Sabres Sign Brandon Biro to ELC

Brawndo

1 hour ago, shrader said:

We've had this same exact response around here to every single college free agent signing since the Darcy days.  It gets old.  Organizations have to make these kind of signings too.  Judging every single move through the same exact lens, it's pointless.

I agree with you, but in addition to these signings, the GM needs to build the NHL roster too. 

If Botterill spent the last three years building a playoff roster, this signing would be under the radar or a gotten a comment of 'good job.'

But it's also fair to point out that the Amerks under Botterill are well-stocked with AHL lifers, and under-stocked with legitimate NHL prospects.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jad1 said:

I agree with you, but in addition to these signings, the GM needs to build the NHL roster too. 

If Botterill spent the last three years building a playoff roster, this signing would be under the radar or a gotten a comment of 'good job.'

But it's also fair to point out that the Amerks under Botterill are well-stocked with AHL lifers, and under-stocked with legitimate NHL prospects.

It would be more notable if this was a goalie he signed 

7 hours ago, inkman said:

Ugh.  They aren't even trying to hide their nepotism.  I wonder if ol Uncle Terry has an unspoken deal worked out with JBot and Penn St Alum.  @PASabreFan would enjoy this conversation.  

Would? I'm alive, damn it. I live.

I'd love to hear Terry's scouting report to Jason. "You gotta see this kid! Man, can he skate."

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jad1 said:

This is likely to change very soon. Most of our prospects under JBot's regime are just starting to reach AHL age.

23 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I know your venting, but really.  There is nothing similar about being an NFL GM vs an NHL GM except running pro sports teams.  One league has guaranteed contracts and one doesn't.  One is drafting 21 year olds and up and one is drafting 18 year olds.  One league allows cap carryover and one doesn't.  Frankly Beane has a much easier job.  He doesn't have to develop talent, the NCAA does it for him.  In his draft he is looking for guys who will play immediately.  If a guy doesn't pan out, he can cut him and get rid of most of his cap hit. He's not stuck with the Bogo's and Moulsons of the world.  

I agree Beane has done a good job so far, but it's all hinges on Allen taking another step forward as the QB.  If Allen doesn't work out, will you all be singing Beane's praises? It's also funny how people in this thread are complaining because another depth organizational signing is from TP's school Penn St, yet I'm hearing almost no complaint about Beane signing guy after guy who played for McDermott in Carolina.  Last I looked McDermott and the Panthers didn't win it all. 

First bolded:  there is one similarity that is more important than any of the differences:  in both sports, the GM is accountable for the team's results.

2nd bolded:  as others have noted upthread, not everything hinges on Allen's continued growth.  I agree that becoming a legit title contender depends on it, but making the playoffs doesn't, since the Bills have already done so in 2 of BB's 3 seasons -- and that is a huge difference between BB and JB.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.