NHL Season Officially Suspended - COVID-19

WildCard

46 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Can anyone catch me up on why the Pegulas are getting excoriated on Twitter for what they’re doing/not doing with paying arena workers, etc.?

They're paying any number of highly paid coaches, GMs, presidents, players, staffers to not work for them... would it kill them to keep paychecks going to low-paid arena workers for a few weeks? Good PR, for one thing, which has some eventual monetary value to them.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

They're paying any number of highly paid coaches, GMs, presidents, players, staffers to not work for them... would it kill them to keep paychecks going to low-paid arena workers for a few weeks? Good PR, for one thing, which has some eventual monetary value to them.

Salaried versus hourly. Those people aren’t working. I see no reason to pay them. This is exactly why the hysteria is bad. 

3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Salaried versus hourly. Those people aren’t working. I see no reason to pay them. This is exactly why the hysteria is bad. 

I was talking about Housley, Ehrhoff and the like. But, yes, why should RaKru get a check for doing nothing. It's about doing what's right. These arena workers are going to be suffering almost immediately from loss of income. It was directly caused by the pandemic. Someone, whether it's NY, the federal government or the employer should make them whole. We sure act "fast and furious" to bail out the fat cats.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Why is the NHL so gung-ho to get back into training mode as early as next week? If I'm the Erie County Executive, I tell the Sabres no. We all know how disease spreads through sports teams. But let's let young guys who probably aren't taking this outbreak that seriously, because they know they'll be fine, breath heavily on each other, share water bottles, cram into the lockerroom together, then go back out into the community.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, #freejame said:

you're a very compassionate person......NBA players and some owners are putting money together to pay these types of workers...it's the right thing for billionaires to do

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I was talking about Housley, Ehrhoff and the like. But, yes, why should RaKru get a check for doing nothing. It's about doing what's right. These arena workers are going to be suffering almost immediately from loss of income. It was directly caused by the pandemic. Someone, whether it's NY, the federal government or the employer should make them whole. We sure act "fast and furious" to bail out the fat cats.

Is Pegula the only NHL/NBA owner not taking care of hourly arena workers? Are the workers even employed by Pegula? Not sure, but I'm guessing no. I read that other high profile athletes are kicking in to help out arena workers, are Jack and Jeff doing their part? No? Where's the outrage?

Edited by Hank

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

you're a very compassionate person......NBA players and some owners are putting money together to pay these types of workers...it's the right thing for billionaires to do

Not paying hourly employees to stay home and not earn their hourly wage equals lack of compassion? I disagree. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Hank said:

Not paying hourly employees to stay home and not earn their hourly wage equals lack of compassion? I disagree. 

You can but considering the circumstances, yes it is a lack of compassion from the billionaire owners. This country used to be about helping the less fortunate and those in need in times of crisis...apparently not anymore

Edited by nucci
  • Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Hank said:

Is Pegula the only NHL/NBA owner not taking care of hourly arena workers? Are the workers even employed by Pegula? Not sure, but I'm guessing no. I read that other high profile athletes are kicking in to help out arena workers, are Jack and Jeff doing their part? No? Where's the outrage?

The county owns the building and the Pegulas' company operates it.

I am not one who believes class envy need be invoked, nor villains manufactured, in order to suggest society should consider the most vulnerable when unusual circumstances arise.   Good people have done this since Adam, Eve, or Primordial Soup.  They helped before they learned they were bad people because they had the resources to help.  They will help, still.  I believe this is part of the human experience.  There’s a legitimate role for government assistance here, too.  I draw this conclusion less often than others.  Pandemics are unforeseen events and not the consequence of choices, singular and collective, immediate and over time.

Staying away from politics (I’ve been social distancing myself from that oily soup for some time), I am interested in what owners and players choose to do.  We’re on a sports blog, here.   The pockets are deeper.  I wonder what garden centers, mom and pop restaurants, retail stores and the like are doing.  My email inbox is filling.  Theaters, concert halls, and museums are telling me that they’re cancelling exhibits, events, and seasons.  Life’s good; I’m a season ticket holder or member,   Life’s better; most of the emails articulate a plan for employees.  Most.  I am interested in stories about people and business stepping up and stepping in.

I work for a big firm.  We’re keeping approximately half of our people home beginning Monday.  Our circumstances are different.   We’ll pay, but our teammates can work while home.  Laptops, WebEx, Cell phones, etc.  Mrs. Neo, on the other hand, is a schoolteacher.  She’s just learning the plan for her district.  She’ll be paid, regardless of schedule.   I’ve asked her what happens to the janitorial staff when closings come.   She doesn’t know.

The unforeseen is here.   I need no villains, tribalism or lectures.   I will do what I can, help where I can, and applaud any representative who sees it this way.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

@Neo I would imagine if Mrs. Neo works for a public school that the janitors are employed by the city and will still be paid. 

Aren't janitorial staffs typically hourly? I don't think they will be paid. 

16 minutes ago, #freejame said:

@Neo I would imagine if Mrs. Neo works for a public school that the janitors are employed by the city and will still be paid. 

13 minutes ago, Hank said:

Aren't janitorial staffs typically hourly? I don't think they will be paid. 

8 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Fwiw, in the Buffalo City Schools, the school building engineer (who employs the maintenance staff) is actually paid a lump sum (or sums) at or around year’s start, and he (she?) figures everything out from there.

We all, of course, hope it 'ends well' for people in this circumstance.   My mind can't help but wander to what the interim stress is like, even if it ultimately "ends well" with an announcement next week.   There are people sitting home wondering how they'll make a car payment if they have a thirty day break.   There are people reading this who wonder.

If emotional tolls were measurable, we'd see something akin to the stock markets charts.

Edited by Neo

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Well now I know at least one thing that the Sabres Foundation actually does besides sell 50/50 tickets.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Did I once use the word "ham-handed" when describing PSE's public relations?

Don't know, but it sure could be used for some poster's reactions today.  "Figuring it out" /= "we're not going to take care of it."