Why is Botterill still GM?

LGR4GM

As I wrote several weeks ago, this unusual delay/premature end to the season only serves to help Botterill.

We would all have been much better served by the regular season finishing as normal, the Sabres doing very little winning, if any winning at all, and home crowds booing and chanting Botterill must go toward the very end.

May have forced Terry's hand.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

As I wrote several weeks ago, this unusual delay/premature end to the season only serves to help Botterill.

We would all have been much better served by the regular season finishing as normal, the Sabres doing very little winning, if any winning at all, and home crowds booing and chanting Botterill must go toward the very end.

You're probably right, but I would have preferred to think the break/delay (possible end) would have provided Pegula with a greater opportunity to talk to potential replacements and plan/make changes for the long term. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Unfortunately corona has saved Botteril from being fired.  The last thing Terry remembers is a great win over avery good Capitals team....Kill me now.  I can't bear another season and the long term ramifications of Botterils incompetence.

I don't think anyone in the league has been fired since the shutdown.  This may be a coincidence, may have come from on high, or may just be a gentleman's agreement not to can anybody until the season is cancelled or ends.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

You're probably right, but I would have preferred to think the break/delay (possible end) would have provided Pegula with a greater opportunity to talk to potential replacements and plan/make changes for the long term. 

Your take is a positive spin on things.  I'll go with this since we don't know what's happening anyway! 

Let's assume Pegula is planning to fire Botterill when the "time is right."

When is that time?  Is he waiting for some league decision and announcement that the season is over?  I wonder.

Compare him to Beane.  Whether BB takes us to the promised land remains to be seen.  But he has done about everything he could to set up the Bills for success with the hand played to him.  3 years and 2 playoff appearances with a legit shot at the division next year.  Quite different at First Niagara.  

Pegula better use this time to find an experienced and proven GM to run the hockey side.  There are GM and coaching options out there right now.   I sure hope he is looking into this.  

He can’t keep take chances with first time GMs and then keep missing.  Right now no one wants to play hockey in one of the best hockey markets in North America.  That is 100% on Terry Pegula.  

21 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Pegula better use this time to find an experienced and proven GM to run the hockey side.  There are GM and coaching options out there right now.   I sure hope he is looking into this.  

He can’t keep take chances with first time GMs and then keep missing.  Right now no one wants to play hockey in one of the best hockey markets in North America.  That is 100% on Terry Pegula.  

What if he's not looking at all, because he has faith and confidence in Botterill?

Lots of posters here keep telling us that is the plan.

Then what?!

34 minutes ago, DaveSnuggerud said:

With all the things in the world to be pissed about I just realized that I no longer need the Sabres for my fill of aggravating content.

Hi Dave.  No offense, but you are probably one of my top 5 most hated Sabres of all time.

?

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

What if he's not looking at all, because he has faith and confidence in Botterill?

Lots of posters here keep telling us that is the plan.

Then what?!

Then what?  If he is not looking at improving the front office then we must hope that he knows much more about why Botterill is the right guy than we do.  I want Botterill to succeed, I’m just not seeing evidence that he will.  

We are fans. We can vote by attending games or watching it in TV.  From the looks of a Buffalo Sabres home game experience I would say it’s a great atmosphere for the visitors.  

Until Pegula cannot come to grips with that situation we are stuck.  So far under Pegula we have become the California Golden Seals of my youth - and that is a bad place to be.  

Everyone was (is) so quick to diss exGMTM but has GM JBotto really done anything better? At least Murray immediately addressed the biggest weakness when he drafted jack and traded and stole ROR. All GM's years ago would say that you build a team by being big and strong drown the middle. I totally agree with this and in fact while I know that the "new NHL" is more speed and finesse I still like a team that is big and physical when needed. Just before the season went down the drain I watched Florida and Boston and they were running each other and there were fights and chippy play and it was GREAT! The intensity level was insane and clearly was a preview of the upcoming playoffs.    Anybody that really thinks that physical play and size isn't as important now is totally wrong. That is why Philly and Boston continue to win. They are the perfect blend of speedI actually think exGMTM knew this and apparently GMJbott has no clue how to build a team.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Sabre fan said:

Everyone was (is) so quick to diss exGMTM but has GM JBotto really done anything better? At least Murray immediately addressed the biggest weakness when he drafted jack and traded and stole ROR. All GM's years ago would say that you build a team by being big and strong drown the middle. I totally agree with this and in fact while I know that the "new NHL" is more speed and finesse I still like a team that is big and physical when needed. Just before the season went down the drain I watched Florida and Boston and they were running each other and there were fights and chippy play and it was GREAT! The intensity level was insane and clearly was a preview of the upcoming playoffs.    Anybody that really thinks that physical play and size isn't as important now is totally wrong. That is why Philly and Boston continue to win. They are the perfect blend of speedI actually think exGMTM knew this and apparently GMJbott has no clue how to build a team.

Ya, in theory and on paper it appeared he made the right moves. Not only did he get a #1 and #2 center, he traded for a goal scorer/sniper with snarl/toughness in his game to play alongside that center and added a promising ready to become a #1 big goalie. But he drafted poorly, misjudged character, and it all went to s*it didn't it? 

Which goes to show you that things in theory, things on paper, all of that doesn't mean you can build a good team. You can in fact screw it up royally and ruin a team entirely.

Thus, learn the lesson. Enough with the young never been a GM before guys who think they have it all figured out - in theory - and bring in a hockey guy who understands all aspects of the game and what it takes to build a winning hockey culture. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, in theory and on paper it appeared he made the right moves. Not only did he get a #1 and #2 center, he traded for a goal scorer/sniper with snarl/toughness in his game to play alongside that center and added a promising ready to become a #1 big goalie. But he drafted poorly, misjudged character, and it all went to s*it didn't it? 

Which goes to show you that things in theory, things on paper, all of that doesn't mean you can build a good team. You can in fact screw it up royally and ruin a team entirely.

Thus, learn the lesson. Enough with the young never been a GM before guys who think they have it all figured out - in theory - and bring in a hockey guy who understands all aspects of the game and what it takes to build a winning hockey culture. 

And his moves destroyed the franchises pipeline in the process while creating a team with no defense, no little offensive forward depth and no goaltending.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Sabre fan said:

Murray overspent to collect prospect busts and head case players who all found their way outside of town in a few years. Left absolutely nothing in the prospect pool but Guhle. 

Now we have a foundation for a team. Missing pieces, but the foundation is there. Not walking on stilts to stay relevant anymore. 

Edited by triumph_communes

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Murray overspent to collect prospect busts and head case players who all found their way outside of town in a few years. Left absolutely nothing in the prospect pool but Guhle. 

Now we have a foundation for a team. Missing pieces, but the foundation is there. Not walking on stilts to stay relevant anymore. 

Please share the pieces of that foundation acquired by Botterill.

• Like (+1) 2

Besides Skinner, Dahlin, Jokiharju, Montour, and now probably Kahun.  It's also likely that Mitts and Cozens become core pieces over the next two seasons and UPL soon after.

DR drafted Girgensons, Risto, McCabe, Ullmark. and acquired Larsson

TM's Contribution?  Reinhart (a 2nd over all pick he missed on who is arguably the 8th best player from that draft class), Eichel, and Okposo.  He also gets credit for drafting Olofsson, but it was JBot who brought him to NA and signed him to his ELC.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Do you give Botterill credit for acquiring Dahlin?

Are any of his prospects aside from Dahlin in the NHL? Were they better choices than what any informed Sabrespacer would have picked in the same spots?

Are Jokiharju and Kahun foundational pieces or just future solid NHLers? Is Montour?

Given the choice between Jeff Skinner and his $9 million contract or a 2nd-round pick right now, how many GMs would take Skinner?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.