Updated: Pegulas and arena/hospitality workers

StuckinFL

45 minutes ago, Neo said:

Top of my head for magnitude, not accuracy ..

300 people earning $15/hr for 12 hrs/week = $54 thousand per week, or $200 thousand per month.  Can I say $400 thousand through the balance of 2020?

Dear Terry and Jerry:   My name is Neo.  Thank you for a lifetime of joy.   Now, on to the reason I’m writing ...

I'll eat crow if I have to, but these folks, the vast majority of them anyway, aren't making $15 an hour. I'd also be surprised if there are 300 arena workers.

Also — lifetime of joy? Hoo boy, you can lay it on thick sometimes. (I recognize it, because it is a skill I also possess.)

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Aren’t the games merely postponed for now? I bet they’re thinking that the arena workers will eventually get paid when they do actually play the games.

I think we should hold of condemning anyone just yet.

What we have here is a failure of imagination. When really poor people stop getting money, for most of them it's an instant crisis. It's really only an advance of money that's being proposed, not a handout. They'll do the work later.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Waiting for the NHL to cancel games could be weeks or months.

Weak.

It’s not going to be more then two weeks. Where does it stop? Do they pay all the 716 that will be out of work when restaurants shut down? How about the PSE employees? 
A Chicago writer, with more access to actual numbers, estimated Chicago owners would be on the hook for over $5 million for arena employees alone.

What if they pay them now, games are rescheduled and then the employees choose not to come back to work?  
What if offering assistance disqualifies the employee from government assistance? 

Like I said, we are likely looking at a decision that is two or three weeks away. AT and T has already told people they don’t have to pay their phone bill, eating at home will save most people money.

There are better uses if our energy then telling other people what they should do during this time

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'll eat crow if I have to, but these folks, the vast majority of them anyway, aren't making $15 an hour. I'd also be surprised if there are 300 arena workers.

Also — lifetime of joy? Hoo boy, you can lay it on thick sometimes. (I recognize it, because it is a skill I also possess.)

My math is certainly fuzzy.  If my salary and employee number are both too high, the ask in my “reason for writing” would be even more modest.  I think you’re onto something.   I’m GRATEFUL, you big, beautiful, huggable lug!

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

What we have here is a failure of imagination. When really poor people stop getting money, for most of them it's an instant crisis. It's really only an advance of money that's being proposed, not a handout. They'll do the work later.

Failure of Imagination -  Astronaut Frank Borman to Congress addressing the Apollo 1 fire.  I was reminded of this by ... reverent and wistful pause ... Peggy Noonan in the Wall Street Journal yesterday.  She made exactly your point while writing about our current situation.  You’d love her.   Just don’t let me find out your corresponding with her, buddy boy.

12 minutes ago, tom webster said:

It’s not going to be more then two weeks. Where does it stop? Do they pay all the 716 that will be out of work when restaurants shut down? How about the PSE employees? 
A Chicago writer, with more access to actual numbers, estimated Chicago owners would be on the hook for over $5 million for arena employees alone.

What if they pay them now, games are rescheduled and then the employees choose not to come back to work?  
What if offering assistance disqualifies the employee from government assistance? 

Like I said, we are likely looking at a decision that is two or three weeks away. AT and T has already told people they don’t have to pay their phone bill, eating at home will save most people money.

There are better uses if our energy then telling other people what they should do during this time

I grossly lowballed in another thread.  Inadvertent, but inaccurate still.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Failure of Imagination -  Astronaut Frank Borman to Congress addressing the Apollo 1 fire.  I was reminded of this by ... reverent and wistful pause ... Peggy Noonan in the Wall Street Journal yesterday.  She made exactly your point while writing about our current situation.  You’d love her.   Just don’t let me find out your corresponding with her, buddy boy.

Why do you think the phrase was top of mind? I read her first. Her sinewy verbs and glistening gerunds are mine, pal.

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

Isn't there a union involved in this?

Doesn't the union hold some responsibility to make sure it's members are taken care of by the union itself?

I don’t think the workers at the arenas are unionized. Ticket sellers have a union, ushers are in with the ticket takers union, stage hands union for lighting. That’s how it is at BCA. Concessions, janitors, store employees and probably most of the box office staff, etc are not. I’m not sure what Terry does in Buffalo. 
 The thing with unions though, they aren’t “The Union” as in some indoctrinating force.........Unions are the men and women who are members and pool their resources for the collective good. They’re people who value their labor and are demanding a bigger piece of the pie, a more equitable piece. Most unions do have some sort of hardship assistance. When you’re put in charge of your own fate and bargain in numbers for your conditions,  you tend to make intelligent choices like that. Well, most of the time.

Just now, Zamboni said:

It’s the age of forums, Twitter, and highly opinionated “know-it-alls”. Sigh ...

And a predisposition to view the Pegulas as evil.

Does anyone know if NYS is paying its hourly employees who stay home?  Or Facebook?  Or any other employer?  No, but let's attack Tim and Kerry.

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Honestly, if you are expecting to make ends meet by relying on part time jobs like this, you probably should be re-evaluating your life choices during this time and making better ones moving forward. Just saying. It's not like they won't be getting paid for the games when the season resumes.  In effect, these people are expecting to be paid twice?  Must be a nice gig if you can get it.  

Wish my boss would pay me twice for pushing up code every day...

Not everyone has the same opportunities or choices available to them.  

• Like (+1) 1

You know what?  There are people who need additional help in this world, they can't always do it by themselves.

And you know what? There are people who take advantage of programs put in place to help those people.

And you know what else? There are people who make really bad decisions and increase their odds of ending up in bad situations.

Society could be about helping each other out but at some point there will be a bit of scrutiny paid to the guy who seems to always be taking and never giving.  It used to be that you knew everyone was trying to do their fair share but these days a lot of people make really bad decisions and because of that people often want to know that their money is going to be put to good use. 

Of course we're edging into more political discussions at this point.  I'd should focus on what PSE could and will do for their employees.  I'm still waiting to see.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

As stated in other thread, these numbers are way low.

All concession workers and maybe others I’m not aware of ... are Delaware North employees. Not PSE employees. Will the evil DN corp. pay their employees while the arena is shut down?

Can anyone find that info?

I wanna know! 

Edited by Zamboni

14 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

All concession workers and maybe others I’m not aware of ... are Delaware North employees. Not PSE employees. Will the evil DN corp. pay their employees while the arena is shut down?

Can anyone find that info?

I wanna know! 

This is a pretty salient point. Most of what “PA” and others refer to as “poor” employees actually work for Delaware North.  The game day staff that actually work for the team are in what are pretty high demand part time positions.

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Maybe its time they do something for themselves for a change.  Taking this time to properly assess their situation and then take an ACTIVE role in changing it for themselves like enrolling in colleges using government grants to get a degree that will pay them something more than part time minimum wage would be a good start...

Is it really humanity, or is it like giving out participation trophies to avoid having the real, hard, truthful conversations nobody wants to have?

You should check out the Politics, Poll, and Pundits forum at TwoBillsDrive. You'd love it there. 

Terry, dig another frickin' well and pay your folks.  You bought the team (thank you, but with that purchase comes responsibility).  Look at the team.  Look at the fan base.  Do some good PR for a change.  How tone deaf can you get??

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.