OT - What are you doing to pass the time

FogBat

Beautiful early spring day here.

Just got back from a 90 minute hike with the family unit out on some old logging roads.

Crossed paths (at social distance) with two singles, one couple, and a young family of four.

Edited by dudacek

36 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Beautiful early spring day here.

Just got back from a 90 minute hike with the family unit out on some old logging roads.

Crossed paths (at social distance) with two singles, one couple, and a young family of four.

Today, before the cold front showed up, the sidewalks were the busiest I've seen them in the 17yrs we've been here.  You can tell everyone is itching to get out of the house.

Still working (from home).  We went to a 4x10 schedule with the first of the year so I have a three day weekend every week.  I've been getting some rides in.   20 miles on my fixed gear this afternoon.

The city is just really quiet.  This is Main Street in downtown Fort Worth.  Usually it's busy with traffic, even on a Sunday, but I went through a couple of turns of the light setting up and taking these pictures without a car to be seen.

zjHAkkQt5Ruwrgp2WukNQjUtCe-zPD8FohHGQRa_

sgbQjCN4cJdcKIasfR0aHACuNDZPznurH6Ut_6T2

Edited by Doohickie

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

I was just hitting the point of needing a hair cut when the craziness started. Today I finally caved and ordered some hair clippers on amazon. I figure that if I’m going to badly botch an attempted hair cut, I should do it early and leave time to recover. 

#2 guard on the whole thing and never look back.

15 minutes ago, shrader said:

I was just hitting the point of needing a hair cut when the craziness started. Today I finally caved and ordered some hair clippers on amazon. I figure that if I’m going to badly botch an attempted hair cut, I should do it early and leave time to recover. 

I booked a haircut as soon as the NYS ban was announced.  I'm happy that I did, even though I have no one to look good for.  Still, I FELT better.  I worry that these shutdowns don't consider our psychological needs.  And I don't meant haircuts.  I mean, talking with people.  Seeing people.  When my most important social contact is the woman at the prescription counter at Rite-Aid, that's not good for anyone.  It's the same as seeing the haircut person.  

Edited by Eleven
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Just trying to lighten the mood with a joke.  The gravity of the situation is starting to set in for a lot of people.  

I guess so?  I care more whether she gives me the right prescription.  I don't tend to flirt with my pharmacist.  I mean, if she's attractive to me and I run into her somewhere else, maybe?  But not while she is doing her job.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I guess so?  I care more whether she gives me the right prescription.  I don't tend to flirt with my pharmacist.  I mean, if she's attractive to me and I run into her somewhere else, maybe?  But not while she is doing her job.

So you won't come to the hospital and flirt with me..... And here I thought we had something special?

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Still working (from home).  We went to a 4x10 schedule with the first of the year so I have a three day weekend every week.  I've been getting some rides in.   20 miles on my fixed gear this afternoon.

The city is just really quiet.  This is Main Street in downtown Fort Worth.  Usually it's busy with traffic, even on a Sunday, but I went through a couple of turns of the light setting up and taking these pictures without a car to be seen.

zjHAkkQt5Ruwrgp2WukNQjUtCe-zPD8FohHGQRa_

sgbQjCN4cJdcKIasfR0aHACuNDZPznurH6Ut_6T2

Looks like rush hour in Pyongyang.

6 minutes ago, sabills said:

We attempted playing DnD with my regular group over the internet this weekend. It went...ok! We'll be trying it out again soon, try to get it back to a semi regular thing. Even streaming video socialization felt good.

I spent the whole day in video chats. I ended up with another group of friends watching Indycar iRacing and... drinking lol

11 hours ago, Weave said:

#2 guard on the whole thing and never look back.

My usual hair cut is always #3 on the sides and then they cut the top.  So I'm just going to start with the 3 and see how that works out.  I've only ever had a scissor cut on the top of my head, so this is uncharted territory.  I'm hoping it works out well though, because it will eliminate my hair cutting budget.  The wife can take that money instead for her $85,000 hair cuts.

I tell you what though.  As someone who has never bought one of these things, reading through the comments while trying to find a decent one?  Not fun.  It reminded me of that bit in one of the Austin Powers movie where they describe the appearance of Dr. Evil's rocket ship.

So there's this one book I read many years ago, and I am re-reading it again on Kindle. Very profound, to say the least. The problem is that it was translated from 16th century French into English in 1689. While I'd like to say that I've read enough English from that epoch to know what it's saying, most people these days probably wouldn't know what was being said.

Having said that, I'm trying to take a crack at modernizing the language without sacrificing the context so that people today may understand it better.

Edited by Crosschecking
addendum
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

So there's this one book I read many years ago, and I am re-reading it again on Kindle. Very profound, to say the least. The problem is that it was translated from 16th century French into English in 1689. While I'd like to say that I've read enough English from that epoch to know what it's saying, most people these probably wouldn't know what was being said.

Having said that, I'm trying to take a crack at modernizing the language without sacrificing the context so that people today may understand it better.

What’s the book

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.