Jump to content
WildCard

NHL Season Officially Suspended - COVID-19

Recommended Posts

It's time, Gary.  Whether the hysteria is correct or not isn't even the question anymore.  We know there isn't going to be a season, so just officially kill our hopes of it--oh, and do an unweighed lottery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Eleven said:

It's time, Gary.  Whether the hysteria is correct or not isn't even the question anymore.  We know there isn't going to be a season, so just officially kill our hopes of it--oh, and do an unweighed lottery.

Sure, give them an opportunity to fix it and hand the top pick to Boston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, shrader said:

Sure, give them an opportunity to fix it and hand the top pick to Boston.

Right?

But there's no way the league would screw over Detroit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they would just do playoffs if it ever starts up again, but I'm afraid with the late measures taken season is over  yes.

I'm counting since first reported case that everyday they waited to do a lockdown, I'm adding an extra 3 days of lockdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Right?

But there's no way the league would screw over Detroit.

But it's easy enough to "screw them over" already without an unweighted lottery.  It's what, around 80% that someone else gets it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canadiens temporarily lay off 60 percent of personnel due to COVID-19

They have created a 6 Million Dollar Relief Fund to assist those laid off 

Edited by Brawndo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I flipped over to the NHL network last night during a random show talking about the Islander Cup teams.  I'm amazed that these stations can't just turn their ticker off at this point.  There's really no need to scroll the wild card standings right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Athletic 

 

According to an NHL source, at least one team has submitted a lottery proposal that would include a tournament in which lottery teams play for the first-overall pick. At its face, the idea sounds radical but structured the right way this has the potential to be a real asset for the league.

Without knowing the exact details of the proposal, there would have to be some assurances for the teams at the bottom of the standings that their odds of winning a lottery tournament resemble their odds of winning the lottery drawing now. That would mean home games for Ottawa and Detroit, with a fairly easy path to the championship. And likewise, a bubble team would have to go on an all-time run of games to win the lottery.

This proposal would accomplish a couple of things. It would get all players back playing, rather than just playoff teams, which would help level the playing field for next season in terms of rest and time off between games.

It would also engage fans of both playoff teams and lottery teams alike if games return. Imagine for a moment a lottery tournament final between the Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks for the rights to draft Alexis Lafreniere. Or a final between the Senators and Montreal Canadiens for the same thing. The television ratings in those markets would be off the charts.

It would also give the NHL and NHLPA another property to sell to a network outside its current television deal. In the U.S., a tournament like this on ESPN in a summer in which there is less competition for the interest of sports fans would likely be very successful. If it works, the NHL might have something to build on moving forward. If it doesn’t? Never do it again.

“Radical times call for radical measures,” said one NHL source.

It’s fun to imagine. Even if it’s hard to imagine it actually happening. But right now, these are the kind of ideas being thrown around. People have the time and motivation for creativity. At this point, nothing should be off the table. From playoff format to lottery ideas.

“The whole thing is the wild, wild West, man,” concluded an executive.

 

Edited by Brawndo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These unusual ideas sound fantastic to me as a fan, and I'd love to see a lottery tournament.

But it's not going to happen. 

The Euro Cup and Olympics are pushed back to next year and those are late summer events.

F1 racing has eliminated everything off the calendar until at least June and those races aren't going to happen either.

I see the KHL just killed the remainder of their playoff season.

I guess the NHL can move along in limbo for a while yet, but they're going to have to terminate the season at some point too.

I'd be shocked if we see any more games this year, even in empty arenas. 

It's just the wrong look right now and it is highly unlikely to happen.

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

From the Athletic 

 

According to an NHL source, at least one team has submitted a lottery proposal that would include a tournament in which lottery teams play for the first-overall pick. At its face, the idea sounds radical but structured the right way this has the potential to be a real asset for the league.

Without knowing the exact details of the proposal, there would have to be some assurances for the teams at the bottom of the standings that their odds of winning a lottery tournament resemble their odds of winning the lottery drawing now. That would mean home games for Ottawa and Detroit, with a fairly easy path to the championship. And likewise, a bubble team would have to go on an all-time run of games to win the lottery.

This proposal would accomplish a couple of things. It would get all players back playing, rather than just playoff teams, which would help level the playing field for next season in terms of rest and time off between games.

It would also engage fans of both playoff teams and lottery teams alike if games return. Imagine for a moment a lottery tournament final between the Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks for the rights to draft Alexis Lafreniere. Or a final between the Senators and Montreal Canadiens for the same thing. The television ratings in those markets would be off the charts.

It would also give the NHL and NHLPA another property to sell to a network outside its current television deal. In the U.S., a tournament like this on ESPN in a summer in which there is less competition for the interest of sports fans would likely be very successful. If it works, the NHL might have something to build on moving forward. If it doesn’t? Never do it again.

“Radical times call for radical measures,” said one NHL source.

It’s fun to imagine. Even if it’s hard to imagine it actually happening. But right now, these are the kind of ideas being thrown around. People have the time and motivation for creativity. At this point, nothing should be off the table. From playoff format to lottery ideas.

“The whole thing is the wild, wild West, man,” concluded an executive.

 

If the league makes any change that lowers Detroit's chance of winning, I'll have to rethink my whole life.  Again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 12:53 PM, Brawndo said:

 

I can't imagine how this would work.  In a system that rewards the crappiest team the best chance to win, how do you run a tournament where those teams are expected to beat the better teams for a chance at what should go to the worst team?

Does the better team start with a 2 goal deficit or something?  🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LTS said:

I can't imagine how this would work.  In a system that rewards the crappiest team the best chance to win, how do you run a tournament where those teams are expected to beat the better teams for a chance at what should go to the worst team?

Does the better team start with a 2 goal deficit or something?  🙂

And if I'm a team right on the playoff bubble, I'd lobby as hard as I can to let the other bubble team in instead.

I also wonder how much the players would care about this.  Sure, a Jack Eichel may be motivated to get that 1st pick onto his team, but do the pending UFAs care one bit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 12:53 PM, Brawndo said:

 

I can not imagine them adding MORE games by having a tournament like this.  We will be luck if the actual playoff teams are able have some sort of shortened tournament to get a Cup winner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...