Updated: Pegulas and arena/hospitality workers

StuckinFL

2 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

But what about the janitor at the hospital? The hospital will obviously stay open and rooms need to be disinfected.

You know what's funny?  I worked in healthcare for 11 years.  At one point the cleaning staff had enough of something and put up a stink about something.  I wasn't involved.  The end result?  I had to clean my own desk and take my own trash down the hall to a central collection point.  The janitor wasn't that important to me.  It was annoying, but obviously I can clean my house and take out my own garbage so I could handle the office.  It wasn't that much overhead.

Rooms can be disinfected by people other than janitors.  It's more efficient to have people dedicated to doing so in order to allow the specially trained more time to do their work. Janitors are important in that it allows doctors to save more lives. But, without the doctors, the janitors won't be there because there are no patients.

This is the reality.  I worked in IT for a long time.  I was a cost center and it was drilled into our heads that we were nothing more than an overhead.  We all knew that things would not work without us, but that didn't mean there wasn't some other guy waiting to take my spot or another company they could outsource to if we weren't good enough.  We're all replaceable at some point.

7 hours ago, LTS said:

You know what's funny?  I worked in healthcare for 11 years.  At one point the cleaning staff had enough of something and put up a stink about something.  I wasn't involved.  The end result?  I had to clean my own desk and take my own trash down the hall to a central collection point.  The janitor wasn't that important to me.  It was annoying, but obviously I can clean my house and take out my own garbage so I could handle the office.  It wasn't that much overhead.

Rooms can be disinfected by people other than janitors.  It's more efficient to have people dedicated to doing so in order to allow the specially trained more time to do their work. Janitors are important in that it allows doctors to save more lives. But, without the doctors, the janitors won't be there because there are no patients.

This is the reality.  I worked in IT for a long time.  I was a cost center and it was drilled into our heads that we were nothing more than an overhead.  We all knew that things would not work without us, but that didn't mean there wasn't some other guy waiting to take my spot or another company they could outsource to if we weren't good enough.  We're all replaceable at some point.

Few can be surgeons. Few want to clean hospitals right now. What's the difference? Their talents are both scarce.

Why would someone want to clean a hospital? Maybe, like the surgeon, they like savings lives, which they certainly do if they do their jobs well. We should respect and appreciate both. Firefighters went up those towers; the cleaners go into those rooms and ICU units where a modern plague is residing.

Grateful!

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/15/2020 at 1:44 AM, Hank said:

Can't drive a truck because your on meds? The country is short of qualified welders. You can also make $600/wk doing uber/Lyft. What do want to add to your hypothetical scenario now?

Eleven, not trying to be a dick, but I also missed what you're referring to. Is my current conversation part of what you're referring to?

No

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

30K a year to drive for Uber? Not happening for the vast majority of drivers.

Very little above minimum wage (or at least what it supposed to go up to...around $15/hr.). So, go from janitor to Uber driver.

Does anyone know what the expenses are for an Uber driver? Just asking. As in most jobs, you hear good and bad.

Just now, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Very little above minimum wage (or at least what it supposed to go up to...around $15/hr.). So, go from janitor to Uber driver.

Does anyone know what the expenses are for an Uber driver? Just asking. As in most jobs, you hear good and bad.

Well the IRS says it cost 50-some cents a mile to drive your car. You can start there. You're an independent contractor, so welcome to paying both the employee and employer portions of the payroll tax (SS and MC). There have been studies on this, but who reads studies anymore! Says the guy who hates analytics.

Talked to an Uber driver yesterday. Told me that you can't make a living doing it after he figures in gas, insurance, mileage. Also noted that you might bet 600 a week before you pay all that stuff and on top of that you have to save money for taxes. Also, how many people will be traveling around right now in a rando's car? Bet that goes way down. 

10 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Few can be surgeons. Few want to clean hospitals right now. What's the difference? Their talents are both scarce.

Why would someone want to clean a hospital? Maybe, like the surgeon, they like savings lives, which they certainly do if they do their jobs well. We should respect and appreciate both. Firefighters went up those towers; the cleaners go into those rooms and ICU units where a modern plague is residing.

Grateful!

You've jumped into this conversation at the wrong point. I never said I was not grateful for the cleaning staff. I am stating reality.

Your rebuttal proves the point.  Few CAN be surgeons, few WANT to clean.  However, the natural conclusion from that statement is that "Most surgeons could clean hospitals if they wanted to whereas most cleaning staff could not be surgeons."

Why do people clean the hospitals?  Because they are able to and it pays. The same reason people clean bathrooms in the airport. The same reason people do any of the jobs featured on Dirty Jobs.  There are no shortage of jobs that most people would find far worse than cleaning hospital rooms.  People will still do it because it's needed and it pays.

1.  Be patient.  They've said they're going to find a way to take care of it; let them.

2.  It's not any different than any other large business not paying employees at this point.  I don't hear anyone screaming for Danny Wegman's head.

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

1.  Be patient.  They've said they're going to find a way to take care of it; let them.

2.  It's not any different than any other large business not paying employees at this point.  I don't hear anyone screaming for Danny Wegman's head.

1. Why should anyone be patient with them? Least of all the people who are losing those wages. They've said they'll compensate the workers once games are canceled. Not good enough, imo.

2. Seems different. Dozens of other pro sports franchises are acting as though pro sports are, in fact, different. So, the Pegulas are increasingly out of step with their peer organ-eye-zay-shuns. Also, Colleen runs the show now.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Boston, that is owned by Delaware North and Buffalo are doing the same thing.

There is a lot at work here including a relationship that is forced upon the Pegulas because of a financing arrangement with regards to how arena was built.

i still think they will change their stance but the employees will be taken care of either way. 

On 3/17/2020 at 10:14 AM, LTS said:

You've jumped into this conversation at the wrong point. I never said I was not grateful for the cleaning staff. I am stating reality.

Your rebuttal proves the point.  Few CAN be surgeons, few WANT to clean.  However, the natural conclusion from that statement is that "Most surgeons could clean hospitals if they wanted to whereas most cleaning staff could not be surgeons."

Why do people clean the hospitals?  Because they are able to and it pays. The same reason people clean bathrooms in the airport. The same reason people do any of the jobs featured on Dirty Jobs.  There are no shortage of jobs that most people would find far worse than cleaning hospital rooms.  People will still do it because it's needed and it pays.

Bolded.....not true. I reality a company would never pay a doctor his rate to clean a room and in reality I wouldn't think a doctor would agree to clean a room for janitors rate.

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Wouldn't these people maybe qualify for unemployment at least? A guy in my apartment building said he is laid off indefinitely and was told to go to unemployment.

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

1. Why should anyone be patient with them? Least of all the people who are losing those wages. They've said they'll compensate the workers once games are canceled. Not good enough, imo.

2. Seems different. Dozens of other pro sports franchises are acting as though pro sports are, in fact, different. So, the Pegulas are increasingly out of step with their peer organ-eye-zay-shuns. Also, Colleen runs the show now.

1.  Why not?  Other franchises are taking their time.  They will take care of it.

2.  Why is it different?  Because they have employees (players) who make millions?  It isn't different. Your local bar isn't paying bartenders  Your local restaurant isn't paying servers.  I don't hate that; that's a small business.  But Wegmans is huge and has cut hours, and those cashiers and deli workers and produce stockers suffer the same way. So does every cashier at Tops.  So does every guy who cleans a room at a Hilton-owned hotel.  So does every person who works at a movie theatre or a bowling alley. I don't really see why the Pegulas are the enemy, other than that you and PA want to make them one.  

Where's your PROPERLY directed outrage?

This is so much BS, and I know you, and I know you know better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

^
I’m just comparing apples to apples. The Jets franchise has most recently reversed course and actually apologized for previously waiting on cancellations. Why haven’t the Pegulas done the same? I’m asking.

And I’m not outraged. Just chewing the fat; hating on some rich people.

17 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Bolded.....not true. I reality a company would never pay a doctor his rate to clean a room and in reality I wouldn't think a doctor would agree to clean a room for janitors rate.

No, they would pay the doctor to be a doctor who also had to clean the room.  Most likely however, they would have folded by then.

In addition, a doctor would likely find some other job before agreeing to clean a room at a janitors rate, but they are certainly capable of doing the janitors job.

• nfreeman changed the title to Updated: Pegulas and arena/hospitality workers
7 minutes ago, LTS said:

Yeah. They should take a beating for this.  I'm no longer interested in supporting them or their businesses.

I am no longer interested in supporting anything outside of their sport franchises and my Sabres interest will remain almost non existent as long as Botterill is in charge. 

Just like the initial pissed off reaction of them not paying anyone anything while this is going on, was quickly debunked. I’ll wait to see the response from the Pegulas to see if this is in fact something they said and something they are in fact doing. It could be a whole lot of nothing. Or it could all be true. In which case I’ll react to it accordingly. It certainly would be bad PR if this ends up being true. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.