OT - What are you doing to pass the time

FogBat

On 4/18/2020 at 7:25 PM, Eleven said:

That house is beautiful.

Somehow I missed this. Thank you very much. You wouldn’t believe the hardships that the first five years were. The salesman from the builder was solid but the worksmanship was not. They failed the code inspection in three consecutive visits. We hired a local lawyer that knew of these people to sue them for the remaining bank draw. They had a provision in the contract that required any litigation to be seen in the county of their main office. Seemed weird until we learned that the owner’s brother was one of two judges that would see the case. Then our lawyer that had success against these bozos passed away from cancer so we just settled the final draw with obligations on their part left unfulfilled. If I ever learn that I am terminal, I’m hunting these mother ***** down and beating them silly, one by one. Just like they beat my wife and me down.
  The well driller hired by the prime is now serving a life sentence for first degree murder. The well was garbage from day one and they lied about it due to a provision that I had in the contract. I hauled 500 gallons a week to a holding tank that I installed in the basement and plumbed into my waterworks for three years in rain/sleet/snow. We are now on the second well that produces 1/2 gallon/min so I engineered a system with float valves and a one hour cycle timer to have enough water for daily living. I still haul that 500 gallon tank for garden irrigation as needed. 
 We’ve been diligent and are slowly conquering the foes that stand in our way to a fruitful homestead. We call it Baileyshire. I love it here and I intend for my ashes to be interred on site. 

2 hours ago, spndnchz said:

Ayn Rand the Fountainhead currently reading. 

the book was the inspiration for Rush’s 2112

Yes, Neil Peart was quite the bibliophile. He had a voracious appetite when it came to reading.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Before and after, also ripped out my 1970s dishwasher and am going to "try to" install tomorrow after I gather up the rest of the pieces I need for the install. 

Did this all today and it's only one coat so far, a total remodel is out of my budget, so some hard work and 80 bucks and you can change the room to anything ya want ?

The issue I'm running into is the cupboards are so ugly, and the blueish material doesn't match anything now, I'm debating buying some bonding primer and doing all of those center pieces of all the cabinets a tan or deep walnut color to match the olive green. The other option is to find some cool contact paper and make inlays for them all, either way is going to be time consuming as hell. 

I'm far from a handyman and I'm open to any suggestions

ISif3kvwbayp811000000000.jpg

20200421_224245.jpg

20200421_224219.jpg

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Before and after, also ripped out my 1970s dishwasher and am going to "try to" install tomorrow after I gather up the rest of the pieces I need for the install. 

Did this all today and it's only one coat so far, a total remodel is out of my budget, so some hard work and 80 bucks and you can change the room to anything ya want ?

The issue I'm running into is the cupboards are so ugly, and the blueish material doesn't match anything now, I'm debating buying some bonding primer and doing all of those center pieces of all the cabinets a tan or deep walnut color to match the olive green. The other option is to find some cool contact paper and make inlays for them all, either way is going to be time consuming as hell. 

I'm far from a handyman and I'm open to any suggestions

ISif3kvwbayp811000000000.jpg

20200421_224245.jpg

20200421_224219.jpg

Ty Pennington and Property Bros., eat you hearts out!

I’ve finally filled those one handed excavations with Vermi-Green’s red worm compost. Two yards total. We lined the underworks of the deck with 6 mil plastic and lined it all with the rocks we’ve been digging up for the last six years. I did a lot by myself. A little with my 13 yo nephew’s help and today was Mrs. iT’s turn. She did a great job.

7F111607-CFFF-4627-9E93-8D599ADD8081.jpeg

D4201412-CE35-4B4F-9B93-EF70EA2132D2.jpeg

88CC86D5-39F7-44CB-91E1-0F17A13C3715.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/20/2020 at 8:07 AM, ubkev said:

And when it's above 50 degrees I'm riding my bike.

It was about 80 here today and I took my fixed gear bike on a 37 mile jaunt.  The trails on the west side of town are crowded with clueless people so I headed east which was far less crowded, and I found a new section of trail that's just been built.  I doesn't go anywhere yet but once it's connected it will provide a continuous trail connection from Fort Worth to Arlington (and some day, continuous trail all the way to Dallas).  The hold up is that it has to go under a freeway that's being rebuilt.

Starting point:  My backyard
qQrYsu3qmLpuuq997R6lpzHssw1bqhrpM_D91N6d

Heading north on largely deserted streets into downtown Fort Worth
pwIOcUckmRllENP1TUpTb9Y5s5qGqrdTG0y88h_q

My ugly mug somewhere in Gateway Park
X_4hQUHW0ODhKfcML42jNbZ0Bdw6i0-5tfV72nB4

More of the Gateway Park trail
gZVl9FMIgzqfdIFUBI1R0u98PUDT32ueituCmCbg

One of the overlooks near the Trinity River in Gateway Park
WiSoXrCS4a1gVDZI2eD821FHZG4A1tHy28-iBK-1

The old 1st Street bridge still runs parallel to the new one and is part of the trail system now.
qZBwX1-yO_shbyP2s0_N4Is3bCDJMtBUqEvfRGYw

Looking south from the old 1st Street bridge
BH2zwPmVUBh2DUPumJqBR4r26A9Ri4_QCFBYlVSt

The end of the Trinity Trail in Fort Worth.  Kind of like reaching the end of the internet
HK2X7pRic8TrZ6vs8hPotdFNBJyhBf06fOZh84_O

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2

My wife pulled out all the stops possible for my 50th birthday today. She had friends and family send greetings via pics and videos, and put them all together in a private video on YT. (Almost brought me to tears of joy.)  Then, I opened the presents she bought me. 1, a Buffalo Sabres license plate frame. 2, a Ristolainen jersey from the NHL online store.

She's much better than I deserve.

Edited by Crosschecking
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Crosschecking said:

My wife pulled out all the stops possible for my 50th birthday today. She had friends and family send greetings via pics and videos, and put them all together in a private video on YT. (Almost brought me to tears of joy.)  Then, I opened the presents she bought me. 1, a Buffalo Sabres license plate frame. 2, a Ristolainen jersey from the NHL online store.

She's much better than I deserve.

Happy birthday!  

You old fart.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Screaming at my bicycles. I hate front derailleurs. I hate rear derailleurs. I hate brakes. I hate! 4 bikes, only one is in good working order and it's not even mine! Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Nothing ever lines up! Ever!

Skis are so much easier than this. But then again, I actually have the right tools for skis.

On 3/19/2020 at 9:13 AM, sabills said:

I kicked off a new project that I am ill prepared for, but what the hell else am I gonna do with my time. Taking a shot at a built in dresser in my bedroom. This will be the closest to "cabinetry" my woodworking journey has taken me so far, so lets see how it goes.

progress. did the scary parts, now just the finishing.

image.thumb.png.71921eb1987f1edf8c4628a9beca7da6.png

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.