OT - Have it on decent authority that NYS will be making an announcement today that all NYS schools will be closing...

matter2003

Have a co-worker that knows someone at a governmental level who tipped him off that there will be an announcement coming today after school that all NYS schools will be closing until further notice for a minimum of 2 weeks...

Told him it had been decided last night but will not be announced until after classes today...

Take it for what it is worth...just passing along what I heard

• Like (+1) 2

The Monroe County Superintendents basically said they are monitoring.  But prepare for child care needs should things change.

I'm expecting the online schooling approach to be taken up.  It's super easy to do and in our school at least all kinds have computers and the school has the tools to deliver online video presentations.

5 minutes ago, #freejame said:

If I had a grade school age child and they were being asked to do schoolwork from home I would immediately refuse. There’s murmurs about running the school year through the summer; which I would also refuse.

Every state and every situation is different, but when hurricane Katrina hit the gulf coast in 2005, schools were closed for 6 weeks or so.  Days were not made up.  Schools still finished on the original calendar.   

So there may be hope school will not have to be made up.  At least if a state emergency is called.  

10 minutes ago, GoPre said:

Every state and every situation is different, but when hurricane Katrina hit the gulf coast in 2005, schools were closed for 6 weeks or so.  Days were not made up.  Schools still finished on the original calendar.   

So there may be hope school will not have to be made up.  At least if a state emergency is called.  

A National Emergency is getting ready to be called as of a 3PM Press Conference by President Trump to invoke the Stafford Act...

On a side note...if he really is trying to turn the US into a dictatorship, as some have speculated,  now would be the time he would strike...

Edited by matter2003
  • Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, #freejame said:

If I had a grade school age child and they were being asked to do schoolwork from home I would immediately refuse. There’s murmurs about running the school year through the summer; which I would also refuse.

Not much into education, huh?

LOL

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Have a co-worker that knows someone at a governmental level who tipped him off that there will be an announcement coming today after school that all NYS schools will be closing until further notice for a minimum of 2 weeks...

Told him it had been decided last night but will not be announced until after classes today...

Heard the same.

41 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Why thru the summer... instant daycare and saves on summer camp expenditures...?

14 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Why?  Don't kids normally do that?

Yes, and there’s plenty of research showing it has detrimental impacts on development. Some homework is fine, sure. But state mandated independent or online learning for a 7 year old is pretty outlandish to me. 

10 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Not much into education, huh?

LOL

Most certainly not in its current form. Our education system and processes are a joke. I encourage everyone to read Leaving to Learn, as well as Creative Schools. If anyone wants something heavier, Market Education by Andrew Coulson goes into a little bit, as does Free to Choose by Milton Friedman. Coulson also has a documentary called School, Inc. 

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

On a side note...if he really is trying to turn the US into a dictatorship, as some have speculated,  now would be the time he would strike...

Again:  please do not post this BS here.  Take it to the politics club.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Sounds like he called an audible and punted to the locals. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Sounds like he called an audible and punted to the locals. 

https://buffalonews.com/2020/03/13/schools-are-still-open-but-for-how-long/

That answer had not come as of this afternoon, but Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced that New York will waive a requirement that schools hold classes 180 days per year as a growing number of districts are moving to shut down schools to try to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Relaxing the 180-day school session requirement comes as some states have closed schools statewide. Cuomo said that will cause disruption for parents and children.

"The state at this point, with these numbers, does not believe we need to close schools statewide,'' he said. Schools are free to close if they choose because of any health emergency.

"I have no problem setting a statewide standard,'' Cuomo said if the situation worsens statewide.

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

https://buffalonews.com/2020/03/13/schools-are-still-open-but-for-how-long/

That answer had not come as of this afternoon, but Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced that New York will waive a requirement that schools hold classes 180 days per year as a growing number of districts are moving to shut down schools to try to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Relaxing the 180-day school session requirement comes as some states have closed schools statewide. Cuomo said that will cause disruption for parents and children.

"The state at this point, with these numbers, does not believe we need to close schools statewide,'' he said. Schools are free to close if they choose because of any health emergency.

"I have no problem setting a statewide standard,'' Cuomo said if the situation worsens statewide.

Somewhere, Rumore is salivating.

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

He’s got it backwards.

You close the schools to mitigate worsening numbers; you don’t close the schools in the face of worsening numbers.

By the time he closes them, it will be too late to do any good.

That I agree with...what happens in districts if parents start refusing to let their kids go to school?  Are they going to fail them? If enough parents refuse it will force their hands.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Yes, and there’s plenty of research showing it has detrimental impacts on development. Some homework is fine, sure. But state mandated independent or online learning for a 7 year old is pretty outlandish to me. 

Most certainly not in its current form. Our education system and processes are a joke. I encourage everyone to read Leaving to Learn, as well as Creative Schools. If anyone wants something heavier, Market Education by Andrew Coulson goes into a little bit, as does Free to Choose by Milton Friedman. Coulson also has a documentary called School, Inc. 

I know of the studies you're talking about, but I'm pretty that's predicated on the students also being a full day of class. It's not homework or independent learning that negative, it's that kids are expected to do it after spending an entire day in school. (I'm happy to be proven wrong though)

The good thing about all this is that kids are largely safe from this virus. With a mortality rate of 0.2% from 10-19 meaning theyre 99.8% likely not to be deathly ill from its effects.

However they can still carry the virus & pass it to others, which is why closing the schools for a short time is a good idea.

If i personally were a parent, I'd keep my kids home to play it on the safe side regardless of what NYS does. I'm sure other parents are doing the same, (even though it poses some difficulties with sitting in some cases). But it does seem like a State-wide closing will be announced at any day or moment.

Cuomo is getting a lot of pressure to do it, so knowing him he will.

1 minute ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Just a precautionary reminder: make sure your computer's camera is shut off or at least covered. There are a lot of predators out there even in schools.

I lived on another state and s near by school district gave out computer's to students and someone was watching them through the cameras.

Be aware.

I'd rather have it covered than shut it off via software if I'm worried about privacy.  Black electrical tape should do the trick.

• Like (+1) 1

PA Gov Wolf has closed all schools for 10 business days. Not surprised, we've been kinda prepared to have RosePie home for a couple weeks. We're lucky; MrsPie doesn't work and I'm able to be full-time telecommuter, so this isn't bad for us at all. In other circumstances, I'd take some time off and go somewhere.

here in Ontario (Canada) our teachers have been doing one day strikes almost every week as they battle for more money and now they announced our schools are al closing for two full weeks AFTER next week's March break...thus they will be off minimum THREE weeks! There has been no known cases of COVID 20 (I call it "20" as this is 2020 not 2019) in any school but better be safe then sorry I guess...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.