Sabres Sign Brandon Biro to ELC

Brawndo

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Don't know him is he supposed to be somewhate decent ?  ?

Our resident “prospects” experts can probably say it better but

To give you an idea, I’ve seen lists of top 50 guys and neither he nor the Finnish winger are on there.

Buffalo is almost always signing the second tier guys when it comes to these kind of signings.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Beane: Fills all roster holes with shrewd moves, pounces big on an offensive weapon when he recognizes the team is in win now mode

Botterill (4 years later): Smells his thumb and wonders where it's been

I know your venting, but really.  There is nothing similar about being an NFL GM vs an NHL GM except running pro sports teams.  One league has guaranteed contracts and one doesn't.  One is drafting 21 year olds and up and one is drafting 18 year olds.  One league allows cap carryover and one doesn't.  Frankly Beane has a much easier job.  He doesn't have to develop talent, the NCAA does it for him.  In his draft he is looking for guys who will play immediately.  If a guy doesn't pan out, he can cut him and get rid of most of his cap hit. He's not stuck with the Bogo's and Moulsons of the world.  

I agree Beane has done a good job so far, but it's all hinges on Allen taking another step forward as the QB.  If Allen doesn't work out, will you all be singing Beane's praises? It's also funny how people in this thread are complaining because another depth organizational signing is from TP's school Penn St, yet I'm hearing almost no complaint about Beane signing guy after guy who played for McDermott in Carolina.  Last I looked McDermott and the Panthers didn't win it all. 

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I know your venting, but really.  There is nothing similar about being an NFL GM vs an NHL GM except running pro sports teams.  One league has guaranteed contracts and one doesn't.  One is drafting 21 year olds and up and one is drafting 18 year olds.  One league allows cap carryover and one doesn't.  Frankly Beane has a much easier job.  He doesn't have to develop talent, the NCAA does it for him.  In his draft he is looking for guys who will play immediately.  If a guy doesn't pan out, he can cut him and get rid of most of his cap hit. He's not stuck with the Bogo's and Moulsons of the world.  

I agree Beane has done a good job so far, but it's all hinges on Allen taking another step forward as the QB.  If Allen doesn't work out, will you all be singing Beane's praises? It's also funny how people in this thread are complaining because another depth organizational signing is from TP's school Penn St, yet I'm hearing almost no complaint about Beane signing guy after guy who played for McDermott in Carolina.  Last I looked McDermott and the Panthers didn't win it all. 

Pick any other NHL GM then

Last I looked, McDermott and the Panthers made a SB 

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Allen may have not proven himself yet, but despite that, Beane and McDermott have built a team that's made the playoffs 2 out of their 3 years on the job.

Yes, Allen's improvement will ultimately prove Beane and McDermott's success, but in the meantime, these two guys aren't messing around.

Botterill's best player (Eichel) is a star, and he has a couple of solid supporting players (Olofsson,  Reinhart, Dahlin, Skinner) but he cannot build a team around them to make the playoffs.

Beane has built a solid team around a developing star, while Botterill has a star, but has done nothing to build a team around him.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Is the aggravation about him being signed?

being signed for the Amerks?

Or is there confusion and assumption that he’s instantly making the Sabres squad?

It’s most likely the sheer mediocrity of the move.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

It’s most likely the sheer mediocrity of the move.

The college free agents are still getting a handle on their exact situations right now, with their season unexpectedly coming to an end.  There's been maybe a handful of these signings so far.  And this one is what most of those typically are, crap shoot long term projects with no fanfare.  Most of them will be just what you described, mediocre.  But that doesn't mean the teams shouldn't be making them, especially when they have 6 open roster spots like Buffalo did prior to this signing.

Signing a guy like this is not some sign that the GM is clueless.  There is absolutely nothing else they can do right now.

9 minutes ago, shrader said:

The college free agents are still getting a handle on their exact situations right now, with their season unexpectedly coming to an end.  There's been maybe a handful of these signings so far.  And this one is what most of those typically are, crap shoot long term projects with no fanfare.  Most of them will be just what you described, mediocre.  But that doesn't mean the teams shouldn't be making them, especially when they have 6 open roster spots like Buffalo did prior to this signing.

Signing a guy like this is not some sign that the GM is clueless.  There is absolutely nothing else they can do right now.

Sure.  A GM has a lot of responsibilities at multiple levels, and a good GM is good at most of them.

The problem with this move isn't that it doesn't move needle for the Amerks, it's that Botterill is unable to make the moves to move the needle for the Sabres. 

It's true that Botterill can't make moves right now to help the big club.  However, he hasn't made nearly enough of those moves when he had the chance over the last couple of seasons.

It seems that Botterill's strength as a GM is to bring in AHL lifers in to help the Amerks, which is fine, and expected of an good GM.  Unfortunately those types of moves haven't helped the Sabres make the playoffs, which is the main frustration with Botterill.

Edited by jad1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Very aware of all this.  The strongest reaction I have to it is a yawn.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jad1 said:

Sure.  A GM has a lot of responsibilities at multiple levels, and a good GM is good at most of them.

The problem with this move isn't that it doesn't move needle for the Amerks, it's that Botterill is unable to make the moves to move the needle for the Sabres. 

It's true that Botterill can't make moves right now to help the big club.  However, he hasn't made nearly enough of those moves when he had the chance over the last couple of seasons.

It seems that Botterill's strength as a GM is to bring in AHL lifers in to help the Amerks, which is fine, and expected of an good GM.  Unfortunately those types of moves haven't helped the Sabres make the playoffs, which is the main frustration with Botterill.

We've had this same exact response around here to every single college free agent signing since the Darcy days.  It gets old.  Organizations have to make these kind of signings too.  Judging every single move through the same exact lens, it's pointless.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.