OT - Classic Rock All Star Band

Tondas

1 hour ago, Neo said:

I wonder if we’re talking about the same thing.  I saw The Police at UB’s Main Street campus in the old gymnasium.  The gym had that old school, high school style, layout with an elevated wooden stage at one end.  I had my arms crossed, tilted upward, with my upper arms resting on the stage lip.  Sting and the band were a few feet away.  My memory has this happening Nov Dec of 1980 ... perhaps a tour 18 months after your sighting.  I was hooked.

Later that school year, same “seat”, and The Stray Cats.  What a magical time.

No,

Stage One was a bar on Main near Transit.

i was at both concerts you mentioned at Clark Hall. Also, remember seeing Southside Johnny and the Asbury Park Jukes at Springfest on North campus in either 80 or 81. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Neo said:

88 Highgate Ave ...  

Winspear Ave.  Can't even remember the exact address.  Our paths must have crossed.  Not sure if this is urban legend, but I was told the round water tank looking object at the South Campus housed a nuclear reactor.  You ever hear that?

1 minute ago, Tondas said:

Winspear Ave.  Can't even remember the exact address.  Our paths must have crossed.  Not sure if this is urban legend, but I was told the round water tank looking object at the South Campus housed a nuclear reactor.  You ever hear that?

THAT, I never heard.

North Main Liquor.   Corner of Main and Winspear ...  “How can I help you?”

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

No,

i was at both concerts you mentioned at Clark Hall. Also, remember seeing Southside Johnny and the Asbury Park Jukes at Springfest on North campus in either 80 or 81. 

Do I correctly recall that the first time I saw UB40 was on campus at UB around 78/79?

I also have to give a shout out to Karen Carpenter for vocals and drums.  Many great women vocalists in that era: Pat Benetar, Blondie, Cyndi Lauper, Mama Cass, Ann Wilson,  Stevie Nicks, Grace Slick.  But I thought Karen Carpenter had the best voice of them all.

Edited by Tondas

1 hour ago, Tondas said:

I also have to give a shout out to Karen Carpenter for vocals and drums.  Many great women vocalists in that era: Pat Benetar, Blondie, Cyndi Lauper, Mama Cass, Ann Wilson,  Stevie Nicks, Grace Slick.  But I thought Karen Carpenter had the best voice of them all.

I was going to mention Ann Wilson and Stevie Nicks. I also have a soft spot for Janis Joplin but an entirely different sound.

On 3/17/2020 at 5:56 PM, tom webster said:

No,

Do I correctly recall that the first time I saw UB40 was on campus at UB around 78/79?

I’ll always consider Linda Ronstadt the greatest female vocalist.

i’ve had a crush on her for about 45 years now

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

I was going to mention Ann Wilson and Stevie Nicks. I also have a soft spot for Janis Joplin but an entirely different sound.

Janis had the greatest FU attitude when she sang.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends
So Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.