Updated: Pegulas and arena/hospitality workers

StuckinFL

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I am no longer interested in supporting anything outside of their sport franchises and my Sabres interest will remain almost non existent as long as Botterill is in charge. 

I'll go as far as their sports franchises as well.  I don't share the same opinion on the GM, but its' really not relevant to me.  The Amerks, Sabres, etc. are all dead to me with regards to support.  It's easy for me to avoid going back to a game and I'm already canceling cable (only had it for MSG) and now I won't have a reason to get it again.

yeah, to hell with the Pegulas. Rich ***** who don't care about anyone. Uncle Terry's aw-shucks demeanor had me for a while, but this is straight evil. You're a billionaire. You could pay for all those peoples salaries out for 2 years right now and not feel a thing. Scumbags, both of them.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, sabills said:

yeah, to hell with the Pegulas. Rich ***** who don't care about anyone. Uncle Terry's aw-shucks demeanor had me for a while, but this is straight evil. You're a billionaire. You could pay for all those peoples salaries out for 2 years right now and not feel a thing. Scumbags, both of them.

It honestly feels like they're doing this on purpose. Like they want to see just how many PR Losses they can take before people actually stop giving them money.

My bet is Bills fans will keep shoveling cash at them and Sabres fans wont cancel season tickets despite all their complaining.

The Pegulas might be scum, but they might also be right that we're scum right along with them.

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This'll never in a million years get asked, but I'd love to know where these folks, and folks like them, are riding out the pandemic.

Would you even believe it if the answer was ... “my home”?

The cynical people would not believe a word coming out of their mouth. So there’s that.

Public opinion of them is gonna matter a lot when they come looking for taxpayer money for a new Bills stadium in a few years. Why they would incur this totally self-inflicted wound over pocket change (for them) is beyond me. There is simply mounting evidence these people are morons.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Don Dokken said:

Public opinion of them is gonna matter a lot when they come looking for taxpayer money for a new Bills stadium in a few years. Why they would incur this totally self-inflicted wound over pocket change (for them) is beyond me. There is simply mounting evidence these people are morons.

I think they think public opinion doesn't matter because Buffalo sports fans are too attached to their teams and will accept pretty much anything to keep them.

tenor.gif?itemid=9438212

What kind of clause prohibits the payout of PTO?  That is beyond all sorts of legalities.  Are they unionized or something?

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I am no longer interested in supporting anything outside of their sport franchises and my Sabres interest will remain almost non existent as long as Botterill is in charge. 

ok bye

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The Pegulas aren't great. They are telling their food service workers they have to reapply for their jobs after this ends. Pegulas just ***** right off.

IMG_20200320_130546.thumb.jpg.2c1135ee433063f1534dfaea5ffbd144.jpg

This is a tactic as old as industry itself. Do you really think that they will be payed the same wage when/if they are rehired? 

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I might have to take The Athletic up on its free offer just to read this. Not feeling up to giving them my cc info though.

I read the article....people have nothing good to say about the Pegula's...not sure what I'm allowed to post from the article

On 3/18/2020 at 8:28 PM, Eleven said:

1.  Why not?  Other franchises are taking their time.  They will take care of it.

2.  Why is it different?  Because they have employees (players) who make millions?  It isn't different. Your local bar isn't paying bartenders  Your local restaurant isn't paying servers.  I don't hate that; that's a small business.  But Wegmans is huge and has cut hours, and those cashiers and deli workers and produce stockers suffer the same way. So does every cashier at Tops.  So does every guy who cleans a room at a Hilton-owned hotel.  So does every person who works at a movie theatre or a bowling alley. I don't really see why the Pegulas are the enemy, other than that you and PA want to make them one.  

Where's your PROPERLY directed outrage?

This is so much BS, and I know you, and I know you know better.

I don't expect my local bar is a couple years away from asking for hundreds of millions of public dollars for a stadium. It's not the same. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I don't expect my local bar is a couple years away from asking for hundreds of millions of public dollars for a stadium. It's not the same. 

So there are hundreds of millions more reasons to field a winning football team rather than a winning hockey team?

14 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I do expect that billionaire employers ask for tax concessions all the time, though.  It is the same.  That's why I differentiated between small local businesses and large billionaire businesses.

Regarding yesterday's announcement, has anyone taken unemployment insurance, and the requirements for someone to get paid from that, into account?  It seems strategic to me.

17 hours ago, Weave said:

I though it was illegal under NYS employment law.  Curious.

Depends on what's in their employment agreement.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I do expect that billionaire employers ask for tax concessions all the time, though.  It is the same.  That's why I differentiated between small local businesses and large billionaire businesses.

Regarding yesterday's announcement, has anyone taken unemployment insurance, and the requirements for someone to get paid from that, into account?  It seems strategic to me.

Depends on what's in their employment agreement.

Aren’t these employees technically being fired? I’ve never heard of PTO being paid to laid-off workers. I would also imagine there are numerous unemployment restrictions guiding their actions. 

42 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Regarding yesterday's announcement, has anyone taken unemployment insurance, and the requirements for someone to get paid from that, into account?  It seems strategic to me

39 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Aren’t these employees technically being fired? I’ve never heard of PTO being paid to laid-off workers. I would also imagine there are numerous unemployment restrictions guiding their actions

I think what Mr. Eleven is alluding to is the payment of the employers NYS unemployment tax(which funds the payments to employees). If they aren't paying employees then they don't owe the tax to the state..... Pinching pennies.....right out of their employees pockets.

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

I think what Mr. Eleven is alluding to is the payment of the employers NYS unemployment tax(which funds the payments to employees). If they aren't paying employees then they don't owe the tax to the state..... Pinching pennies.....right out of their employees pockets.

That’s not quite how it works.

I think @Eleven is implying that termination - while it seems harsh - may place the workers in a better position with NYS DOL’s unemployment division.

And in that regard, NYS DOL invoices employers for the UI benefits paid out.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.