OT - Classic Rock All Star Band

Tondas

2 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

Jimmy Page as Rhythm Guitarist?  Surely you jest.  In my book he’s alone as the top Lead Guitarist..

No jest.  I have seen Terry Kath live. Incredible and awe inspiring. .  It's like he invented the guitar.   He rarely looks at it..  It's like he was born with a guitar in his hand.   If you're  not exhausted and satisfied after his solo. I don't know how.

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tondas said:

No jest.  I have seen Terry Kath live. Incredible and awe inspiring. .  It's like he invented the guitar.   He rarely looks at it..  It's like he was born with a guitar in his hand.   If you're  not exhausted and satisfied after his solo. I don't know how.

I watch this 3 or 4 times a month. Some great songs in that concert. 

Guitars...Jimi, Kath and Knopfler.

Vocals...Rodgers and Plant

Bass...McCartney

Drums...Moon

Keys...Preston

Producer...Jack Douglas

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Vocals:  Mama Cass, Meat Loaf

Guitar:  Stevie Ray Vaughan

Bass:  Geddy Lee

Keyboards:  Billy Joel

Drums:  John Bonham

Mama Cass, Meat Loaf sounds like a recipe.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

My list of “Best Not Yet Mentioned”

Guitar, Vocals - Bruce Springsteen 

Bass Guitar - John Entwistle

I was torn and was going to say Entwistle but since I already picked Moon, well, I didn't want to just rebuild the Who. 

Another part of me also wanted to be a smartass and just say Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band for the whole thing and call it at that.

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I was torn and was going to say Entwistle but since I already picked Moon, well, I didn't want to just rebuild the Who. 

Another part of me also wanted to be a smartass and just say Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band for the whole thing and call it at that.

I have the same feelings about Rush, ELP, The Who, CSNY (as pointed out, already a supergroup), The Beatles, and The Allman Brothers Band. Would I really substitute anyone else into one of those slots? 

This thread is quite revealing. Most of the posters are showing their age - and expertise.

I have to be in the right mood to get into Classic Rock, or any other musical genre for that matter.

Having said that, I couldn't believe it when I heard that Caress of Steel nearly killed Rush as a band.

On 3/14/2020 at 4:51 PM, tom webster said:

How is Paul Rodgers or Roy Orbison not mentioned.

Truth is, if he wanted to, Prince could have been the best on all instruments.

But, since I decided to post, I will modify the question with those I’ve seen.

Justin Hayward

Eric Clapton

Joe Strummer

Billy Sheehan

Carl Palmer

Producer Todd Rundgren

Love the Billy Sheehan vote!

Takes me back to the days of hanging out at Stage One before Harvey was infamous

Can this new band be one of those overstocked acts with two drummers, four guitarists, a percussionist, some keyboard players, a keytar synth player, a backing vocal section, and horn section and string quartet on occasional numbers? And does this band write its own material?

Edited by DarthEbriate

3 hours ago, mphs mike said:

Takes me back to the days of hanging out at Stage One before Harvey was infamous

Yeah, went to school with ole Harv. Can’t tell people that much anymore.

Better story about Stage One, I ran in their one night to grab some Mighty’s and about 50 people were in their listening to some new band doing maybe their tenth Anerican show. I think their lead singer went by Sting......

5 hours ago, mphs mike said:

It was only last year that I learned that the Harvey in Harvey and Corky Productions was Weinstein.  As a proud UB alumni, it pissed me off.

29 minutes ago, Tondas said:

It was only last year that I learned that the Harvey in Harvey and Corky Productions was Weinstein.  As a proud UB alumni, it pissed me off.

Yep, he hooked me up with tickets a couple times but usually he made me wait in line like everyone else. 

Corky has a good Stage One story as well. His wife was there playing pong with Bono the night John Lennon was killed.

13 hours ago, Tondas said:

Same here. I had no idea that I had met "the Harvey Weinstein" until it came out that he got his start as 1/2 of "Harvey & Corky Productions"   

15 hours ago, tom webster said:

Yeah, went to school with ole Harv. Can’t tell people that much anymore.

Better story about Stage One, I ran in their one night to grab some Mighty’s and about 50 people were in their listening to some new band doing maybe their tenth Anerican show. I think their lead singer went by Sting......

I was one of those 50 or so. Spring 1979, a couple months before HS graduation.

8 hours ago, mphs mike said:

I was one of those 50 or so. Spring 1979, a couple months before HS graduation.

I wonder if we’re talking about the same thing.  I saw The Police at UB’s Main Street campus in the old gymnasium.  The gym had that old school, high school style, layout with an elevated wooden stage at one end.  I had my arms crossed, tilted upward, with my upper arms resting on the stage lip.  Sting and the band were a few feet away.  My memory has this happening Nov Dec of 1980 ... perhaps a tour 18 months after your sighting.  I was hooked.

Later that school year, same “seat”, and The Stray Cats.  What a magical time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.