OT - What are you doing to pass the time

FogBat

7 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

Found this sitcom called Cheers on Netflix. It’s funny.  Only 10 more seasons to go!

Season 9 is kind of 'meh' but the rest is very good and they went all out on the final 10 episodes.

Have you gotten to Albania yet?

On 5/26/2020 at 8:59 PM, spndnchz said:

Found this sitcom called Cheers on Netflix. It’s funny.  Only 10 more seasons to go!

Still working and paying the bills.

Mrs. CC and I are working our way through NCIS. In spite of all of the cast changes, the show keeps going strong.

6 hours ago, Tondas said:

Drinking Maker's Mark Whisky and watching Hogan's Heroes reruns.  Actually, much more enjoyable than expected.

Hogan's Heroes is such a good show though. The humor really holds up, which can't be said for a lot of what came out of that era of comedy. And Klemperer's portrayal of Klink is top notch, which I think does a lot of the heavy lifting for the show.

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Hogan's Heroes is such a good show though. The humor really holds up, which can't be said for a lot of what came out of that era of comedy. And Klemperer's portrayal of Klink is top notch, which I think does a lot of the heavy lifting for the show.

Hogan's Heroes and Barney Miller were 2 of my favorite shows.  Both similar, ensemble casts, good writing and casting, and fine acting.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Tondas said:

Drinking Maker's Mark Whisky and watching Hogan's Heroes reruns.  Actually, much more enjoyable than expected.

I see that the other thread got locked (for good reason) so I'm just going to post this here.  I thought about just sending you a PM but after some consideration I figured I'd post it publicly.  I'm sorry that your wife has to deal with the ***** she does in this day and age.  It's inexcusable.  We're all human and we all deserve to be treated with respect but you know that as does she.  I can't change the minds of those that are set in their ways but I can mold my young childrens' minds to respect everyone regardless of differences and that's what my wife and I are doing.      

1 hour ago, Indabuff said:

I see that the other thread got locked (for good reason) so I'm just going to post this here.  I thought about just sending you a PM but after some consideration I figured I'd post it publicly.  I'm sorry that your wife has to deal with the ***** she does in this day and age.  It's inexcusable.  We're all human and we all deserve to be treated with respect but you know that as does she.  I can't change the minds of those that are set in their ways but I can mold my young childrens' minds to respect everyone regardless of differences and that's what my wife and I are doing.      

Well said. And enough said. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Indabuff said:

Thanks, Indabuff., this post made my day.  It  may have made my year.  The kids are our future.  I'm inspired that you and your wife are building a finer generation with your kids.  Sincerely, thank you.

On 6/1/2020 at 9:46 PM, Indabuff said:

I’ve been saying on other platforms that education begins at home. Your post proves this.

On 6/2/2020 at 4:16 AM, Tondas said:

Thanks, Indabuff., this post made my day.  It  may have made my year.  The kids are our future.  I'm inspired that you and your wife are building a finer generation with your kids.  Sincerely, thank you.

Just thought I’d let you know that there are Christian ministries that outright reject racism and that they unwaveringly proclaim that we are all one human race. I understand that you say that you are an atheist, but you seem to be open-minded enough to not throw the baby out with the bath water.

• Thanks (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

I finally finished reading Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank a couple of weeks ago. Nuclear war or not, the same scenario could have been applied to our current situation. I even got a chuckle out of the part where the town library suddenly started getting a huge amount of attention.

In the meantime, I plan to finish The Romanov Sisters by Helen Rappaport, Far From Rome Near to God (my apologies to the devout Catholics on here, but it does make for an interesting read from 50 different former priests), and Common Grace And The Gospel by Cornelius Van Til (when it comes to theology, this book is not child’s play). Oh, and there’s also Outbreak by Davis Bunn, which was published last year a few months before COVID-19 hit.

I can’t do much else when I’m home. My wife is still hunkered down at home since she’s immunocompromised.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm watching a lot more music videos on youtube.  And I've made a concerted effort to watch less news that's forced on me by TV.  If I want current news, I now search the web and get a 360 degree view of all news sources (noting their inherent biases) and draw my own conclusions.

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I'm watching a lot more music videos on youtube.  And I've made a concerted effort to watch less news that's forced on me by TV.  If I want current news, I now search the web and get a 360 degree view of all news sources (noting their inherent biases) and draw my own conclusions.

I hear ya. Discernment is key, but it’s also very difficult in this day and age with all of the information overload out there (not to mention actual “fake news” and the conspiracy theory spectrum). ATST, many of us will only listen to what we want to hear and thereby become guilty of confirmation bias regardless of our place on the political spectrum.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Tondas said:

I might recommend Smerconish on POTUS channel Sirius XM radio weekday mornings from 6-9am pacific.  News topics are debated from both sides of the political spectrum.  The host is well read and his guests are mostly writers, and Academics from higher institutions. Not like his CNN show on Saturdays.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Tondas said:

Youtube has been an amazing source gor maintaining my relative sanity during the COVID crisis.  Some of the content on Youtube Is fantastic.  And you are in total control of what you watch.  The content that alot of the musical performers have been putting out during this timeframe has been terrific.  The weekly live performances have really been great.

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

I’ve been cleaning, refurbishing and sharpening some old axes. Shaping and installing handles as well.

My collection is close to forty now but I am always keeping an eye out for more.

If I ever come to visit, I will be SURE to call first! ?

• Haha (+1) 2

I started reading Answering Jihad: A Better Way Forward by Nabeel Qureshi. WOW! What an eye-opener.

I’ve also started work on what will eventually become a Christian apologetics ministry. I read a lot as it is, so it seems like this would be right up my alley. After listening to debates by men like James White (not the football player), Greg Bahnsen, and Sye Ten Bruggencate, I see how apologetics debates are supposed to be done.

However, I’ve also decided to stop doing a news blog. It is impossible to meet daily deadlines with my highly erratic work schedule. Plus, I just can’t keep up with all the different news spins.

9 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

I started reading Answering Jihad: A Better Way Forward by Nabeel Qureshi. WOW! What an eye-opener.

I’ve also started work on what will eventually become a Christian apologetics ministry. I read a lot as it is, so it seems like this would be right up my alley. After listening to debates by men like James White (not the football player), Greg Bahnsen, and Sye Ten Bruggencate, I see how apologetics debates are supposed to be done.

However, I’ve also decided to stop doing a news blog. It is impossible to meet daily deadlines with my highly erratic work schedule. Plus, I just can’t keep up with all the different news spins.

Please keep an open mind when reading that book, especially the background of and who the author became.

I never understood the true meaning and motivation of the Christian Apologist movement.  Seems counter productive to me, but I wish you well.

7 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I never understood the true meaning and motivation of the Christian Apologist movement.  Seems counter productive to me, but I wish you well.

It depends on the theology/school of thought. I mentioned certain men for a reason. They’re some of the best in the “business” - especially when it comes to moderated debates. I’m not inclined to do classical or evidentialist debates. They’re not good starting points.

Meanwhile, I’m starting to wonder if we’ll ever get sports back.

4 minutes ago, Crosschecking said:

It depends on the theology/school of thought. I mentioned certain men for a reason. They’re some of the best in the “business” - especially when it comes to moderated debates. I’m not inclined to do classical or evidentialist debates. They’re not good starting points.

Meanwhile, I’m starting to wonder if we’ll ever get sports back.

I hear you.  Good luck with your new venture.

Sports was always a little deviation from reality.  The new reality is that there are no deviations from the new reality.  I don't think sports will ever be the same again.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.