Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tondas

OT - Classic Rock All Star Band

Recommended Posts

Harvey and Corky owned the scene, man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neo said:

I wonder if we’re talking about the same thing.  I saw The Police at UB’s Main Street campus in the old gymnasium.  The gym had that old school, high school style, layout with an elevated wooden stage at one end.  I had my arms crossed, tilted upward, with my upper arms resting on the stage lip.  Sting and the band were a few feet away.  My memory has this happening Nov Dec of 1980 ... perhaps a tour 18 months after your sighting.  I was hooked.

Later that school year, same “seat”, and The Stray Cats.  What a magical time.

No,

Stage One was a bar on Main near Transit.

i was at both concerts you mentioned at Clark Hall. Also, remember seeing Southside Johnny and the Asbury Park Jukes at Springfest on North campus in either 80 or 81. 

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Neo said:

88 Highgate Ave ...  

Winspear Ave.  Can't even remember the exact address.  Our paths must have crossed.  Not sure if this is urban legend, but I was told the round water tank looking object at the South Campus housed a nuclear reactor.  You ever hear that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tondas said:

Winspear Ave.  Can't even remember the exact address.  Our paths must have crossed.  Not sure if this is urban legend, but I was told the round water tank looking object at the South Campus housed a nuclear reactor.  You ever hear that?

THAT, I never heard.

North Main Liquor.   Corner of Main and Winspear ...  “How can I help you?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Neo said:

THAT, I never heard.

North Main Liquor.   Corner of Main and Winspear ...  “How can I help you?”

Just found this on Google.

image.thumb.png.772204100b0a42e133f746216b369b46.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tom webster said:

No,

Stage One was a bar on Main near Transit.

i was at both concerts you mentioned at Clark Hall. Also, remember seeing Southside Johnny and the Asbury Park Jukes at Springfest on North campus in either 80 or 81. 

Do I correctly recall that the first time I saw UB40 was on campus at UB around 78/79?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, mphs mike said:

Do I correctly recall that the first time I saw UB40 was on campus at UB around 78/79?

I can’t say.  Perhaps one of the other cool kids, er early 80s UBers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mphs mike said:

Do I correctly recall that the first time I saw UB40 was on campus at UB around 78/79?

That was my first year there but I don’t recall them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember watching Talas.  Billy Sheehan playing what seemed to be 3 bass guitars simultaneously.  Generational talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have to give a shout out to Karen Carpenter for vocals and drums.  Many great women vocalists in that era: Pat Benetar, Blondie, Cyndi Lauper, Mama Cass, Ann Wilson,  Stevie Nicks, Grace Slick.  But I thought Karen Carpenter had the best voice of them all.

Edited by Tondas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tondas said:

I also have to give a shout out to Karen Carpenter for vocals and drums.  Many great women vocalists in that era: Pat Benetar, Blondie, Cyndi Lauper, Mama Cass, Ann Wilson,  Stevie Nicks, Grace Slick.  But I thought Karen Carpenter had the best voice of them all.

I was going to mention Ann Wilson and Stevie Nicks. I also have a soft spot for Janis Joplin but an entirely different sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2020 at 5:56 PM, tom webster said:

No,

Stage One was a bar on Main near Transit.

i was at both concerts you mentioned at Clark Hall. Also, remember seeing Southside Johnny and the Asbury Park Jukes at Springfest on North campus in either 80 or 81. 

Do I correctly recall that the first time I saw UB40 was on campus at UB around 78/79?

I’ll always consider Linda Ronstadt the greatest female vocalist.

i’ve had a crush on her for about 45 years now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tom webster said:

I was going to mention Ann Wilson and Stevie Nicks. I also have a soft spot for Janis Joplin but an entirely different sound.

Janis had the greatest FU attitude when she sang.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends
So Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...