OT - What are you doing to pass the time

FogBat

My schedule has stayed pretty much the same. Still going to the office since our suite has so few people in it anyway.

I did get a new game, Jalopy, for my XBox just for funsies. It's really janky but actually pretty hard/fun. And the story is really intriguing...

Jalopy-1-min-696x392.jpg

The game follows the player character known only as Splat and his Uncle Lütfi, two Germans of Turkish descent from Eastern Berlin who have decided to go on a road trip to Istanbul since the Iron Curtain fell. The main task of the game is to get to Istanbul to drop the Uncle off all the while maintaining the Laika (heavily based on the Trabant 601) which is prone to frequent breakdowns signified by smoke coming from the sides of the bonnet. The player passes through East Germany, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria and Turkey on his trip with his uncle. The cities he stops in all contain shops important to maintaining his car, and to sell objects found in discarded boxes strewn across the roads on his trip. The player may choose to upgrade the Laika if he has enough money.

When the uncle falls asleep in the hotel, the player can open his briefcase and collect notes that put together a backstory. Turns out the player and the uncle have been separated from the rest of their family residing in West Berlin for almost 30 years because the Uncle was with him as a baby on the East Side the night the Berlin Wall was erected on August 12, 1961. The uncle has been keeping in contact with the rest of the family, especially his mother, while he kept everything oblivious to him those 30 years. Both of the parents died before the Berlin Wall was torn down, and the mother's last wish was for her husband's ashes to be scattered across the Bosporus when they arrive in Istanbul (which is the reason why Uncle talked his nephew in on going on this seemingly random road trip). After he drops him off in Istanbul, he is never seen again, with him simply leaving a note telling his nephew that he has to go do something alone and to look after himself and to live his life fully. After that the game never ends. The player can reset from the beginning and do it all over again as many times as he wants. The only difference being Uncle is absent for the entirety of the game.

Watching movies/tv shows

Decluttering entire house room by room

Posting various things on eBay 

Staying away from overreacting media and people as much as possible. Staying with factual sources mostly void of opinion.

Finding videos and photos online of nut jobs fighting over one of the shoppers wanting to buy 70 rolls of TP or 12 gallons of milk, or 15 cans of corn, or 10 blocks of cheese, or 40 pounds of cat litter. 

27 minutes ago, sabills said:

I kicked off a new project that I am ill prepared for, but what the hell else am I gonna do with my time. Taking a shot at a built in dresser in my bedroom. This will be the closest to "cabinetry" my woodworking journey has taken me so far, so lets see how it goes.

Soon:

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Watching movies/tv shows

Decluttering entire house room by room

Posting various things on eBay 

Staying away from overreacting media and people as much as possible. Staying with factual sources mostly void of opinion.

Finding videos and photos online of nut jobs fighting over one of the shoppers wanting to buy 70 rolls of TP or 12 gallons of milk, or 15 cans of corn, or 10 blocks of cheese, or 40 pounds of cat litter. 

What's your starting bid on the cat litter?

I plan on giving the house a good top to bottom cleaning and sorting through keepsakes/souvenirs that occupy two rooms. I'm going to walk a lot (if my allergies cooperate), something my doctor will allow if I go by myself. Weights, stretching, isometrics... The line of food I laid in is mostly healthy, so along with exercise, this is actually a good opportunity to lose fat and get in shape. Will any of that happen? We shall see.

• Haha (+1) 1

Working. Reading the news and other websites instead of commuting. Planning to organize the bookshelves... Planning to do yard stuff... Planning other house stuff. Lots of quality procrastination!

Edit: But I haven't binge-watched anything yet. Not a drop of any specific film franchise.

Edited by DarthEbriate

I was already in between gigs when this all started so I was filling some extra free time with working around the house etc.  But now my kids are home all damn day with me and needless to say that creates a whole new dynamic.  My sons school actually has a good online classroom learning program in place that started this week, but my daughter at a different school has no plan in place yet for online learning.  So Im filling time with doddering around the house and trying to not let my kids drive me nuts.  Today I'm thinking about making multiple runs to the dump with my truck to clean out clutter from the attic and garage.

Working from home now for a week.  Been doing a daily 2 mile walk with my wife to burn off the stress.  One of the nice things about this event is all the people outside again in my neighborhood.  Kids on bikes and skateboards or just playing in their yards and parents walking, running or cycling.  I even saw one dad playing 4 square with his son.  It feels like summer in Buffalo Circa 1983.

I've also been binge watching some series on Netflix and Prime. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Working from home now for a week.  Been doing a daily 2 mile walk with my wife to burn off the stress.  One of the nice things about this event is all the people outside again in my neighborhood.  Kids on bikes and skateboards or just playing in their yards and parents walking, running or cycling.  I even saw one dad playing 4 square with his son.  It feels like summer in Buffalo Circa 1983.

I've also been binge watching some series on Netflix and Prime. 

Are all those people outside practicing social distancing?

Working from home is optional at my job right now.  I tried working from home Monday and Tuesday, but the kids are home, which makes it difficult to get anything done.  Then my wife had the brilliant idea of having her mother come over to help with the kids....I'm back at the office.  Fortunately, very few others are coming in, so it is quiet, I can get a lot of work done and I can keep social distance from others.  I have an office with a door, so I can keep it closed and not interact much with others.  I've even had conference calls with people in the building who I would normally meet with face-to-face.

I wish I had something more interesting to share, but I think the mother-in-law thing is kind of funny and many can probably relate!

Edited by msw2112

I've been furloughed since I tore my rotator. The PT people think I may have actually jammed my collarbone into it and actually sliced it with the way I fell but that's irrelevant at this point. Two weeks post op yesterday so I have daily PT 5 times a day(passive range of motion for another 4 weeks). Walking 3 miles, doing lunges and one legged toe raises. No bar on the shoulders yet. I had planned on getting back into the classroom this week but our program is suspended for now. Lot's of cooking/cleaning. I built a new raised bed garden the other day with my good arm. I enjoyed the challenge. I'm usually burning the candle on both ends but with all of this free time I'm able to research and better the Power points I use in class. I'm also making good use of the Xbox. We did have one of the elderly neighbors that we reached out to respond. The husband has had a kidney transplant so they appreciated the offer and are more than willing to let us run errands that they need done. I just hope the rest weren't offended by our offer. I am also driving my wife nuts. She is reciprocating in kind?.

For those who like to pass the time reading, a relevant but perhaps anxiety inducing read would be this:

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Influenza-Deadliest-Pandemic-History-dp-0143036491/dp/0143036491/ref=mt_paperback?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1584633643

I read it years ago and I remember it being a fascinating story for all audiences...not too technical.

The little landscape timber box is the new part. It’s for the Arctic kiwi my wife bought me for my birthday. I plan on building a trestle on the existing tiered bed there for it to climb but I may need a second arm for that.

1DD682B9-9A4E-44D0-AC5C-DAF2052AAFF0.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

For the most part absolutely nothing has changed for me.  I work from home and continue to do so.  The kids are home but it's like vacation when they are home. I have my space and they know not to intrude.

The biggest change is what to do with not having to play taxi driver for the kids, but even that had already slowed down.  The weather was crap so I didn't feel like going outside anyway.

Right now, every day is the same for me.  I spend most of my "free" time talking to friends of mine who are not getting through it as easy.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.