OT - What are you doing to pass the time

FogBat

2 minutes ago, Crosschecking said:

That scares me. Not because of what inmates are capable of doing, but all of those people so close together.

Yeah it's a bit scary. Luckily the inmate population at my facility is Covid19 free.. where Weinstein is not so much. Thankfully they stopped movement between facilities except for emergencies.  

Just rode 30 miles, the first half was nice, but the way home there were terrible crosswinds. 2000ft of elevation change. 

Also, I had a brain fart, at a red light I didn't unlock my feet from my pedals quick enough and slammed down hard on my left side, of course in front of all the traffic from the people that should be home. Very embarrassing indeed ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Walked around Letchworth for a couple hours today with the wife. A little brisk but sunny. Enjoyed it immensely. 

They really need to keep the parks open if they can.  We went to Chestnut Ridge and I didn't see anyone congregating.  Everyone was practicing safe distancing.  Sure looked like people were recharging their internal batteries there.  Good for them.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Walked around Letchworth for a couple hours today with the wife. A little brisk but sunny. Enjoyed it immensely. 

I went there last week or the week before it was nice as it always is, a lot of the trails were closed for hiking and my favorite little diner in Mt Morris wasn't available (Brian's USA diner). But still a nice little cruise and walk-around. 

Definitely starting to feel a little depressed as this thing goes on. The uncertainty has me putting off doing/investing in a lot of the things I was hoping to do this spring/summer. I want to buy better speakers for my stereo system, I want to get a better mouthpiece for my saxophone, I wanted to buy darkroom supplies so I could develop some of the film I've been shooting (along with shooting more film). But these are all "unnecessary" expenses that I can't bring myself to make given the situation.

But I can only read so much, and watch TV so much, and workout so much. There are other things I want to be doing but I feel like I can't pursue them and it's a real kick in the head.

Edited by darksabre
  • Like (+1) 1

Over the weekend I assembled a shelving unit and organized 2 large closets that were starting to look like landfills.  It took a few hours but was well worth it -- the before/after contrast is really striking.  One of those small things that you get a disproportionate amount of happiness from.

Washed down the entire kitchen including cabinets, doors, tops ( if you’ve never had a look up there yikes ) . A mixture of cooking grease and dust. A simple dish soap water mix and everything looks lily white and new. Washed walls , stove, fridge, etc. My wife is ecstatic so thats good. Cleaned the garage which has become a catchall over the winter.

shite , what next ?

18 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Washed down the entire kitchen including cabinets, doors, tops ( if you’ve never had a look up there yikes ) . A mixture of cooking grease and dust. A simple dish soap water mix and everything looks lily white and new. Washed walls , stove, fridge, etc. My wife is ecstatic so thats good. Cleaned the garage which has become a catchall over the winter.

shite , what next ?

You want a nice hidden place for a mess?  The top of the fridge.  "Hi shrader's wife" is written in the dust up there in the hopes that she someday sees it.

• Haha (+1) 2

Trying to make a loaf of homemade bread.

I also put on a suit (top only, so naked from the waist down) and interviewed my cat while wearing a Ted Koppel wig from Halloween 1982.

I think I'm doing OK.

Edited by PASabreFan
Wig allergy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm picking up where I left off a few months ago with Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank. I don't know what possessed me to start reading it again. But it's an interesting parallel between nuclear war and the current pandemic - except that our cities are still standing.

Over the past two days, I finished reading two books. Yesterday, it was We Cannot Be Silent by R. Albert Mohler, Jr. Today, it was A Defense of Liberty Against Tyrants by Junius Brutus.

Now comes the hard part: modernizing the latter. It's going to take some time, but I believe it will be well worth it. I may read Machiavelli's The Prince just to see how much the other book was an outright antithesis.

Edited by Crosschecking
addendum
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.