OT - What are you doing to pass the time

FogBat

Despite the stay at home order we are trying to do a weekly short trip for some outdoor time where we are unlikely to encounter many people.  So yesterday I drove the family about an hour southeast of us to Bentonville Battlefield, site of the last major offensive of the Confederacy.  As Sherman continued his march from Columbia, SC towards Raleigh he was attacked by Joseph Johnston's army here in mid March 1865.  The war essentially ended at Appomattox in early April so this crucial battle is often overlooked. There is a 3 mile battlefield walking tour/trail and we saw not a single soul on the entire walk.  This is a state run battlefield so the welcome center and a historical building that was used as a field hospital during the battle were not open, but they did a great job on the walking trail as remnants of the union trenches are still visible, with many placards along the way that describe movements and major events. We also paired this with a chance to support local businesses and stopped for drive by beer pickup at Deep River Brewing.

https://historicsites.nc.gov/all-sites/bentonville-battlefield

I was up in the andirondacks all week, just got home....hiked prospect mountain and into Hadley, Lake George and Placid were ghost towns, it was eerie. And in Keene, the general store made sandwiches and bakery goods where you called from your car and the put them on an outdoor table. You could only get your food once the store keeper went back inside and there was no on else outside. Strange times. 

My little trip was, not what I expected, from both a social standpoint and from the copious amounts of wind and snow that were encountered. 

18 hours ago, Ogre said:

My wife quilts from time to time but hasn’t in a long time. Up until a month ago I couldn’t see any possible reason to save multiple bins of fabric scraps. She’s a smart gal.

Some fabric shops will sell you a ‘kit’ and then when you bring the finished product to them they’ll refund all the cost.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I was up in the andirondacks all week, just got home....hiked prospect mountain and into Hadley, Lake George and Placid were ghost towns, it was eerie. And in Keene, the general store made sandwiches and bakery goods where you called from your car and the put them on an outdoor table. You could only get your food once the store keeper went back inside and there was no on else outside. Strange times. 

My little trip was, not what I expected, from both a social standpoint and from the copious amounts of wind and snow that were encountered. 

Lake George is empty all winter long. Doesn't start to pick up until May. I use it as a base of operations when I ski up north because hotel rooms are so cheap there in the winter. Half hour to Gore and an hour and 40 to Whiteface. It's either that or pay triple in North Creek or 10x in Lake Placid.

But still, Lake Placid flipping rocks.

5 hours ago, spndnchz said:

Some fabric shops will sell you a ‘kit’ and then when you bring the finished product to them they’ll refund all the cost.

We looked into it at the start of our empire but it seems like a lot of extra work shipping stuff. We also wanted to keep our handy work in our community. 
 This entire mask thing is exploding like crazy. My wife does the majority of the work. I cut fabric and stock up her pile. I also iron the pleats. She’s been sewing hours and hours because more and more people have heard we make them. People are buying up elastic and mailing it to her. More institutions every day call for masks. The Women’s Auxiliary League has contacted her and have more orders and supplies. I’ve affectionately nicknamed them the League of Extraordinary Women as they do this stuff for the community every day. I think they’ve made her an padawan or something.

Then I hear that there are a bunch of people on FB selling them for $10 each. Made me vomit in my mouth a little when I heard that. I may have a way about me but it is born out of true love and concern for my fellow human being. Neither my wife nor I would even entertain the thought of selling one of these masks.

In between online teaching, meetings, mask production and PT, I whittled away one armed at this project to enclose the underworkings of my deck. Being an esoteric builder, I couldn’t stand to go with a cookie cutter enclosure so I bought raw material and fabbed all of this. Added a few mullions where needed. Overall cost?....$28....I really like it.

98776523-FDDA-4111-96E0-DABF2EB908A4.jpeg

Edited by Ogre
Definitely not the underworld of my deck.
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Ogre said:

In between online teaching, meetings, mask production and PT, I whittled away one armed at this project to enclose the underworkings of my deck. Being an esoteric builder, I couldn’t stand to go with a cookie cutter enclosure so I bought raw material and fabbed all of this. Added a few mullions where needed. Overall cost?....$28....I really like it.

I have a soft spot for A frames.  And Gambrel roofs too.

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

I have a soft spot for A frames.  And Gambrel roofs too.

I've wanted a loft since I was just a little fella. I have a full sized bed right in between the knee wall for the stairs and the knee wall for the loft. Fits in there with barely enough room for the blankets. It is officially named The Napping Nook. You can doze in a bed yet hear any conversation downstairs. There's a full bedroom, Xbox mancave and sewing sweatshop up there. There was a ton of sacrifice that came with getting to the point of building a house. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I've wanted a loft since I was just a little fella. I have a full sized bed right in between the knee wall for the stairs and the knee wall for the loft. Fits in there with barely enough room for the blankets. It is officially named The Napping Nook. You can doze in a bed yet hear any conversation downstairs. There's a full bedroom, Xbox mancave and sewing sweatshop up there. There was a ton of sacrifice that came with getting to the point of building a house. 

E9CCD70C-FC7D-4A87-8E5B-26DBE80B31AD.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

We looked into it at the start of our empire but it seems like a lot of extra work shipping stuff. We also wanted to keep our handy work in our community. 
 This entire mask thing is exploding like crazy. My wife does the majority of the work. I cut fabric and stock up her pile. I also iron the pleats. She’s been sewing hours and hours because more and more people have heard we make them. People are buying up elastic and mailing it to her. More institutions every day call for masks. The Women’s Auxiliary League has contacted her and have more orders and supplies. I’ve affectionately nicknamed them the League of Extraordinary Women as they do this stuff for the community every day. I think they’ve made her an padawan or something.

Then I hear that there are a bunch of people on FB selling them for $10 each. Made me vomit in my mouth a little when I heard that. I may have a way about me but it is born out of true love and concern for my fellow human being. Neither my wife nor I would even entertain the thought of selling one of these masks.

Make sure you keep track of how much you spent. You don’t have to sell them, but you should absolutely not have to pay tax on that money you spend, as well.

Edited by SwampD

Mrs. CC and I spent the past day and a half doing spring cleaning, and I put together an L-Desk along with lateral file drawers to help her with her online business. Our place looks so much better and functional now. Plus, doing the bulk of the work yesterday kept our minds off of the four year anniversary of her miscarriage.

On 4/17/2020 at 5:51 PM, Ogre said:

That house is beautiful.

On 4/17/2020 at 11:45 AM, Weave said:

The weather is seriously hampering my usual go tos for my mental adjustments.  I need another 10-15 degrees of air temp and 10-15 degrees of water temp.

Walleye?

Edited by Indabuff
Crappie?

2 hours ago, Neo said:

I am gaining weight.   Five pounds, home for five weeks.  I’m am work at home full time.   I’ve become snack at home all day.

Funny, I'm losing weight. I only eat when I'm hungry now, instead of on a schedule, and I've been working out pretty much every day because I don't have anything better to do after work. I'm consistently under 200lbs for the first time since I was briefly training to become a cop like...11 years ago, and I'm not even doing any cardio.

I have increased the length of my dogs walks from about a mile and a half per day to about 6 miles per day depending on weather. And when it's above 50 degrees I'm riding my bike. The trails are completely empty behind my house, which is nice. The trails across town are full of dirt bikes, however, so I'm avoiding them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.