Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GASabresIUFAN

Best Sabres A-Z

Recommended Posts

 Miller was the face of the franchise while he was here.

Only Gilbert, Dom and now Jack have ever been able to make the same claim.

I’d take him over Alex too. Ms have to be hard to beat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TEPPO NUMMINEM!  The ageless Finn ...  steady, prepared, effective.  He started his four year run with Buffalo at age 37.  Started!

Teppo was +10 in 16 games during the ‘06 playoffs.  That team featured Brian Campbell and Nathan Paetsch along with the Euros:  Numminem, Kalinin, Sekara, Lydman, Spacek, Sekera, Tallinder.

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved Teppo. That man just understood to game so well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 11:16 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I guess we can skip E. Our best "E" player is Eichel.  Only other E's of interest are Don Edwards, Tyler Ennis and the great Matt Ellis.

Donny Edwards is an excellent back up E.  
 

He has a Vezina and was under close consideration for a Hart Trophy.  He was a 2nd Team NHL All Star twice. 

On 3/20/2020 at 11:20 AM, ubkev said:

F has to be Frolìk, right?

Mike Foligno. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 4:47 PM, dudacek said:

Dale Hawerchuk was so much better than Phil Housley.

Career yes, Hawerchuk was a stud.   As a Sabres - no.  
 

A lot of unfair Housley hate here.  

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 12:14 PM, dudacek said:

Martin is another one who history hasn’t fully appreciated.

He was the NHL’s 6th highest goal scorer as a rookie and finished in the top 12 seven times in his 10 years with the Sabres, including 2nd and 3rd place finishes.

Over his Sabres career he was the fourth best goal scorer in the entire NHL, behind only Esposito, Lafleur and Dionne.

Thats one helluva a run of extended excellence.

Mogilny had one magnificent season in Buffalo and three where he was Thomas Vanek. Martin is second and Mogilny 3rd in Sabres goals per game. Martin is also 2nd in total goals. Mogilny is 12th.

He was a great Sabre, but I’d take Rico.

 


D - Dudley needs to be in the top 2 or 3   Take Duds Over Dumont. 

Martin over Mogilny for sure.  Martin had a HOF career going until the injury, the trade, and another injury.  
 

I -  Imlach, George “Punch”  - what about me?   

J - Calle Johansson by default - we traded a very good player away. 

K is for King Kong Korab - no doubt  

L - LaFontaine; Luce second team, Lorentz honorable mention 

M - Rick Martin;   Ryan Miller and  Mogilny second team. 
 

N - Teppo ?  What about Teddy Nolan? 

Edited by Pimlach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For now for O it’s ROR, but hopefully someday it will be VO.

For P is there any debate? Gilbert Perreault followed by Mike Peca.

No Q.

R is tough; Rene Robert, Craig Ramsay, or Mike Ramsay?  I probably would lean to Robert. A case could be made for each.

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pimlach said:


D - Dudley needs to be in the top 2 or 3   Take Duds Over Dumont. 

Martin over Mogilny for sure.  Martin had a HOF career going until the injury, the trade, and another injury.  
 

I -  Imlach, George “Punch”  - what about me?   

J - Calle Johansson by default - we traded a very good player away. 

K is for King Kong Korab - no doubt  

L - LaFontaine; Luce second team, Lorentz honorable mention 

M - Rick Martin;   Ryan Miller and  Mogilny second team. 
 

N - Teppo ?  What about Teddy Nolan? 

We are picking players, but if we were picking coach/GM's also Imlach would be the I no question.  

@ Pastajoe

Gilbert is clearly the no. 1 P.  17 years, a HOFer, our leader in a O categories.  But don't forget, Pominville, Playfair, Plante and James Patrick.  We have had many good P's.  I'd put Pommers ahead of Peca, but it's close.

I agree ROR is the No. 1 O for now, but hopefully he'll be a forgotten memory soon.  KO has a chance to surpass him if he plays out his contract and the GLO line makes some noise when we make the playoffs next year. 🙂  VO has a few more good years and he'll ultimately end up No. 1

R maybe our deepest letter.  Reinhart, Risto, Robert, Ramsey, Ramsay, Roy, Ruff, Ruuttu, and Rob Ray.  All these guys have given us 400 games or more and made a difference.  IMHO it goes Ramsey M, Ramsay C, Robert, Risto, Roy, Reinhart, Ray and Ruuttu, but that is a great list.  Mike gets the nod, because he is our best D ever.

 

 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed on Mike R.  Best Sabre defenseman ever gets a nod over best 2 way forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As said, O’Reilly, Perreault.

I would pick Pomenville over Peca in a photo finish.  Poms ...  twice the games, twice the points.  I know Mike brought something else.

The Rs ... ahhhh ....

Ramsay, Ramsey.  I’ll go Craig.  Mike is our best D ever, but that says a lot about our D.  Craig gave us something every top contender coveted.  He was a durable, second line winger who scored, played defense, shut down stars and killed penalties.  He may be one of the league’s best swiss army knives ever.

 

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

Agreed on Mike R.  Best Sabre defenseman ever gets a nod over best 2 way forward.

I knew I’d see you here!

Edited by Neo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neo said:

As said, O’Reilly, Perreault.

I would pick Pomenville over Peca in a photo finish.  Poms ...  twice the games, twice the points.  I know Mike brought something else.

Perrault, yes. Alas, I can't take Sabres-era-Pominville over Sabres-era Peca. I get the love for Pominville. "Scary good!" A solid ironman streak. Scored a lot in a high-scoring coming out of the lockout. He's a really good player.

Peca was eliminating the other team's top line night in and night out. Year after year of 20 minutes/night, all the D-zone starts (45% O-zone for his career vs. 56% O-zone for Pominville), netting 20 G/season in the deadest of the dead puck era, finished with a positive +/- consistently, and add to it the Captain Crunch highlights.

Swap them I don't believe it's a contest. Prime Pominville on Hasek's Sabres is a very solid winger. Prime Peca on Miller's Sabres is Drury + the Selkes + the hits.

I look at it as I'm picking a one game playoff or a single playoff series. Who do I take? Pominville? Peca. (And again for closure it's all moot because Perrault wins.)

9 hours ago, Neo said:

TEPPO NUMMINEM!  The ageless Finn ...  steady, prepared, effective.  He started his four year run with Buffalo at age 37.  Started!

Teppo was +10 in 16 games during the ‘06 playoffs.  That team featured Brian Campbell and Nathan Paetsch along with the Euros:  Numminem, Kalinin, Sekara, Lydman, Spacek, Sekera, Tallinder.

Teppo!

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Perrault, yes. Alas, I can't take Sabres-era-Pominville over Sabres-era Peca. I get the love for Pominville. "Scary good!" A solid ironman streak. Scored a lot in a high-scoring coming out of the lockout. He's a really good player.

Peca was eliminating the other team's top line night in and night out. Year after year of 20 minutes/night, all the D-zone starts (45% O-zone for his career vs. 56% O-zone for Pominville), netting 20 G/season in the deadest of the dead puck era, finished with a positive +/- consistently, and add to it the Captain Crunch highlights.

Swap them I don't believe it's a contest. Prime Pominville on Hasek's Sabres is a very solid winger. Prime Peca on Miller's Sabres is Drury + the Selkes + the hits.

I look at it as I'm picking a one game playoff or a single playoff series. Who do I take? Pominville? Peca. (And again for closure it's all moot because Perrault wins.)

Teppo!

 

Love me some Mike Peca, but 5 seasons, once over 50pts in a season.  Pommer's 1st stint was 7.5 seasons with points ranging from 30-80.  Peca's offensive game is overrated by Sabres fans.  He wasn't Don Luce.  Not that it matters.  Gil wins P anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O - Ryan O’Rielly.  Olofsson could hopefully erase him In a few years 

P -  Perreault, then Peca, then Pommer 

Q - Quincy  

R - M Ramsey, Rene Robert, C Ramsay, Rob Ray 

S -  Schoeny, Satan, Seiling

T - Turgeon, Talinder, Taro Tsjumoto 

U -  Underdog 

V - Vanek, Van Boxmeer 

W - Woolley Bully, Woolley Bully, Woolley Bully,  watch it now, watch it 

X - X- Men 

Y -  YoYo Ma 

Z -  Zhitnik 

 

Edited by Pimlach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peca was a more dominant player in his role and more important to his team than Jason ever was, and I am a big fan of Jason.

Take Jason out off the team during his run and the team barely stumbles.

Peca was a team Canada level player.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Neo said:

I dig the Peca support!

Peca was a better player than his stats.   Two Selke Trophies  too  

 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Neo said:

I dig the Peca support!

That's what I tell my wife all the time!

  • Haha (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So where are we?  S? Stafford, Smehlik, Satan, Schoenfeld, Seiling, Savard, Skinner, Eddie Shack and Bob Sauve come to mind.  

Satan, Schoenfeld and Stafford?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So where are we?  S? Stafford, Smehlik, Satan, Schoenfeld, Seiling, Savard, Skinner, Eddie Shack and Bob Sauve come to mind.  

Satan, Schoenfeld and Stafford?

One of those is not like the others.

Schoenfeld has that gaudy career +/-. Sure, it's a meaningless stat on the game-to-game. But +230 in 13 seasons? (And minus only when he was sophomore and an '80s Red Wing.) That's impressive. Sadly, he was before my watching time, so I am uninformed. But he looks steady, steady, steady. Satan was a slick perimeter sniper, but all of his highlight goals that I can remember are in close to the net. And he was also super consistent through the dead puck era. Satan has the better name by far...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Weave said:

Schoeny, then Miro.

Agreed ... two good ones.  Tipping the balance ... “iconic”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Neo
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how Schoeny would do in today’s day and age with a skill set pretty similar to Zach Bogosian’s.

In his day, however, he was a top defender: rugged, caring and effective. Easy to root for.

Never cared much for Miro, despite his talent, Not sure if he’s the chicken or the egg in my personal aversion to soft, selfish one-way scoring wingers.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So where are we?  S? Stafford, Smehlik, Satan, Schoenfeld, Seiling, Savard, Skinner, Eddie Shack and Bob Sauve come to mind.  

Satan, Schoenfeld and Stafford?

 

Nope 

Schoeny is a clear #1.  Great Captain. Great Sabre.  Then Satan and Seiling. 
 

no way on Stafford, I would put Sauve ahead of him. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dudacek said:

I wonder how Schoeny would do in today’s day and age with a skill set pretty similar to Zach Bogosian’s.

In his day, however, he was a top defender: rugged, caring and effective. Easy to root for.

Never cared much for Miro, despite his talent, Not sure if he’s the chicken or the egg in my personal aversion to soft, selfish one-way scoring wingers.

Who cares how he would do today.  He adapted his game to the game at the time.  #1 draft pick and he made an impact right away.

The guy beat up Cashman, Orr, and Vadnais in the same game and he was a rookie.  I was there watching it. How can I not pick him.  
 

Not a Miro fan but he scored goals and that is the “modern game”.   Rick Seiling played the game right.  Two way solid and consistent.  Great on PK.  

Edited by Pimlach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...