Sabres 05-06 Playoffs coming to YouTube

darksabre

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The new colors arrived in 1996. Rigas didn't own the team then. He didn't have operational control until some time in 1998. He didn't officially own the team until 2000. He had infused the franchise with cash by 1996. I'm still looking for evidence that the colors were connected to Adelphia. "Because 'Adelphia' owned the team" isn't factual.

There was unquestionable cross-over marketing afterward and the colour palette matched perfectly.  Coincidences like the identical colours and shades never strike me as random -- probably from too many stories from the production staffs of Star Trek, Doctor Who, and Blake's 7.  (I went to a lot of conventions from 1976-89, so your questions of my brain functions are well-founded.)  Because of this, I and many others around me firmly believed that the Rigases were "consulted" by Doug Moss's GF and the marketing staff about changing the colour scheme (IIRC, John Rigas was on the Board of Directors by then).  If there were differences in the colours RGB values, my Netscape 4.7 could not detect them.

Note 1: I am not calling this a conspiracy; I am calling it competence.  If I had been the Rigases and if I were unattached to Ye Olde Blue 'n' Gold, I would have said that the colour palette chosen would affect my purchase offer.  If my corporate colours had been black, teal green, candy apple red, electric blue, canary yellow, pumpkin orange, and eggplant, I would have based my price in part on how close the team's colour combination and weighted percentage of all the colours matched my company's.

Note 2: I am jaded by, among other things, Sir Michael Grade confirming some of what I thought were the most asinine rumours about how BBC executives worked to destroy Doctor Who after season 22 and by what friends of mine who worked at Adelphia at the time thought.  We could all be wrong.

10 hours ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

There was unquestionable cross-over marketing afterward and the colour palette matched perfectly.  Coincidences like the identical colours and shades never strike me as random -- probably from too many stories from the production staffs of Star Trek, Doctor Who, and Blake's 7.  (I went to a lot of conventions from 1976-89, so your questions of my brain functions are well-founded.)  Because of this, I and many others around me firmly believed that the Rigases were "consulted" by Doug Moss's GF and the marketing staff about changing the colour scheme (IIRC, John Rigas was on the Board of Directors by then).  If there were differences in the colours RGB values, my Netscape 4.7 could not detect them.

Note 1: I am not calling this a conspiracy; I am calling it competence.  If I had been the Rigases and if I were unattached to Ye Olde Blue 'n' Gold, I would have said that the colour palette chosen would affect my purchase offer.  If my corporate colours had been black, teal green, candy apple red, electric blue, canary yellow, pumpkin orange, and eggplant, I would have based my price in part on how close the team's colour combination and weighted percentage of all the colours matched my company's.

Note 2: I am jaded by, among other things, Sir Michael Grade confirming some of what I thought were the most asinine rumours about how BBC executives worked to destroy Doctor Who after season 22 and by what friends of mine who worked at Adelphia at the time thought.  We could all be wrong.

Again, not saying you're wrong. I'd like to hear someone confirm it though. Which, of course, will not happen, because Doug's GF's parrot is still under the NDA.

• Like (+1) 1

I watched parts of Game 7 against Carolina a few months ago.  A few things of note.

1. Buffalo Sabres fans were about 40% of the attendees.  They were so loud that it sounded like the Carolina PA people accidentally blew their goal horn or something when the Sabres scored.  They were also louder than Caniacs.

2. After Janik's goal, Doc Emrick said that the fans were chanting "Let's Go Hurricanes."  I had forgotten how much this lying pissed me off.

3. Carolina sleepwalked through the first 2 periods, as if they figured the Sabres would just collapse under the weight of the moment without Connolly, Kalinin, Tallinder, Numminen, and McKee.  It was like Hecht's goal woke them up because they played with far more urgency in the 3rd period.

4. Memories of Rod Brind'Amour and Peter Laviolette getting bent out of shape by Lindy Ruff's press conferences after McKee's injury was revealed made me smile.  He was awesome at this.

5. Had the NHL not gone with the ultra-divisional game distribution and seeding, the Sabres would have played Carolina in round 2 at full strength.  Based on what actually happened, I think the Sabres would have won in 6.  What happens in round 3 then?

53 minutes ago, darksabre said:

They actually just uploaded game one of the Sens series!

Check that account's Twitter feed for the rest of the Philly series, they're all up.

I seem to recall getting through security in DTW on my way back home from a work week. By the time I got to the gate the Sabres were winning, and then it was tied as I boarded... and I arrived home hours later to a victory. Can't wait to get to this one, but I'm still beating busy Philly soundly.

• Like (+1) 1

(Deleted original)

I compared the Philly series with Sabres games from the 1997-2001 and 2010-1 playoffs plus random series since The Terrible Lockout.  I am going to make a bold, unpopular statement: in any playoffs after 2007, that 2005-6 team would have a hard time getting past the first round unless Miller had stood on his head because of they were small and because of the clutch-and-grab.

Don Cherry, Bob Clarke, et al. hated them and had the pull of CBC and Comcast to rescind enforcement of the rules.  (Remember the week where every article on major hockey sites run by their fellow ardipithicenes decried, "the eventual destruction of hockey" by "Buffalo's Pond Hockey Pansies"?  Spector's Hockey got so obnoxious that I stopped going in early 2006.) Their inability to fight through "normal skiing", "good, legal holds", "honest, legal interference", and "strong, legal obstruction" would make winning any series difficult.   It worked: these guys convinced the NHL that this kind of hockey was inferior entertainment to the Dead Puck Era, which is closer to current hockey than 2005-6 is.

Edited by E4 ... Ke2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.