner with his inflated contract? I am not too sure as most teams simply do not have ten mill a year in cap space and even if they did they would want that money spent on someone who is clearly at the top of the pile...Skinner is a one-dimensional player who adds virtually nothing to a lineup when he does not score...truth is it would have been much better if we'd spent that money on that elusive 2nd center and/or a actual NHL goalie

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabre fan said:

you really think a team would take Skinner with his inflated contract? I am not too sure as most teams simply do not have ten mill a year in cap space and even if they did they would want that money spent on someone who is clearly at the top of the pile...Skinner is a one-dimensional player who adds virtually nothing to a lineup when he does not score...truth is it would have been much better if we'd spent that money on that elusive 2nd center and/or a actual NHL goalie

Probably but here and fans everywhere would have gone crazy if they didn’t re-sign him.  Get a real 2c and we’ll get decent value out of Skinner.  

1 hour ago, Sabre fan said:

Skinner is a one-dimensional player who adds virtually nothing to a lineup when he does not score...

While this is mostly true, it’s true of a lot of goal scorers.  If you are going to be good at just one thing, that’s the important one.  It’s not really a slight to call someone “just” a goal scorer.

That being said.  To make that work for you, you do need to actually score at a decent clip, something Skinner did not do this season.  However, I would not discard his long history as a goal scorer by focusing only on this past season.

19 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Probably but here and fans everywhere would have gone crazy if they didn’t re-sign him.  Get a real 2c and we’ll get decent value out of Skinner.  

I do agree that Skinner was not used properly whatsoever almost ALL season by Kruger and as I have said before at least exGMTM immediately addressed the weakness this team has had at center for years since we lost Drury and Briere by drafting Jack and stealing ROR (who JBotto was so kind to give away to St Louis). We desperately need that 2nd center and ROR would be absolutely perfect but even if for whatever reason you traded him then you had to get back a 2nd center. They are rare and hard to find and giving one away because you don;t like the fact he wants to win is absurd and stil costing this team big time. Poor Skinner is the kind of player that obviously needs a strong center to feed him and they hung him out to dry this year. And I have absolutely no faith in GMJBotto to get a legitimate  decent 2nd center

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.