Why is Botterill still GM?

LGR4GM

21 hours ago, Weave said:

Any GM that needed an evaluation year for that group of fringe NHL'ers is an unqualified GM.  The "evaluation year" was wholly unneeded and an excuse to buy time.

Someday maybe this fanbase will demand winning "today".

I think that time has come.  I've never heard of seen as much discourse about the Sabres as I do at this very moment. 

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 10:15 AM, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

The 31st was with an evaluation year of core players he was left by the previous regime. He then got rid of "what's his name" who was a key piece of that core. Slight improvements over the next couple years after not replacing "you know who".

In order to take that next and bigger step, that position needs to be filled adequately now. Botts "should" be in a position to do that with no excuses.

What was there to evaluate.  They needed better players and it was obvious.  I don’t see the slight improvements unless you are talking about the few winning streaks they put together.   Last year he could not land a 2C so he stockpiled defensemen and still could not make a move.  The Scandella trade shows us how over his head he is.  

Then he had Mittelstadt starting the season in the wrong place once again for the second year.   How can JBots think the Mitts was ready to take 2C, or even 3C.  The kid has the body of a dumpling.  Talk about thrusting a boy into a mans game.  I just can’t forgive JBots for this.  I hope he doesn’t rush Cozens but I’ll bet he does.  

He already had the cap as an excuse, the problem is he lost a lot of games for 3 years without fixing the cap.   The Skinner contract looks like a problem.  The hiring of a coach with little (and dated) NHL experience is concerning.  RK is a fine man but his hiring raises a lot of eyebrows.  The fact that RK could not find a way to use JBot's big investment in Skinner is also a big problem.  

I can’t think of anything JBots has done to warrant a 4th year other than it might be best to sit tight given the Covid disruption and uncertainty.  

At OBD the Pegula’s got help from Polian (not as much as they originally wanted)  and from the league.  The NFL actually tracks high potential coaching candidates.  This started out of necessity to give minorities a fair chance.  This is how they got McDermott which then lead to Beane.   

What Pegula needs to do is find the right person to run the team.  I mean every aspect of the team.  That person or persons is not Kim.  Until then we are stuck   

Beane fixed the Bills cap in two years while going a combined 15 -17;  9-7 (wildcard) and then 6-10.  He did this while drafting Allen and Edmunds in year 2.   By year 3 they won 11 games and had the luxury of resting starters for the final game.  The were competitive in a rebuild not because of talent, it was great coaching, a good long term plan, and a culture transformation.   

We Sabres fans deserve better.  

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

You think sabremike's opinion is an outlier?

I don’t think that at all, quite the opposite. I’m wondering if Mike thinks he is an outlier, or if he’s just venting.

And I’m also pretty fatalistic about our ability to change things. I mean if we vent enough bile and turn off the revenue streams we can probably get people fired. But IMO, that is already happening, so I’m curious as to what else he thinks we could be doing.

At OBD the Pegula’s got help from Polian (not as much as they originally wanted)  and from the league.  The NFL actually tracks high potential coaching candidates.  This started out of necessity to give minorities a fair chance.  This is how they got McDermott which then lead to Beane.   

The NHL gave the Pegulas a ton of help in identifying potential replacements for Murray. They endorsed Botterill as an excellent candidate.

(Cue the Bettman hates Buffalo posts)

Edited by dudacek

On 5/25/2020 at 8:39 AM, dudacek said:

He took over a team that was 27th

He guided them to 31st, 27th and 25th

So much of the GM debate we do is pointless when, literally, we could just post this. Does anything else need to be said? I'm serious. 

On 5/25/2020 at 11:48 AM, sabremike said:

Tl:dr- Botts got rid of a unicorn and put himself in a position where he need to find another unicorn.

If Botts traded Jack straight up for Milan Lucic would that be enough to get his defenders to admit that he sucks and needs to go?

I'm not sure, how do the Amerks look?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Well we have our answer. Botterill is still gm because fans don't understand. 

I like this. I just wish I cared enough to play along.

14 hours ago, Thorny said:

So much of the GM debate we do is pointless when, literally, we could just post this. Does anything else need to be said? I'm serious. 

I'm not sure, how do the Amerks look?

Didn't you read Wawrow's piece yesterday. Botterill will "finally" (John's word) have the chance to reshape the roster this offseason, whenever that is. No one should wonder why John gets the scoops from Kim.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Didn't you read Wawrow's piece yesterday. Botterill will "finally" (John's word) have the chance to reshape the roster this offseason, whenever that is. No one should wonder why John gets the scoops from Kim.

I guess someone twisted his arm to bring in Josefson, Griffith, Sobotka, Frolik, Simmonds, etc. and to keep Mittlestadt and Thompson in the NHL.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.