OT - What are you doing to pass the time

FogBat

Old Sabres games.

Theory of several complex variables.

Math contests, applied math techniques.

FIDE Candidates Tournament

System networking and administration for new job.

Music analysis videos from different YouTube channels.

History, cultural, etc. YouTube channels.

Classic TV favourites.

Classic movies that I haven't seen in aeons.

16 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

Math contests

If you've got anything fun that only requires college-level number theory from the early 90s, please send it on.

17 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

Classic movies that I haven't seen in aeons

I really wish I had kept my VCR.  I still have my treasured tapes of White Heat and Double Indemnity and In the Heat of the Night, but no way to play them.

• Like (+1) 1

I went out and took a walk today, the only exception to my isolation order. It seemed to snap me out of the funk I'd been in. Eat, sleep, consume massive amounts of coronavirus coverage and information. It's... not good.

I'm itching to do something to help others from home. Virtual Volunteering, big words that no one ever thought would have been possible. Haven't put my finger on anything, but there are some intriguing opportunities, like answering texts from people who are having mental health issues. I mean, I've been basically doing that here for years.

Oh yeah, on my walk I saw a young guy on a skateboard carrying a fishing pole while wearing a surgical mask.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I went out and took a walk today, the only exception to my isolation order. It seemed to snap me out of the funk I'd been in. Eat, sleep, consume massive amounts of coronavirus coverage and information. It's... not good.

I'm itching to do something to help others from home. Virtual Volunteering, big words that no one ever thought would have been possible. Haven't put my finger on anything, but there are some intriguing opportunities, like answering texts from people who are having mental health issues. I mean, I've been basically doing that here for years.

Oh yeah, on my walk I saw a young guy on a skateboard carrying a fishing pole while wearing a surgical mask.

I think you may need to reduce your intake of virus coverage.  I refuse to use the "C" word for it anymore because it's becoming nauseating.  You would be better off getting 15 minutes worth of updates a day and spending more time outside.  I came home from work the other night and stood in the driveway listening to the spring peepers for 15 minutes and it felt really, really good.  It honestly felt like my internal battery was recharging from the sound.  Spring is here, new life is here.  Embrace it.  I know I'm preaching to the choir but even the choir needs to be reminded sometimes.

• Like (+1) 5

15 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

I think you may need to reduce your intake of virus coverage.  I refuse to use the "C" word for it anymore because it's becoming nauseating.  You would be better off getting 15 minutes worth of updates a day and spending more time outside.  I came home from work the other night and stood in the driveway listening to the spring peepers for 15 minutes and it felt really, really good.  It honestly felt like my internal battery was recharging from the sound.  Spring is here, new life is here.  Embrace it.  I know I'm preaching to the choir but even the choir needs to be reminded sometimes.

Very solid advice. I haven't heard peepers yet, but those other frogs are making a ruckus. Quite early for these here parts. Mourning doves returned almost right on cue about March 15. The incredibly annoying but remarkably communal black birds that evicted the finches from the arborvitae by my window last spring are back. It looks like they're going to settle in a golden cypress bush this year, which is surprising because it's so much lower to the ground. Thank you for your reply. It honestly helped. I paused Dr. Fauci to read it.

10 minutes ago, Neo said:

I am playing chess with hundreds of people of all races, creeds, ages, genders and nationalities from around the world on Lichess.org.

chinesecheckers.com here.

Too soon?

4 hours ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

Old Sabres games.

Theory of several complex variables.

Math contests, applied math techniques.

FIDE Candidates Tournament

System networking and administration for new job.

Music analysis videos from different YouTube channels.

History, cultural, etc. YouTube channels.

Classic TV favourites.

Classic movies that I haven't seen in aeons.

FIDE Candidates ...  I dig Agadmator.   6:40 - “an improved Bong Cloud”!

Music analysis on Youtube ...  John Bonham getting in with Jimmy Page 

Edited by Neo

Group of buddies generally gets together at least one night a week to watch sports and have a beer together.

Thinking of trying to set up a virtual version of same, maybe on Zoom?

Neophyte to this. Has anyone done anything similar and do you have any tips?

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Group of buddies generally gets together at least one night a week to watch sports and have a beer together.

I drove by a group of guys hanging out on what amounted to two front lawns (so neighbors were involved), all in lawn chairs that were ten feet away from one another, all having a beer or a drink.  Seemed nice,

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm itching to do something to help others from home. Virtual Volunteering,

Not being able to volunteer is killing me.

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Zoom is cool. You can either set it up Brady Bunch style, or have it voice activated, where the guy talking pops up to fill the screen.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I know that churches and ministries are doing what they can to help their respective communities during this crisis. I'm not sure what they're doing this time, but they've always seemed to step up to the plate in times past like with Luther and Zwingli during the 16th century plague and Spurgeon during the 19th century cholera outbreak. (Spurgeon also was a fierce opponent of chattel slavery, which earned him plenty of opposition from Deep South preachers up until the end of our Civil War. Plus, he started a charity that still bears his name in the UK.) So, we're ready to roll up our sleeves and help where it's needed.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Neo said:

Oh, man ....  wear a helmet.   Mrs. Neo and I binged it at the suggestion of a NeoEtte.   Disturbingly, much of it took place in Tampa.

See, you say disturbingly. But my parents live just outside of Tampa and in all of my trips to Florida, that's just how I remember it always being. ?

5 minutes ago, ubkev said:

See, you say disturbingly. But my parents live just outside of Tampa and in all of my trips to Florida, that's just how I remember it always being. ?

I am as capable of rationalizing and compartmentalizing as anyone!

16 hours ago, Eleven said:

I really wish I had kept my VCR.  I still have my treasured tapes of White Heat and Double Indemnity and In the Heat of the Night, but no way to play them.

My favorite VCR recording that I watched a million times was a copy of one of the Star Wars movie that included a crawl across the bottom announcing that the US had declared war against Iraq.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.