Best Sabres A-Z

GASabresIUFAN

Interesting Athletic article on the best Sabres by the Alphabet. https://theathletic.com/1685179/2020/03/19/picking-the-best-players-in-sabres-history-from-a-andreychuk-to-z-zhitnik/

A. Andreychuk - HOFer;  Others Audette, Arneil, Afinogenov

B. Briere or Barrasso - He choose Briere.  I’d choose Barrasso.  Others Curtis Brown, Barnaby, Biron, and Stuuuuuuu Barnes.

C. ......

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

D ...

Current day Dahlin isn’t as good as Drury in his prime with the Sabres, so ... Drury

The only other guy on the radar is JP Dumont, but Drury is the guy

1 hour ago, Tondas said:

Campbell's hit may be the best open ice, clean hit I've ever seen.

I'd take Soupy over Crozier also

9 hours ago, tom webster said:

You have to have watched the first few years of the Sabre’s to understand how unbelievable Crozier was.

Plus he was acquired for Tom Webster so there is that.

Yeah, there may be recency bias choosing Campbell.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Weave said:

Yeah, there may be recency bias choosing Campbell.

The Athletic guy choose Crozier as well.  

12 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Mike Foligno 

Danny Gare

These two are clearly the best F & G guys and Hasek for H.

Other F: Marcus Foligno, Grant Fuhr, Lee Fogolin.

Other G: Gaustad, Girgensons, Guevremont.

H = Hasek

Other H's: Housley (He gets the nod if not for Hasek), also Hawerchuk, Hecht, and Hajt.  Also solid Holzinger, Horton, and Hogue.  We have had a pretty good list of H's. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's more of a question of Housley's 8 seasons as a Sabres vs Hawerchuk's 4.25.  Who did more for this franchise?  I think y'all are under-rating Phil's contributions here as a player.

Longevity as a Sabre is all Housley has over Hawerchuck.  Dale was simply a higher level player all around.

• Like (+1) 2

I think Dale is one of the most underrated Sabres ever.

89, 98, 96 and 86 points in those 4 full seasons, including the 7th and 8th best Sabres seasons ever. Perreault is the only other Sabre player to appear twice on the top 10 Sabres scoring seasons. Not Mogilny, Lafontaine, Gare or Martin.

He’s 3rd in in points per game in team history after Lafontaine and Mogilny. 48 more points than Eichel in 12 less games. The same number of Sabre points overall as Patty.

Seasons of 80 and 75 assists - the second and 3rd best years in Sabres history.

150 more Sabre points than Briere and nearly 200 more Sabre points than Drury.

And his performance in the ‘93 playoffs -14 points in 8 games with Mogilny and Lafontaine hurt - was the best most dominant playoff performance by a skater in franchise history. No one even close.

He gets nowhere near the respect he deserves.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Preach!   1993 .... He carried a team on his back in that most intense sporting event that is NHL playoff hockey.  It was smack dab in the middle of the stew known as The Crossroads Arena Project.  Dale freakin’ Hawerchuk.

• Like (+1) 1

Only 2 candidates for the letter I

Randy Ireland and Billy Inglis - Inglis was an original Sabres and even coached the Sabres for most of one season.

So who is the best J - Not many good choices - Had we not stupidly traded him this would have been easy - Calle Johansson.  Joe Juneau?  Henri Jokiharju will probably win this letter in a few seasons, but I don't think 60 games is the top for this letter.  "Stars" like Doug Janik, Jeff Jillson, Chad Johnson, Val James, Jacob Josefson and Timo Jutila infect this letter.  Thoughts?  I'm thinking Calle still gets the nod, my guess is his 118 games in blue and gold is the most by a J player.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.