Best Sabres A-Z

GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Agree on Calle Johansson.

For K I give the nod to one of my childhood favorites, Jerry Korab, over Uwe Krupp.

I think Krupp was underrated.  But Korab was a very good defenseman.  I can't argue with either choice.

Anyone else remember Krupp beating Joe Kocur the same game that Kevin Maguire started a line brawl with Bob Probert on the ice?

• Like (+1) 1

Inglis, Johansson and Korab for me.  I remember the line brawl, Maguire, Probert ....  Probert fought Yzerman, too, after running their goalie.  I do NOT remember Uwe, that big ol’ slab of German Chocolate Cheesecake, fighting.

Uwe Krupp was a very good hockey player.  He suffered from Andreychuk syndrome.  Fans wanted him to be something he wasn't.

Are we on to .... L?

Edited by Neo

24 minutes ago, Neo said:

Inglis, Johansson and Korab for me.  I remember the line brawl, Maguire, Probert ....  Probert fought Yzerman, too, after running their goalie.  I do NOT remember Uwe, that big ol’ slab of German Chocolate Cheesecake, fighting.

Uwe Krupp was a very good hockey player.  He suffered from Andreychuk syndrome.  Fans wanted him to be something he wasn't.

Are we on to .... L?

It was near the end of the 2nd period.  Maguire and Probert were already gone for the game.  Play went into the corner.  It got rough.  Krupp and Kocur squared off and Krupp beat him in a decision.  Suddenly Krupp was a tough guy.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Krupp was a good hockey player. Korab, for his era, was better.

Not many who combined toughness and talent that well.

Aleksandr Yakushev agrees.  His post game interview:  “Korab kharasho (good).”

• Like (+1) 2

Korab is one of the most underrated Sabres.  He’d have been the choice for just his domination of the Russians.  He literally beat them into submission.  Also don’t forget Kotalik and Kalinin give us some pretty good play during their time here.  Both were significant pieces of the good 2000’s teams. Kotalik has 3 20 goal seasons

So what about the L’s?  LaFontaine? But who is in second?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Korab is one of the most underrated Sabres.  He’d have been the choice for just his domination of the Russians.  He literally beat them into submission.  Also don’t forget Kotalik and Kalinin give us some pretty good player during their time here.  Both were significant pieces of the good 2000’s teams. Kotalik has 3 20 goal seasons

So what about the L’s?  LaFontaine? But who is in second?

Don Luce, that’s all I got and all anyone needs.

Nostalgia Fun ....  Jean-Guy Legace.

Good Player Tip of the Hat ...  Toni Lydman

Betcha forgot ...  Yvon Lambert

DUCK .....  Ville Leino!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Neo said:

Don Luce, that’s all I got and all anyone needs.

Nostalgia Fun ....  Jean-Guy Legace.

Good Player Tip of the Hat ...  Toni Lydman

Betcha forgot ...  Yvon Lambert

DUCK .....  Ville Leino!

Jim Lorentz for both on the ice and in the booth?  Luce was also a key person in getting Mogilny here.  LaFontaine brought us TM, so that diminishes him a little.  Lydman was also a key piece of the 2000’s teams.

Leino? - Should I start a worst or most hated Sabres list A-Z?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jim Lorentz for both on the ice and in the booth?  Luce was also a key person in getting Mogilny here.  LaFontaine brought us TM, so that diminishes him a little.  Lydman was also a key piece of the 2000’s teams.

How did I forget Lorentz!? 

LaFontaine is pretty obvious, but I wax nostalgic for Luce.

M is tough; Rick Martin or Alexander Mogilny?  I give the edge to Martin because it was a more physical era when players could take more liberties, and again the 70s were my childhood.

LaFontaine and Mogilny were the better players, but Luce and Martin were very good.  And in Luce's case he had a longer tenure.

My vote is, this is on ice only, not off ice contributions.

Four players that are probably about equal overall. 

Martin is another one who history hasn’t fully appreciated.

He was the NHL’s 6th highest goal scorer as a rookie and finished in the top 12 seven times in his 10 years with the Sabres, including 2nd and 3rd place finishes.

Over his Sabres career he was the fourth best goal scorer in the entire NHL, behind only Esposito, Lafleur and Dionne.

Thats one helluva a run of extended excellence.

Mogilny had one magnificent season in Buffalo and three where he was Thomas Vanek. Martin is second and Mogilny 3rd in Sabres goals per game. Martin is also 2nd in total goals. Mogilny is 12th.

He was a great Sabre, but I’d take Rico.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4

More MARTIN, from his Wikipedia page:

1st Team All Star (1973–74)

1st Team All Star (1974–75)

2nd Team All Star (1975–76)

2nd Team All Star (1976–77)

7 Straight NHL All Star Game Appearances (1972 - 1978)

3rd All Time in Hat Tricks (21) among Left Wingers (Modern Era)

11th All Time in Career Goals Per Game Average in NHL History

Gold Championship Canada Cup 1976 (Team Canada)

5 "Top 10" finishes in Goals

2 "Top 10" finishes in Points

5 "Top 10" finishes in Even Strength Goals

3 "Top 10" finishes in Game Winning Goals

5 "Top 10" finishes in Power Play Goals

5 "Top 10" finishes in Goals Per Game Average

2 "Top 10" finishes in Points Per Game Average

6 Team Scoring Records (Buffalo Sabres)

#7 Team Jersey Retired (Buffalo Sabres)

Buffalo Sabres Hall Of Famer

Dude should be in the NHL Hall of Fame.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Martin is another one who history hasn’t fully appreciated.

He was the NHL’s 6th highest goal scorer as a rookie and finished in the top 12 seven times in his 10 years with the Sabres, including 2nd and 3rd place finishes.

Over his Sabres career he was the fourth best goal scorer in the entire NHL, behind only Esposito, Lafleur and Dionne.

Thats one helluva a run of extended excellence.

Mogilny had one magnificent season and three where he was Thomas Vanek.

He was a great Sabre, but I’d take Rico.

Your willingness and ability to put players, eras and careers into context is helpful and just plain fun for the rest of us.  I “feel” Martin v Mogilny the same way you are able to articulate it.

Martin was often the most dangerous man on the ice for a decade.

Martin.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

I agree on Martin.  How this guy isn't in the Hall is beyond me.  Rico is 11th in goals per game played at .561 in NHL history.  Ahead of Maurice Richard, Cam Neely, Marcel Dionne, Lafontaine and Stamkos.  Tim Kerr is 10th at .565.  These guys are being penalized because their careers were cut short because of injury.

Don't forget Ryan Miller.  Also McKee, McKegney, Malarchuk, May, Myers and of course Gerry Meehan.

I know this board has an infatuation with Mogilny, but Miller and Martin were bigger keys to success on the best teams in our history.  Miller played in 540 games, winning 284 with a Sabres career save % of .916 and a GAA of 2.58. Vezina winner in 2009-10 and an a 1st team NHL all-star that year.  His Olympic Silver medal with team USA (and tourney MVP) is also something worth remembering.

Alex only played 381 games as a Sabre.  Outside his 76 goal season he never top 40 goals, but did have 3 other 30+ goal seasons. 

Rico had 5 40+ goal season in his 9 full years as a Sabres, plus 3 other 30+ goal seasons.  He was a 4 time 1st or 2nd team NHL All-Star and played in 7 all-star games.  

On my ballot: Rico, Miller, Mogilny

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree on Martin.  How this guy isn't in the Hall is beyond me.  Rico is 11th in goals per game played at .561 in NHL history.  Ahead of Maurice Richard, Cam Neely, Marcel Dionne, Lafontaine and Stamkos.  Tim Kerr is 10th at .565.  These guys are being penalized because their careers were cut short because of injury.

Don't forget Ryan Miller.  Also McKee, McKegney, Malarchuk, May, Myers and of course Gerry Meehan.

I know this board has an infatuation with Mogilny, but Miller and Martin were bigger keys to success on the best teams in our history.  Miller played in 540 games, winning 284 with a Sabres career save % of .916 and a GAA of 2.58. Vezina winner in 2009-10 and an a 1st team NHL all-star that year.  His Olympic Silver medal with team USA (and tourney MVP) is also something worth remembering.

Alex only played 381 games as a Sabre.  Outside his 76 goal season he never top 40 goals, but did have 3 other 30+ goal seasons. 

Rico had 5 40+ goal season in his 9 full years as a Sabres, plus 3 other 30+ goal seasons.  He was a 4 time 1st or 2nd team NHL All-Star and played in 7 all-star games.  

Forgot about Miller.  He gets my vote.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Don't forget Ryan Miller.

Yep, Miller after Martin for me.

So Martin, Miller and then Mogilny?  That's a solid M group.\

FYI:  A list to refresh memories. https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/display_players.php?tmi=5054

Now for the N's

Only 1 N over 150 games and that is Teppo Numminen.   

So now for the O's - Some interesting choices ROR, VO, KO, former Captain Steve Ott, one of my favorite player names Gates Orlando. plus original Sabres Kevin O'Shea.

Under the H's, we forgot about Bill Hajt.  He is one of 5 players to play 14 or more years for the Sabres.  That's quiet an underrated accomplishment. If it wasn't for Mike Ramsey, he'd probably be viewed as our best ever stay at home D.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.